Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by mia
The $10 per month Dining credit can now also be used at Boxed, which has been a frequent advertiser in Amex Offers.
Great news as I don't have one of the participating restaurants near me! Already placed an order this morning
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Statman
I was in Spain for about two weeks recently and went out for lunch and dinner everyday. Every restaurant I went to accepted Amex.
Interesting. My sister is in Spain right now and finds she can't use her Amex at most restaurants. We are headed there next month and will bring my CSR as a backup.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by amexman
Interesting.will bring my CSR as a backup.
I take 2 MC Citi-Barclay, 2 Visa Capital One-Chase and an Amex Platinum in case something goes wrong with a bank or network.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mia
The $10 per month Dining credit can now also be used at Boxed...
Originally Posted by theranj
.... Already placed an order this morning
I placed a Boxed order on June 7, and the $10 credit posted on June 10.

Not as easy as I expected to find something we need on Boxed. I hope to find something(s) I can setup as a monthly recurring order, but further investigation is required.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I hope to find something(s) I can setup as a monthly recurring order...
That's a great idea. I will look into it as well.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
As an update to my Vegas club experiences with the PRG in post 1370, bottle service at Encore Beach Club did not earn 4x. I would assume then that the other Wynncore clubs, XS and Intrigue, will also not award 4x.

Perhaps interestingly, this was during their night event and the merchant was specifically named "EBC At Night", so this does leave open the possibility that the daytime merchant is coded differently.

So the current list:

4X: Tao, Lavo, Drai's, Hyde, Hakkasan

No: Omnia, Marquee, EBC (and therefore probably not XS/Intrigue)

As noted by others in this thread, purchases at the bar may code differently (specifically, Omnia).
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Just got this card. Anyone plan on holding the

Chase Trifecta
Sapphire Reserve + Freedom Unlimited + Freedom

and the
Amex Double
Amex Platinum + Amex Gold

Long term? This would mean $1,250 in annual fees. Not sure if that makes sense - the credits on all of these cards are useful I guess, but it is a lot of annual fees...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: spg gold
How does AmerExp feel about large purchases at the grocery store?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
How does AmerExp feel about large purchases at the grocery store?
I spend 25 k per year in groceries in 2k increments...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
Contacted AmEx. Some changes (benefits) will come to the PRG card, all card holders, on 10/4/2018. The CSR won't disclose the details since they are not final to them. I figure the new benefits will come to all of us.

At least AmEx is doing something right with this card....
zcan you say which is better?

Originally Posted by mhdena
I take 2 MC Citi-Barclay, 2 Visa Capital One-Chase and an Amex Platinum in case something goes wrong with a bank or network.
this is helpful, thanks

Originally Posted by Adelphos

Chase Trifecta

and the
Amex Double

Long term? This would mean $1,250 in annual fees. Not sure if that makes sense - the credits on all of these cards are useful I guess, but it is a lot of annual fees...
I'm working on the amex platinum, but not ready quite yet to commit to the AF

Last edited by mia; Jun 12, 2019 at 10:27 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:08 pm

Chase Trifecta

and the
Amex Double

That’s a lot of overlap. I wouldn’t be able to make it worth it.

Really what I’d prefer most of all is to go the other way. If I could get a preferred gold card with a slightly higher AF but expanded benefits that could go head to head with the CSR, it’d probably be all I carried.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:14 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

Chase Trifecta

and the
Amex Double

I hold all of these at the moment (except for the Freedom Unlimited, which I haven't gotten around to). I agree that the annual fees start to feel ridiculous, but it's hard to rule out any individual one when I consider the value that each one gives me. On the one hand I feel like if I were going to cut one, the Amex Gold would be the first to go, since 4x on restaurants is nice but maybe not nice enough vs. 3x restaurants on the CSR to be worth the extra card. I probably wouldn't drop the CSR since 3x on other travel categories is worth a lot to me. And I still like the perks of the Platinum. But so many fees...and so much time spend making sure to get my Gold restaurant credit and Platinum Uber credit each month, and all the various other credits onward from there.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by bgriff
.... I agree that the annual fees start to feel ridiculous, but it's hard to rule out any individual one when I consider the value that each one gives me..
The story of my life...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Contacted AmEx. Some changes (benefits) will come to the PRG card, all card holders, on 10/4/2018. The CSR won't disclose the details since they are not final to them. I figure the new benefits will come to all of us.

At least AmEx is doing something right with this card....so now we are going back in time?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by barrytuneup
....so now we are going back in time?
RedSun's post is from last year, quoted by Leslie Scotland, a new member, who read the thread from the beginning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.