Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Why would one category bump shift more than 50% of your spending. Is it that you spend that much on airfare?
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Why would one category bump shift more than 50% of your spending. Is it that you spend that much on airfare?
A few reasons: Both me and my wife fly quite a bit. So, with 5x on airfare, it did not make sense to keep my Prestige, which I was also using for restaurants. Before the announcement, I had been putting almost all of my non category on EDP. That increased even further. So, after 5x announcement, all restaurant spending and non category spending moved to Amex.

A few months after 5x, Amex launched Blue Plus card at 2x MR up to 50K, which increased my Amex spending even further and then the Hilton Ascend cards with a free hotel night after 15K spend. I would say these days, at least 90% of my spending is on Amex cards.

Originally Posted by knopfler
Since they said it bumped up their spend on various Amex's, I'm guessing it just got them more interested in accumulating MR points and using various Amex cards to maximize MR point earning rate.
Exactly! It was far less economical for me to be pay fees and focusing on Citi Thankyou points, ultimate rewards, etc.

I forget the exact sequencing but in May 2017, my cell phone died after 13 months and I filed a claim with Amex Platinum. Not only was the claim resolved within a few days but they did not even ask me to send in the nonworking phone. So my trust in Amex went up several folds. Their 2 cent MR redemption if you had the Business Platinum card was also fantastic for me. Throw in EDP and a few months later the launch of 2x Blue Plus card, followed by Hilton Ascend, and Amex cards pretty much my default spending cards.

Originally Posted by RedSun
Those are human decisions, not computer decisions. Computers are more rational, optimal and scientific.
On the contrary, it was pure economics and quantitative. It made no sense for me to keep Citi Prestige card for restaurant spending. All my dining and non category spending was now on EDP. So, EDP, for a short while was my main MR spending cards (these days it’s Blue Plus which does not have any AF). Platinum was and still is my default card for airfare and high ticket items where I need price, purchase and extended warranty protection.

Also, there were two simultaneous announcements by Amex – 5x on airfare and 2 cent MR redemption for airfare if had Business Platinum. This made it a no brainer for me.

Last edited by mia; Sep 27, 2018 at 5:56 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
if the $120 dining credit was not limited to a few places ... I would probably go for this. Otherwise there are other cards with 4x dining benefits etc. that cost much less or nothing at all.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:24 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jediwho
On the contrary, it was pure economics and quantitative. It made no sense for me to keep Citi Prestige card for restaurant spending. All my dining and non category spending was now on EDP. So, EDP, for a short while was my main MR spending cards (these days it’s Blue Plus which does not have any AF). Platinum was and still is my default card for airfare and high ticket items where I need price, purchase and extended warranty protection.

Also, there were two simultaneous announcements by Amex – 5x on airfare and 2 cent MR redemption for airfare if had Business Platinum. This made it a no brainer for me.
You can get super excited. But not me. I get all lines of CCs, Chase UR, AmEx MR, Citi TY, even BA and Wells Fargo. I just switch the spending on the fly. I only cut the CCs if I can't get positive returns....
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
if the $120 dining credit was not limited to a few places ... I would probably go for this. Otherwise there are other cards with 4x dining benefits etc. that cost much less or nothing at all.
Which other cards offer 4x points for restaurants?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Statman
Which other cards offer 4x points for restaurants?
The Barclay's Uber card and the Capital One Savor card.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The Barclay's Uber card and the Capital One Savor card.
They offer 4% cashback which is a far cry from 4x transferable points currency.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jags86

They offer 4% cashback which is a far cry from 4x transferable points currency.
I agree it's different. cfischer stated that there were other cards that offered 4x dining benefit and that's the point I was attempting to amplify.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RedSun
You can get super excited. But not me. I get all lines of CCs, Chase UR, AmEx MR, Citi TY, even BA and Wells Fargo. I just switch the spending on the fly. I only cut the CCs if I can't get positive returns....
I am much more focused on ROE and not just positive return. Even today I get close to 2.5x MR per $ of spending. With 30% and 40% bonuses, it's closer to 3.5x. With PGR, it could get closer to 3x and 4x respectively. Hard to beat that aside from quarterly Freedom categories where you are capped at $1,500.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:28 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jediwho
I am much more focused on ROE and not just positive return. Even today I get close to 2.5x MR per $ of spending. With 30% and 40% bonuses, it's closer to 3.5x. With PGR, it could get closer to 3x and 4x respectively. Hard to beat that aside from quarterly Freedom categories where you are capped at $1,500.
Sure that is great for you. 2x MR is the very basic floor. Some people get multiple Chase Freedom, Discover and Citi Dividend. Sky is the limit.

I'm just not tied to just one reward program... Even if I get $100 out of certain card, I still keep it. Then I get $1,000 if I keep 10 of those CCs. I care less about ROE. Nothing is better than cold cash, or warm reward points.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
do you understand how grubhub and seamless work? They aren't “a few places...” if you live anywhere near civilization (a city) then you have access to almost any restaurant that cooks food near you.

Last edited by PHLondoner; Sep 28, 2018 at 8:30 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by PHLondoner

do you understand how grubhub and seemleas work? They arent “a few places...” if you live anywhere near civilization (a city) then you have access to almost any restaruant that cooks food near you.
And as I just learned this week, I thought grubhub was delivery only but you can also pickup. That is an easy $10 spent every month.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:32 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are they getting rid of the $100 airlines credit with this refresh?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:59 am

Apparently airline credit and AF will stay the same....

GrubHub and Seamless are far from "everywhere" (near any city), I live in an area of ~200k and neither service this area, but UberEats does.

Anyone able to get the 50k offer to show? All the blogs say it's still "easily available" but I haven't been able to get it to show after trying a number of devices, a couple different IPs, a VPN, and the "Chinese site" method. I'm guessing 25k is the highest bonus that's actually available right now....

Still might get this card, drop by Safeway once a month and buy a ~$400 VISA/MC gift card so I can earn the 4x bonus on grocery (I shop at Fred Meyer/Kroger stores) and shift some of my dining to this card. The CSR probably will only get used now on hotel stays since I can still earn the bonus on direct booking those (come on Amex, update that platinum card with a bonus on direct hotel booking and crush the top of the market again!)
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by petey2428
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are they getting rid of the $100 airlines credit with this refresh?
No.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by acarney
Apparently airline credit and AF will stay the same....

GrubHub and Seamless are far from "everywhere" (near any city), I live in an area of ~200k and neither service this area, but UberEats does.

Anyone able to get the 50k offer to show? All the blogs say it's still "easily available" but I haven't been able to get it to show after trying a number of devices, a couple different IPs, a VPN, and the "Chinese site" method. I'm guessing 25k is the highest bonus that's actually available right now....

Still might get this card, drop by Safeway once a month and buy a ~$400 VISA/MC gift card so I can earn the 4x bonus on grocery (I shop at Fred Meyer/Kroger stores) and shift some of my dining to this card. The CSR probably will only get used now on hotel stays since I can still earn the bonus on direct booking those (come on Amex, update that platinum card with a bonus on direct hotel booking and crush the top of the market again!)
I applied with a 50k yesterday. took a while to get that though as it appeared 3 times prior but wouldn't let me get to the application page but finally i got one that did.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.