Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
do not understand thinking here!! I use a deli near me and buy a turkey sand. with some extras. Use Seamless.. bill with tax is 10.42. Pickup. 3 days later 10.00 bonus attaches...balance is 1.26 for 3 months. Already maxed out 25k at groceries. Will cancel card after Oct deli purchase. 250 fee is how AMEX makes $$
? $250 fee is a money loser for Amex for those who MS. 100K MRs a year is worth $1250 cash via Schwab - and quite a bit more if you can use transfer bonuses. $250 AF less $100 airline credit less $120 food credit. $30 to earn $1250+. And you cancel the best MS card in the market? SMH.

I plan to get as many Gold's as I can.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by farwest101
? $250 fee is a money loser for Amex for those who MS. 100K MRs a year is worth $1250 cash via Schwab - and quite a bit more if you can use transfer bonuses. $250 AF less $100 airline credit less $120 food credit. $30 to earn $1250+. And you cancel the best MS card in the market? SMH.

I plan to get as many Gold's as I can.
The argument has some serious flaws.

1) not everyone engages in MS.

2) even someone engages in MS, his grocery stores may not sell any high value Gebit, or even the chain does, may not take CC. Off the top of my head, locations in this country incl South Floirda (no Gebit at $500 is available), SoCal, either no CC purchase or very serious fraudulent issues on tempered Gebits that makes it high risk, plus the liquidation avenues are extremely limited (both North Cali and South Calie, as well as a good part of NY)

3) The Schwab translation is just a gross amount, without taking into the costs associated with MS activity - even just the actual cash outlay, not counting the time / effort / gas running around. And that is contingent to the MS activity per your post.

The transfer to partners all depends on how much the balances in the corresponding FFP accounts. As an example, in our household, we have not taken any transfer bonus to BA the past 4 years when our BA household account still has over 400K with our usage rate at less than 50/60K a year, often only 20 to 30K, for the intra Japan/Asia/Australia that at 4.5K to 10K a piece.

4) The airline credit is hard to use because the GC routes have been dead as a nail, plus you can only use it on one airline for the calendar year. Unless you incur incidental charges all the time on the chosen airline you fly during the calendar year, this benefit pretty much is useless, if not worthless, to many people.

5) Same thing can be said to the dining credit with the very limited options. Grub / Seamless not working well in where I live. I would drop by Cheesecake once a month when it is convenient on our errands route to buy a low value GC, then the next month on the similar errands route I order lunch pick up, paid partly with the prev month GC and balance on the Gold card. Still it feels out of our way because we normally dont eat at Cheesecake factory.

For the above reasons even my Gold card only has $195 fee (grandfathered on a target offer first year fee waived), I have no desire to keep the card, but a $150 dining credit retention offer kept me for the 2nd year even though I may end up only "earn" $100 dining credit versus the $150 cap due to we only have 2 months to "earn" it as the credit only works on US restaurant and we would be out of the country on the last 30 days out of the 90 days earning period.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:17 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
.... dining credit with the very limited options. Grub / Seamless not working well in where I live. ....
Bear in mind that the credit now also applies to Boxed.com. While the product assortment is limited, and their warehouse needs to hire someone from Amazon to teach them how to pack, I manage to place one order per month for things we do consume, and collect the $10 credit without going out of my way.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Bear in mind that the credit now also applies to Boxed.com. While the product assortment is limited, and their warehouse needs to hire someone from Amazon to teach them how to pack, I manage to place one order per month for things we do consume, and collect the $10 credit without going out of my way.
Thanks for the reminder. I did look at Boxed.com a while ago but did not find stuff that interest me. Lots of the items offered are just to big in size. Will take a better look when I have more time to go over the site more thoroughly.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:47 pm

I think the credits are, at this stage, just too limited. If they add more dining/retail partners I think it would have a broader appeal, but if you're going out of your way to shop at Boxed or Cheesecake just to use the credit, I would think you're better off not paying the AF in the first place and not having the card.
Happy and Drewm33 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kdm31091
.... if you're going out of your way.... just to use the credit, I would think you're better off not paying the AF in the first place and not having the card.
The credit is not important to my decision to keep the card. Previously, I was going out of my way to buy Whole Foods Market gift cards at Staples with Chase INK Cash. This earned 5 UR points per dollar on the WFM portion of my shopping, and I earned 2 points per dollar at the other supermarket. Now I earn 4 points per dollar at both supermarkets, and only go to Staples when I actually need office supplies. The simplicity and convenience is worth the fee, for me.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:42 am

I kinda slowed down using this card since all of my experience ...h wrong restaurant codings. It became annoying to keep chatting and getting it fixed. Plus I don't travel very often. That's why I stick to cash back cards. I do go out of my way to get the $10 dining credit. That's why I'm hoping the green card refresh would benefit me so I can downgrade. I got a retention offer last year but I didn't get one this year. I also don't have the guts to cancel this card since it was my first college credit card in 93.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I can use it every month but the value of that credit is debatable. For example, I'll sometimes order a shrimp and bacon burrito from a local taco shop. If I went to pick it up, it would be about $12 with tax.

For GrubHub delivery, it's closer to $18 when including delivery charge and tip. So I'm "saving" $4 with my credit. Meh.

The GrubHub credit is certainly not a reason to keep this card, IMO.
Unlike some delivery services, Grubhub does offer pickup for some restaurants. Using the credit to cover one carryout lunch/dinner a month is still very easy.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Unlike some delivery services, Grubhub does offer pickup for some restaurants. Using the credit to cover one carryout lunch/dinner a month is still very easy.
Yes but I noticed the prices on GrubHub or more than when buying directly from restaurant.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trikotret
Yes but I noticed the prices on GrubHub or more than when buying directly from restaurant.
Yet the cardholders will still think they have saved $10.

All those hard to use credit is really marketing ploy to make the cardholders feel like they are getting something for free...

In fact the most successful strategy is the Chase CSR with its $300 easy to use Travel Credit - that got many feel really good about it. Some even feel they are getting free money and forgot that is actually a form of rebate to the $450 AF. The card would not get so much hoopla and talk about if it is just a plain $150 AF card with the other benefits...

That said, for our household the CSR is a "negative AF" card because we definitely get more than $450 value back in the course of a year. $150 is very easy to recover with the PP usages particularly come in handy at some international 2nd or 3rd tier airports. Now, if the restaurant benefit is taken away like the AMEX PP, then it would be another story. The occasional opportunities to use the UR pts for independent lodging / cruise bookings also are welcome.

True the card only earns 3x dining and the TD card we use for grocery only earns 2x - but then it would take A Lot of additional category earning to even breakeven on the Gold card's $250 AF.- if the spend is evenly distributed between dining and grocery shopping - the differential would be 2x4 on Gold and 3+2 on CSR+TD with just 3pt difference - use the standard 1c per pt value it would take a $8300 Additional spend in these 2 categories to just breakeven before earning any extra - that is just too much additional spend in these 2 categories for our household. Hence I will not keep it come next year's renewal. Numbers dont lie but you would need to do hard calculation to find the concrete answer. Of course there are the other factors of simplicity and convenience that mia mentions. For how much to pay for those factors, it would be each individual's own measurement.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by trikotret
True for some restaurants but not all, so I would be careful about making blanket statements. For example, there's a really great thai restaurant few blocks away from my home and the prices are the same as what you can order directly from their website. If the pricing is inflated, it's the restaurant to blame for trying to charge more to cover the fee they need to pay grubhub, and you should report it to grubhub since it violates policy to have higher prices than the normal menu..
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:56 pm

Hello, I'm new to AMEX and new to this forum. I recently got approved for the AMEX Gold and was wondering how the $120 ($10/month) dining credit worked? Can I make just one transaction per month from one of the participating restaurants and get my $10 credit from that or is that $10 like a cashback kind of thing where I have to spend a certain amount and get up to $10/month.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tempting
Hello, I'm new to AMEX and new to this forum. I recently got approved for the AMEX Gold and was wondering how the $120 ($10/month) dining credit worked? Can I make just one transaction per month from one of the participating restaurants and get my $10 credit from that or is that $10 like a cashback kind of thing where I have to spend a certain amount and get up to $10/month.
You use your AMEX Gold Card as the method of payment for a participating restaurant/delivery service. Once the charge posts, you'll receive the statement credit 2-3 days later.

There's no minimum - spend $10, get $10. Spend $20, get $10. (And it's $10 per month credit.)
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by tempting
Yes you can make one transaction at a participating restaurant. Just make sure it's above $10 to get the max credit. You'll get a $10 statement credit
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:55 pm

still the card is not worth it to me as my wife and I have a number ofOBC cards to get 5% at groceries..and my groceries in my areas (6 S&S and 4 Acme) do sell 500.00 VGC. Plus CVS/WalgreensI I maxed out the 25k groc. cat months ago on the gold. Got the card 10/19 and paid fee. Fee begins again 10/15/19. Will get the 10.00 seamless credit on 10/1 and cancel. Points are not worth it to me when I can get cashback on BCP (2) and OBC (4). Do not travel and my only option to get cash back on Gold was to get Staples GC. at full value..50.00 for 50.00 card.and sell them to card cash for 42.50 cash. After VGC fees and annual fee its crazy to keep. Did get the 50k bonus points that made it worth it. Plus keeping track of all these cards plus Chase and Disc 3% is quite time consuming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.