Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by vincewy
There must be further delay with this and I've been charging this card by manually entering. Approve 10/20, ordered standard gold, still no shipping notice.
I'm in the 28-32 age group. Male. I went for the rose gold since it was limited edition and figured if it was too odd or overly feminine i could always go back and get the gold but not the other way around. I'm very happy I got it. To be honest in most "romantically dimly lit" restaurants i can't tell the difference between my amex platinum card and my rose gold card. It's very tastefully done.

Another bonus, they're contactless. It's fun to use at 7elevens or starbucks with cashiers that haven't been to europe and have no idea what a contactless card is. They see you just touch the screen with your card and they're just like "wha... what are you doing..." lol
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:27 am

I received the Rose Gold card a few weeks ago because my wife wanted that color (she's an AU). However, Amex just sent me the metal Gold one today for some reason. If I activate the metal Gold card, does that deactivate the Rose Gold card that was sent to me previously?

I reason I am asking is that the Rose Gold color is kind of growing on me. It's more bronze than pinkish, but I would like the option of using both cards.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:32 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Statman
I received the Rose Gold card a few weeks ago because my wife wanted that color (she's an AU). However, Amex just sent me the metal Gold one today for some reason. If I activate the metal Gold card, does that deactivate the Rose Gold card that was sent to me previously?

I reason I am asking is that the Rose Gold color is kind of growing on me. It's more bronze than pinkish, but I would like the option of using both cards.
The words from AmEx are, if you activate the new card, the old cards get de-activated.

For this season, I never activate my Rose gold card. I still use the old plastic card. But AUs get their own cards and they do not have to be activated all together.

Give it a try to see what happens.
Statman likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Statman

Just to give you a data point:

After having activated my Rose Gold card, I was still able to use my plastic gold card for online transactions even though the CVV and expiration date had changed. Though, I have not tried using it in in-person transactions. YMMV.
Statman likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Make sure you have really signed up for the Amex credit. I signed up once (soon after the benefit went live), and then perhaps a couple weeks later, after noticing that Amex kept inviting me to sign up, I signed up again, and it said "enrolled", rather than "you are already signed up". So could it be that some early signups didn't work right?

Anyway, after I did my second signup, I did a GrubHub pickup order ($15ish), and the $10 credit appeared online a day or two after the GrubHub charge actually posted (which in turn was several days after the order was placed). (And the extra MR point for the "earn 1 extra MR point on GrubHub/Seamless" offer I signed up for also posted about the same timing. And that one extra MR point was on the pre-credit amount, ie, the original purchase amount.)
Thanks for the tip, but I had already double checked that I was enrolled (I also signed up when the benefit went live) - even making sure to look on the benefit page where it indicated “enrolled”. I also checked just before I went to Shake Shack.

Out of all my restaurant charges (both billed and unbilled), only 2 of them are not showing the 4x in the detail - this Shake Shack and Philz Coffee - and from what I can see, they were both processed using Square. It seems others have indicated they are missing bonus points for purchases made using Square. I have to wonder if somehow that is affecting not just the missing 4x, but also the missing $10 credit.

Regardless, I’ll have to wait the 4 weeks before Amex will research the missing credit.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Yes, I can still use my plastic Platinum card as well. All of the cards work even when you active a new one, so long as they have the same account number.
Statman likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:26 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Here is what I got from AmEx rep:

As soon as you activate the new metal card, the old card get deactivated automatically

The old card get deactivated as soon as you activate the new card product. As this is just a product change and not a new application..

It seems that the new card is not activated yet. That is the reason the old one is still working. The old card will be working till the time you activate the new card

I guess the AmEx rep is wrong here....
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:30 pm

Some DP. On October 6 I activated Rose gold card and then I requested to get the gold card on Oct 11. I activated the gold card on Oct 19. I kept my Rose gold card that I got on Oct 6 and tried it a couple days ago to see if its still active. The charge went thru when the merchant swiped it. So the card is still active. I tried it again today and charged went thru. Today CS told me that old card stays active for 45 days before it stops working. Both cards have different expiration dates and 4 digit code.
Statman likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:00 pm

DP. I have 4 Platinums floating around. Same card numbers just different 3/4 on front/back and exp month on a few between my wallet, car, travel carry on, and backpack. They all work. I just requested replace damaged card online.
Statman likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lax01
I'm not seeing the Dining benefit reset today...actually, both the Dining and Airfare credit are showing:
Do you have to opt into the $10 dining credit every month??
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uscjeff
No, that screenshot is showing Amex's website's many glitchy moments. This is what I'm seeing. I enrolled last month, no need to re-enroll and it shows YTD savings and the fact that I haven't used it this month.

Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by uscjeff
Nope...the AMEX Benefit portion of the site corrected itself and it shows my $10 dining credit for November now
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keyjey
My statement closed and I have about $120 in restaurant spend that did not earn 4x points. They are mix of square and non-square terminals. Given that I eat at many new places that use Square I may have to rethink on using Amex vs Chase.
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
Out of all my restaurant charges (both billed and unbilled), only 2 of them are not showing the 4x in the detail - this Shake Shack and Philz Coffee - and from what I can see, they were both processed using Square. It seems others have indicated they are missing bonus points for purchases made using Square. I have to wonder if somehow that is affecting not just the missing 4x, but also the missing $10 credit.
Do we know yet whether all Square transactions are not posting, or just certain ones? It could perhaps be a certain model or a certain software version of Square that is causing the problem.

I mainly dine at Rewards Network restaurants (ie, airline and hotel dining programs), and they way RN works is that they "intercept" transactions at registered restaurant terminals, and people were having problems with RN not catching that data (and thus dines not posting automatically) at some Square-using restaurants some time back, but I haven't heard anything about that in many months so I presume RN got it fixed (or else stopped using restaurants with Square?)..

Has any communicated with Amex to find out if they know about a Square-specific issue, or had them start an "investigation" into it (rather than just an investigation into specific dines that didn't post correctly)?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About two weeks ago I requested a simple "replacement card" for my PRG->Gold because it had developed swiping problems at many (though not all) non-chip merchant terminals. Yesterday I got the Gold metal card in the mail. So obviously they're switched over to that completely, and use that for replacements (and not just "metal upgrade" requests).
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
....looks more like bronze to me than rose gold.
I showed the card to ms mia today, in the car (tinted natural overcast light), and she said it looked bronze gold. When I told her that American Express called it rose gold she agreed that was a passable description. To my eye it looks redder in typical retail fluorescent lighting, but never as pink as the online depictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.