Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 355F1
Works at Denny's too!

I'm on the road working so I figured I'd try it.

The cashier was in awe....haha/
It works basically anywhere that already takes mobile wallets, which is more places than one would expect. Around me, I could easily have the majority of my transactions being such if I didn't eat out nearly as often; that definitely wasn't the case a few years ago.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:37 am

Has anyone tried buying GrubHub gift cards in the app? Does it trigger the $10 credit?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:06 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by coltonatx
Has anyone tried buying GrubHub gift cards in the app? Does it trigger the $10 credit?
I see so much trouble to use the $10/month credit.... There are many other ways that you can pick up a $10/month easily.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by RedSun
I see so much trouble to use the $10/month credit.... There are many other ways that you can pick up a $10/month easily.
found a local restaurant 2 blocks away from my office. if i order and pickup, i get the best bang for the buck. guess i'll be going there once a month (unwillingly), just to use the credit. lol
RedSun likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:24 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by twkidM3
found a local restaurant 2 blocks away from my office. if i order and pickup, i get the best bang for the buck. guess i'll be going there once a month (unwillingly), just to use the credit. lol
This, along with the Saks shopping credit, is one of the most absurd benefits we've seen. They are so narrow focused and force people to change the lifestyle or habit.

At least for the Uber credit, you can just add the card to your account and forget about it. Low maintenance. But this dining credit is not like that.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by 355F1
Works at Denny's too!

I'm on the road working so I figured I'd try it.

The cashier was in awe....haha/
Which is sad because to people in other first world nations, it's normal and nobody bats an eye.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Which is sad because to people in other first world nations, it's normal and nobody bats an eye.
That's just because it's still relatively uncommon. It's the same reason why people comment on my CSR being metal on occasion.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
This, along with the Saks shopping credit, is one of the most absurd benefits we've seen. They are so narrow focused and force people to change the lifestyle or habit.

At least for the Uber credit, you can just add the card to your account and forget about it. Low maintenance. But this dining credit is not like that.
its great for me my local pizza and Chinese places are on seemless, don’t charge delivery fees, and allow pick up.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:37 am

Amex doesn't force you to change anything. I understand that you are trying to extract as much value as possible, we all do, but it's unreasonable to "blame" Amex.

The dining credit is similar to the Uber credit. You enroll and forget about it.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards

That's why you have to be careful on how you do the math to see if any card makes sense for you...

If it's an expense that you would incur anyway = reimbursement
If you are spending just because you have a statement credit = an expense (shouldn't count to offset the card AF)

I use Uber regularly and order from GrubHub at least once a month = uber and gold dining credit reimbursement.
I never, ever, have any incidental fees on an airline, if it weren't for the airline gift cards trick, I wouldn't consider that a reimbursement.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:51 pm

I received an upgrade offer to this card. Has anyone received this?
I don't think though, that it comes with any bonus points with spend. If so, then no thanks. I'm not spending $250 without receiving 25k bonus points.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Beat2Def
I received an upgrade offer to this card.....
Upgrade to Gold from which card?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by twkidM3
The Chinese restaurant next to door to store is on GrubHub. I bought my employee lunch the other day. I guess I'll Chinese food every month now. 👍🏼
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
Precisely the point and why those companies pay American express for the honor of giving free stuff to their customers. Changing a habit of the most highly coveted consumer base? Priceless.

RedSun likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
That's just because it's still relatively uncommon. It's the same reason why people comment on my CSR being metal on occasion.
I'll compare contactless cards to another technology... Cell phones.

We're stuck in the "dumb phone" era when it comes to credit cards, while most of the world is in the "smartphone" era.

It's like our cashiers live under a rock here. "Wowww!!!! you can tap your card to pay??!!." Next time a cashier does that to me, I'll just say, "yes, and it's not uncommon in places with up to date technology, so you just look like a fool by acting all surprised."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.