Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:22 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo

it’s consolidating an entire day’s restaurant charges into one reimbursement that is titled by one of the restaurants from that day.

Yep. It’s been doing this for me too. I am almost at the maximum refund too!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by greenbed
It has nothing to do with tap/swipe/insert - its related to the interchange fees charged to businesses for processing the card. Amex offers payment networks such as square and toast lower interchange fees vs traditional payment processors at restaurants.
For some reason I was thinking the issue was only with tapped transactions and not with other methods.

In any case, AFAIK there haven't been any issues with grocery transactions and the majority of those are likely at larger chains (which probably pay less too). I'm not sure fees are the complete story.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Anyone getting only 1X points for charges from Traders Joe's (grocery store chain in USA)?

it is listed on my statement as Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Trader Joes should credit correctly, discussion here:

What is (or not) included in the U.S. Supermarket category?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:03 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Another stupid question:

This is my first contactless Card.

What are the exact steps for making this work every time? Why do the machines say “Tap”?

how am I supposed to hold the card to the machine and what is a normal length of time til it reads it?

It doesn’t seem to work everywhere it should and when it does it takes awhile.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:35 am

I hope so! As long as you're legitimately spending, I don't see any issue. In fact I just purchased a $250 gc to amazon along with some groceries, coded as 4x. I think Amex limits it's liability here since they cap spending at 25k a year.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 355F1
Another stupid question:

What are the exact steps for making this work every time? Why do the machines say “Tap”?

how am I supposed to hold the card to the machine and what is a normal length of time til it reads it?

Holding the card an inch or so above the terminal--either over the display or the contactless logo--should be sufficient. Ideally it should only need a half second at most to read but that isn't the case a lot of the time (likely because of a combination of US terminals being more optimized for mobile wallet use and bad POS systems).
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:15 am
mia

....Why do the machines say “Tap”?
The industry needed terms to distinguish from swipe, and adopted dip for EMV contact chips, and tap for contactless chips. You can "tap" the cap on the sensor if you wish, but it isn't required, just hold it in close proximity. However, with this metal card it is necessary to hold the back of the card facing the sensor because the metal blocks the chip from the front.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:20 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tmiw
Holding the card an inch or so above the terminal--either over the display or the contactless logo--should be sufficient. Ideally it should only need a half second at most to read but that isn't the case a lot of the time (likely because of a combination of US terminals being more optimized for mobile wallet use and bad POS systems).
Originally Posted by mia
The industry needed terms to distinguish from swipe, and adopted dip for EMV contact chips, and tap for contactless chips. You can "tap" the cap on the sensor if you wish, but it isn't required, just hold it in close proximity. However, with this metal card it is necessary to hold the back of the card facing the sensor because the metal blocks the chip from the front.

So, within the physical card the chip itself has the contactless sensor built in???

I'm seeing the wifi symbol on both sides of the card each facing the opposite direction. lol

Last edited by 355F1; Nov 14, 2018 at 11:26 am
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:32 am
mia

....the physical card the chip itself has the contactless sensor built in?....
The sensor is in the marchant's payment terminal. The card contains a chip that responds to the sensor to identify your account. The chip and its antenna are in the plastic layer on the back of the card. They are not visible. The contactless symbol printed on the card does not designate the location of the chip.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:36 pm

Another stupid question:

I just hover the card face up over the terminal, circling over the entire terminal until it beeps. I think part of the problem is when to do it...the display (if there is one) does not indicate when...I think the cashier has to prompt for payment for the terminal to "turn on". The other problem is I'm not sure where the terminal sensor is particularly if the terminal is large with a keypad and a display. Sometimes it takes a few seconds (while the casher makes odd expressions) to pay, while other times it's quite quick.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:46 pm

Isn't contactless also limited to only $35 or under charges?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acarney
Isn't contactless also limited to only $35 or under charges?
It may have been in the past but my understanding is that the US officially does not have a limit. Of course, you may still need to sign over a certain amount if the merchant didn't opt into the recent no-signature rule changes.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So in my first month with the Gold Card everything that should be coding as 4x, is 4x. With the exception of the known Square issue at one of the breweries, but a beer token is $2 so I'm not going to lose much sleep over that. Oddly if a transaction is under $1, it won't code as 4x even if it is an eligible merchant. Now I didn't intend for the charge to be that low but I had used a gift card as the first method of payment and misjudged how much would be leftover.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Nov 15, 2018 at 12:32 am
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Has anyone bought a gift card at a grocery store yet?

I need to make a $700 hotels.com booking and figured I could just buy a gift card(s) at Safeway.

Just curious if I‘d get the 4x MR points.
I've done it a couple of times already, but just at $100 per transaction. I think a $700 grocery charge might raise some eyebrows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.