Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
I'm fairly certain that the higher prices are set by the restaurants themselves, who also have to pay the middlemen a cut of their revenue.
Yup, that $10 "credit" is really worth $5, at best. So all those credit card shills, er, "travel experts doing it for friends and family" who say you're getting $120 a year in credits (to justify paying $250 Annual Fees) are just slimebags with a hand into your pocket.

Their motto is: "your good credit is our best asset - CLICK HERE!"
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by linglingfool
I'm fairly certain that the higher prices are set by the restaurants themselves, who also have to pay the middlemen a cut of their revenue.
Of course restaurants have to raise prices to cover the ~30% cut. The end result for the consumer is pragmatically identical.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by farwest101
Yup, that $10 "credit" is really worth $5, at best"
Eh I use mine as a monthly Shake Shack treat. The price is the same whether I pay with an Amex Gold or whatever else. Grubhub/Seamless can be cancers on local restaurants and us, inflating cost throughout the system in the name of convenience.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trikotret
Anyone notice that the GrubHub prices are more than if you buy directly from restaurant? I noticed my pick up order was way more than the restaurant. So much for using the AMEX $10 credit.
It depends on the restaurant. One restaurant I use in my area gives a 25% discount for doing the GrubHub pickup mid-afternoon on Saturday, which is when I want it anyway. They don't offer this discount when dining in at that time. So in that case, the GrubHub prices are LESS than if eat in at the restaurant (putting possible different tipping aside).

Having said that: I didn't use delivery or pickup much before this monthly credit, and I'm having trouble finding dishes that transition from dining in to picking up well. Single dishes tend to work better, multi-item dishes where some things are cold and some things are hot many restaurants haven't figured out how to package it well for pickup. So at first I was elated that a favorite restaurant of mine which had dropped out of airline dining programs (Rewards Network) half a year ago was in GrubHub, but then most of my favorite dishes just didn't translate to pickup very well. So that's actually my bigger gripe with GrubHub, I wish it worked as a pre-paid dine-in service too.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I live in Los Angeles, and most restaurants donít mark up for pickup on Grubhub in my experience

however, I wouldnít blame them if they did. Grubhub takes a significant cut of their business in an already low-margin game. Eat the two extra dollars and enjoy your credit! Jeez
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by farwest101
Yup, that $10 "credit" is really worth $5, at best. So all those credit card shills, er, "travel experts doing it for friends and family" who say you're getting $120 a year in credits (to justify paying $250 Annual Fees) are just slimebags with a hand into your pocket.

Their motto is: "your good credit is our best asset - CLICK HERE!"
With the recent Amex credits, it makes sense that if you are going out of your way to do something, itís not a credit. With several thousand of organic Uber/Grubhub spend annually, the Uber / Grubhub credits are worth face value
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
With the recent Amex credits, it makes sense that if you are going out of your way to do something, it’s not a credit. With several thousand of organic Uber/Grubhub spend annually, the Uber / Grubhub credits are worth face value
I would think it depends on the level of "out of your way". If you're simply picking up an order instead of eating in (or ordering pickup directly) at the same or similar restaurant and paying about the same (which it is in my case), that's slightly "out of your way", but I'd still view that as a credit. if you're picking up an order instead of cooking your own food, that is very "out of your way", and indeed I would not view that as a credit.

Then there are cases where it's a credit but a diminished credit. For example, if you're giving up a $5 discount to get the food another way, you're only effectively getting a $5 net credit, rather than either $10 credit or no credit.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:49 pm

They should really treat this card as real Travel card. Get extra MRs for booking hotels directly or through travel agency instead of only directly Amex site. Just like the CSR card. They should also apply the $10 credit to any restaurant.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Agree about the hotels. The $10 credit is likely funded by the participating companies and not AMEX so it’s unlikely the rebate would be open to any restaurant. Fortunately almost all restaurants around me are available via seamless so I’ve been able to use the credit every month.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jags86
Agree about the hotels. The $10 credit is likely funded by the participating companies and not AMEX so it’s unlikely the rebate would be open to any restaurant. Fortunately almost all restaurants around me are available via seamless so I’ve been able to use the credit every month.
I can use it every month but the value of that credit is debatable. For example, I'll sometimes order a shrimp and bacon burrito from a local taco shop. If I went to pick it up, it would be about $12 with tax.

For GrubHub delivery, it's closer to $18 when including delivery charge and tip. So I'm "saving" $4 with my credit. Meh.

The GrubHub credit is certainly not a reason to keep this card, IMO.
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I can use it every month but the value of that credit is debatable. For example, I'll sometimes order a shrimp and bacon burrito from a local taco shop. If I went to pick it up, it would be about $12 with tax.

For GrubHub delivery, it's closer to $18 when including delivery charge and tip. So I'm "saving" $4 with my credit. Meh.

The GrubHub credit is certainly not a reason to keep this card, IMO.
If the local taco shop is on grubhub you can order for pick up.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:50 pm

I still think the GrubHub prices are more than actually paying directly to restaurant. I compared prices at this takeout lunch and it was not difference in price
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
I still think the GrubHub prices are more than actually paying directly to restaurant. I compared prices at this takeout lunch and it was not difference in price
Ok well all I can say is it works for me but I appreciate it doesnít work for everyone. I still think itís likely Seamless/Cheesecake Factory/Shake Shack is supporting the $10 credit.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Not true. In my geographic area, some restaurants are delivery only, some are pick-up, some are both.

If you get full value from the credit though, great. ^
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:26 pm

do not understand thinking here!! I use a deli near me and buy a turkey sand. with some extras. Use Seamless.. bill with tax is 10.42. Pickup. 3 days later 10.00 bonus attaches...balance is 1.26 for 3 months. Already maxed out 25k at groceries. Will cancel card after Oct deli purchase. 250 fee is how AMEX makes $$

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.