Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Did you purchase the gift cards on a mobile device, by chance? If so, there is a likely probability you will not be reimbursed. See the wiki at the top of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l-only-34.html
I bought it on my iPad.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by jags86

I bought it on my iPad.
My delta giftcard was coded 3x.. Got my reimbursement already. I bought on computer though.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jags86

I bought it on my iPad.
That is the reason why you dont get the reimbursement.

iPad is classified as Mobile device.
Hence it went thru different channel.

You need to use a computer whether it is a destop or a laptop, in order to be billed directly by DL, for the purpose you buy it. It is clearly said in the wiki of the related thread when this change happened at the beginning of this year and people found this out the hard way.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Received the rose gold cards. Good for lady. I do not want to carry it in my wallet. I chose to carry the classy plastic gold card, along with the Chase CSR, Ritz and AmEx Plat.
You keep buttery crackers in your wallet between your credit cards? That sounds like a pretty good idea.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Happy
Alright, for those who are very keen to find out whether their spends earn category bonuses, now there is an easier way despite it would still not giving you the past 5 to 7 days posted spend, but would give you the whole picture on one single click -

Go to Statement and Activities, choose Year to-date, i.e. January 1, 2018 to present.

Then you will see the neat little box next to each transaction if it earns category bonus.

On my card, the update is up to Oct 11 posted transactions. From Oct 12, the posted transactions remain no box attached - but they are the same merchants all along, so I know by default they will earn the 4x.
The only merchant remains not earning category bonus is that Caribbean grocer. It was also the same merchant that years ago used payment processor's MCC therefore it was First Data versus its own account, hence did not qualify for the Small Business Saturday, if anyone still remembers such promotion.
Just did this to check all of mine to date and everything looks right. Interestingly, I'm also getting 2x at AMC movie theaters (the dine-in kind) for both tickets (coded as entertainment - theatrical events) and the meal inside the theater itself. That's odd. The MR details say it qualified as a US Restaurant. The only weird quirk with my earnings was that Eat24, before it merged with Grubhub, did NOT earn 2x as a US Restaurant but once it joined up with GrubHub, it got 2x and now 4x. I also did get my October $10 credit for a GrubHub order earlier this week.

Looking at this Year to Date summary also shows me that I am getting 2x, and now 4x, at the liquor store attached to my local Publix. Florida doesn't allow liquor sales within grocery stores, but Publix often has a separate liquor store attached to or adjacent to the same building, and it is also showing as Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries. Supplies they are indeed ^
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:52 am

Is the $10/mo dining credit based on calendar month or statement period?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Appears to be calendar month:

$120 Dining Credit

To receive this benefit, Card Members must enroll. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on a U.S. Consumer Gold Card Account can enroll in the benefit. Traditional Gold, Senior Gold, Classic Gold and Ameriprise Gold Cards are not eligible. Eligible purchases must be charged to a Card Member on the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases by both the Basic Card Member and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a $10 statement credit per month, for a total of $120 per calendar year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Participating partners are Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House and participating Shake Shack locations. Excludes Shake Shack locations in ballparks, stadiums, airports and racetracks.

Not valid on gift cards or merchandise purchases. Only valid for transactions completed in the United States of America, and US Territories. Please allow 2-4 weeks after an eligible purchase is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. American Express relies on the merchant to process transactions within the same calendar month that you made the purchase in order to apply the $10 monthly statement credit in the month that it was intended. For example, if you make an eligible purchase on the last day of the month, but the merchant doesn't process that transaction until the next day, then the statement credit would be applied in the following month. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the benefit, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not be eligible if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must not be canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information, call the number on the back of your Card.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

similar to annual for airlines and hotels
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by keyjey
Uhh...not seeing bonus categories on many of my restaurant purchases. Going to wait and let Amex figure it out. Wonder if this annoyance is gonna make people go back to CSP or CSR.
I'd call in and elevate it. I'm having issues where restaurants I was receiving bonuses on in September I no longer am receiving bonuses at w/ my new Gold. I called in, they confirmed the issue and are "looking into it." I think the more folks who complain about this, the likelier we are to see a result.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Calendar month.

Also seems the transaction needs to be posted before the month ends. Though I am not sure why anyone would take the last day to do their transactions for the benefit. Similar to some people wait till the last day to use their Free Night certs and only to find out they have lost it due to time zone difference, or some certs require the stay FINISHES on the date of expiration... You have a full month to use the credit / full year to use the FN cert, no reason to wait till the Very Last moment.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I PC'd my normal Plat down to a Gold yesterday as my Plat AF hit late last month. As of tonight the app and website is showing my new Rose Gold card and the benefits, so now to wait for it to arrive. In the meantime I guess I'll be taking my faux Gold card to dinner at Shake Shack tomorrow or Saturday.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by keyjey
Uhh...not seeing bonus categories on many of my restaurant purchases. Going to wait and let Amex figure it out. Wonder if this annoyance is gonna make people go back to CSP or CSR.
I've got these recent purchases:
  • Category: Restaurant - Restaurant, no bonus indicated.
  • Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries, 4X bonus indicated.
  • Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries, no bonus indicated.
  • Category: Restaurant - Bar & Café, no bonus indicated.
1/4. 25% success rate. Not looking good here, Amex. The fact that my $195.00 renewal fee posted in between all of these transactions is just icing on the nasty cake.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
I've got these recent purchases:
  • Category: Restaurant - Restaurant, no bonus indicated.
  • Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries, 4X bonus indicated.
  • Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries, no bonus indicated.
  • Category: Restaurant - Bar & Café, no bonus indicated.
1/4. 25% success rate. Not looking good here, Amex. The fact that my $195.00 renewal fee posted in between all of these transactions is just icing on the nasty cake.
takes more than a week before things properly post. or wait til statement ends and check again.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by gengar
I'll also note that with my Plat, the 5x bonus on airfare sometimes will not show up until the statement closes.
As a side note to this, I just noticed on my AMEX Plat recent activity that none of my seven airline ticket purchases this cycle show the 5x bonus, so this does seem to be a pretty common problem. But the bonus indicator always shows up after the statement closes and I have been receiving the bonuses in past months.
Diplomatico and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by twkidM3
takes more than a week before things properly post. or wait til statement ends and check again.
Fair enough... except one in the middle of those four already posted the bonus while all those around it haven't, including those the very next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.