Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Just a quick data point - applied on 10/29, just got an e-mail today (11/12) that the card has shipped. Let's hope it is true.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Just want to confirm something that i was told over the weekend via Chat.

We received our new cards a few weeks ago

My wife (AU on my new Gold) wanted to switch hers out to the Rose Gold color and the rep said that both cards have to be the same color. True?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:40 am
TDV

Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto

My wife (AU on my new Gold) wanted to switch hers out to the Rose Gold color and the rep said that both cards have to be the same color. True?
Yes. See Wiki above this page.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by dw
As another data point, I have experienced the same thing-- every single Square transaction has,without fail, posted as 1x points, even though the categories always look correct when they post (i.e. "Merchandise & Supplies- Groceries" and "Restaurant- Restaurant").

I think I'll just start using a different card for places where I see a Square terminal for the time being.
Call and complain about it. The more people who call and complain about the Square issue the more incentive Amex (and maybe Square?) will have to resolve things. A little different, but I had an issue with Toast at a few local restaurants - called up to complain - the CSR looked into it - and now all the restaurants are posting the 4X properly. Small victory, but I put decent annual spends at these places which means thousands of MR points.
mia, sdsearch and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
Call and complain about it. The more people who call and complain about the Square issue the more incentive Amex (and maybe Square?) will have to resolve things. A little different, but I had an issue with Toast at a few local restaurants - called up to complain - the CSR looked into it - and now all the restaurants are posting the 4X properly. Small victory, but I put decent annual spends at these places which means thousands of MR points.
I wonder if that was just an adjustment because you complained - I am not seeing bonus points at any toast restaurant and per the FAQ below amex may not issue bonus points for 3rd party transactions:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ards-info.html

Q: Are there instances when I may not earn additional rewards even though the purchase is in an eligible category?
A: In some cases, you may not receive additional rewards if you make a purchase with a third party because of the way those third parties process payments.

For example, in most cases you will not receive additional rewards on a purchase if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader (e.g. Square, Intuit Go Payment). Also, for example, in most cases you won't receive additional rewards if you make the purchase:
• using a third-party payment account or digital wallet (e.g. PayPal, Google Wallet)
• with a third-party deal site (e.g. Living Social, Groupon)
• with a third-party travel website (e.g. Expedia, Kayak)*
• through a computer hardware, software or cloud computing reseller or online marketplace
• with a wireless service reseller (e.g. BestBuy, Boost Mobile)
• at a merchant located within another establishment (e.g., a restaurant located inside a hotel where the restaurant is coded as a hotel, and not as a restaurant)
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
What’s hilarious about these Square issues is that TryCaviar.com codes as 4x dining, yet they are owned by Square!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:43 am

I think AMEX is covered in that regard, however I'd still push for more support to get the points coded right.

I think at the end of the day if another card is "able" to decipher and award bonus points for that category, Amex should be able to do the same. It shouldn't matter which POS the customer uses. Audit the MCC codes and such if it takes that. Visa/Chase is able to do it, so should Amex.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by thomasengland
I think AMEX is covered in that regard, however I'd still push for more support to get the points coded right.

I think at the end of the day if another card is "able" to decipher and award bonus points for that category, Amex should be able to do the same. It shouldn't matter which POS the customer uses. Audit the MCC codes and such if it takes that. Visa/Chase is able to do it, so should Amex.
I would wager that AMEX is able to differentiate the categories properly through MCC but chooses not to provide bonus points for 3rd party payment systems for business reasons. The swipe fee for mobile payments is likely much lower than a direct swipe fee at a restaurant without square or toast.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by greenbed
I would wager that AMEX is able to differentiate the categories properly through MCC but chooses not to provide bonus points for 3rd party payment systems for business reasons. The swipe fee for mobile payments is likely much lower than a direct swipe fee at a restaurant without square or toast.
I'm not sure what Square pays AmEx, but in general there isn't a difference in how much the merchant pays regardless of whether the card's tapped or inserted.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by dw
As another data point, I have experienced the same thing-- every single Square transaction has,without fail, posted as 1x points, even though the categories always look correct when they post (i.e. "Merchandise & Supplies- Groceries" and "Restaurant- Restaurant").

I think I'll just start using a different card for places where I see a Square terminal for the time being.
I am also getting 1X for Square purchases

They show as:
squareup.com/receipts
Category: Restaurant - Restaurant
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:56 pm

This square thing is quite annoying. So much easier with Chase that there is a such a wider definition of "dining" and travel obviously
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Just got my new card via UPS. The signup bonus is not mentioned anywhere in the materials, is that normal? I had a gold card before, but when I applied I didn't get the warning pop-up. Also, after registering it online under the dining and airline benefits if get a message "status currently unavailable", does anybody else get this?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by drminn
Just got my new card via UPS. The signup bonus is not mentioned anywhere in the materials, is that normal? I had a gold card before, but when I applied I didn't get the warning pop-up. Also, after registering it online under the dining and airline benefits if get a message "status currently unavailable", does anybody else get this?
The sign-up bonus is rarely, if ever, mentioned in the welcome materials.

The "status currently unavailable" is an unfortunate AMEX IT glitch that happens more frequently than one would prefer. Just call or use the chat function if you want to enroll when you receive that message. (Or wait it out.)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm not sure what Square pays AmEx, but in general there isn't a difference in how much the merchant pays regardless of whether the card's tapped or inserted.
It has nothing to do with tap/swipe/insert - its related to the interchange fees charged to businesses for processing the card. Amex offers payment networks such as square and toast lower interchange fees vs traditional payment processors at restaurants.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:19 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Has anyone bought a gift card at a grocery store yet?

I need to make a $700 hotels.com booking and figured I could just buy a gift card(s) at Safeway.

Just curious if I‘d get the 4x MR points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.