Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:56 pm

So we are lucky. My husband and I ordered food thru gruhub on the last day of a month 3 times. His dining credit is also $80 from Jan-Aug.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:44 pm

yes that is normal!! Dont forget the 250.00 fee. Im seriously considering canceling in Oct a few weeks before the fee hits my acct. I can do better with my other Amex and Chase cards. Did have great signup bonus tho. Since my family is not into traveling anymore..basically useless.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by joytatee
So we are lucky. My husband and I ordered food thru gruhub on the last day of a month 3 times. His dining credit is also $80 from Jan-Aug.
thank you for the info. if i ever procrastinate, i will try a grubhub order early afternoon and clear the credit. pretty sure it works because its an online order system so its faster vs in-store POS where there is a nightly batch processing/accounting hence the next day posting.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:56 pm

What is the usual SUB for the Gold? I have a 50k offer at the moment and I would like to know how it compares to past offers.

Also have a 100k offer for the Plat but I think I will pass on that one for now.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: UR and MR
usual SUB for non-referrals is 35k, and with referrals is 40k. you can get a 50k SUB with a referral and incognito trick
Dream of Flying likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:42 am

Thank you @ToastedSi.

Tempted. But think I will still find the travel credit difficult to use.

Last edited by Dream of Flying; Aug 25, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:33 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I asked AMEX CS to have their MR team review a charge at a large Chinese/Dim Sum Restaurant that seemingly coded as a restaurant in the consumer facing charge details but like some other restaurants didn’t code correctly for the 4x points. After about seven weeks, I finally heard back today that the charge was reviewed and they determined it does not qualify for the restaurant bonus points.

I’ve used my Citi Prestige at this restaurant many times and have never had issues with it coding as a restaurant and getting the 5x points on that card. Definitely not impressed with AMEX in this situation.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by dw
I asked AMEX CS to have their MR team review a charge at a large Chinese/Dim Sum Restaurant that seemingly coded as a restaurant in the consumer facing charge details but like some other restaurants didn’t code correctly for the 4x points. After about seven weeks, I finally heard back today that the charge was reviewed and they determined it does not qualify for the restaurant bonus points.

I’ve used my Citi Prestige at this restaurant many times and have never had issues with it coding as a restaurant and getting the 5x points on that card. Definitely not impressed with AMEX in this situation.
What did they label the charge? That really sucks especially when you know it's a restaurant. I don't have these problems ...h visa
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by dw

Unfortunately, same experience as noted by many in this thread - myself included. As I also previously mentioned, the disparity in treatment as far as 4x adjustments is of further disappointment.
dw likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:25 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by trikotret

What did they label the charge? That really sucks especially when you know it's a restaurant. I don't have these problems ...h visa
In my activity, the charge posted as “Restaurant- Bar & Cafe.” In their written response to me, AMEX only stated that the charge was not qualifying, with no further explanation.

I understand that there are additional layers of data when charges post that are not visible to us, and when the card first launched, AMEX used that as a reason why some restaurants that posted as “restaurants” didn’t trigger the bonus points. That being said, it seems a little ridiculous that they would manually review a charge coded as “Restaurant- Bar & Cafe” and determine it is not a qualifying charge.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by dw

In my activity, the charge posted as “Restaurant- Bar & Cafe.” In their written response to me, AMEX only stated that the charge was not qualifying, with no further explanation.

I understand that there are additional layers of data when charges post that are not visible to us, and when the card first launched, AMEX used that as a reason why some restaurants that posted as “restaurants” didn’t trigger the bonus points. That being said, it seems a little ridiculous that they would manually review a charge coded as “Restaurant- Bar & Cafe” and determine it is not a qualifying charge.
What I don't understand is why Amex is so strict vs Chase being so liberal.

Case in point - there's a beer shop near me that also functions as a bar. It codes as Restaurant - Bar and Cafe, but doesn't get 4x on Amex Gold, but always gets 3x on Chase. It was a 20 dollar purchase, so its not worth arguing with Amex, but it's just frustrating as it seems like if Amex was less strict, it wouldn't be an issue. It also leads me to being hesitant about using my Amex Gold unless i'm 100% confident it'll post as 4x.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
...strict,...
Every credit card that offers category bonuses has this problem.

The merchant, or more likely their acquirer, chose a classification for each card network. The VISA classifications are not interchangeable with American Express classifications. Perhaps the Amex classification that these merchants chose are used primarily by others that are a not restaurants. Fixing your problem may cause another problem elsewhere.
farwest101 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:53 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by gengar
Unfortunately, same experience as noted by many in this thread - myself included. As I also previously mentioned, the disparity in treatment as far as 4x adjustments is of further disappointment.
Agree with the disparity being odd. I had a few missing bonuses that I followed up on and had no problem getting them fixed (except for one, which was me trying to stretch what might qualify anyway).

But, I have also noticed that in the last few months I've also had many fewer issues with missing bonuses, even at the types of places where I was having frequent issues back late last year and early this year (especially restaurants and cafes using Square and other similar "modern" POS systems). I wonder if Amex might have made some more fundamental change to how they were figuring out which places qualified, and correspondingly have become less willing to make manual adjustments because they feel they have mostly fixed the problem? Obviously some places will still fall through the cracks, but for me it's been months since I've had an issue.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
But, I have also noticed that in the last few months I've also had many fewer issues with missing bonuses, even at the types of places where I was having frequent issues back late last year and early this year (especially restaurants and cafes using Square and other similar "modern" POS systems). I wonder if Amex might have made some more fundamental change to how they were figuring out which places qualified, and correspondingly have become less willing to make manual adjustments because they feel they have mostly fixed the problem? Obviously some places will still fall through the cracks, but for me it's been months since I've had an issue.
As have I. Even my local coffee shops on Square and Toast are now giving me the 4x - which is pretty great considering I spend about $6/day/365days a year on coffee. The only annoying issue I've had is that my Wawa in the city - across the street from my house - (not a gas station Wawa) used to code as 2x - which was fantastic while it lasted. But in the last few months they have caught onto my ruse - or Wawa changed how its store only locations were coded... No more 2x for my sizzlis...
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
.... in the last few months they have caught onto my ruse - or Wawa changed how its store only locations were coded... No more 2x for my sizzlis...
Bear in mind that 2X for gasoline was removed from the Gold card when it was refreshed, but existing cardholders retained it for a period, which the Wikipost shows continuing to October. Perhaps it expired sooner for individual accounts based on opening date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.