Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:02 pm
  #1501  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BAY AREA
Posts: 1,133
I'm looking at my statement charges and I noticed 2 different charges from the same place within a few days apart, one had 4x and the other 1x. Didn't even bother to contactb Amex about them since they were small charges.
trikotret is offline  
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:21 pm
  #1502  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PHL, LHR
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by mia
bear in mind that 2x for gasoline was removed from the gold card when it was refreshed, but existing cardholders retained it for a period, which the wikipost shows continuing to october. Perhaps it expired sooner for individual accounts based on opening date.
mystery solved.
PHLondoner is offline  
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:57 pm
  #1503  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,872
Originally Posted by trikotret
I'm looking at my statement charges and I noticed 2 different charges from the same place within a few days apart, one had 4x and the other 1x. Didn't even bother to contactb Amex about them since they were small charges.
How long ago the 1x transaction posted? It sometimes takes several days before the correct bonus earning shows up, and that even could be AFTER statement closes. This has happened many times and being reported here. Points can change between Pending to eventually post to your MR account.

This is what AMEX says
Rewards
You'll be able to see Rewards information for an eligible charge within 5 days of the charge posting to your account. Please check back later.

My statement closed on the 27th, a dining transaction on Aug 25 does not show 4x when it is finally posted on 27th and is included in this billing cycle. despite it has been 4x on previous 3 dines at the same restaurants and on the same statement. Not to worry - because it has already triggered the retention offer statement credit (20% on US restaurant in 90 days capped at $150). Since it triggers the credit like all previous dines, it means the restaurant has not changed its merchant code, and the 4x would change in coming days as similar incidents have happened before. Though I really feel AMEX should do a better job in showing the category bonus earning - why can't the system not show it at the same time the transaction changes from Pending to Posted? But no, it is always 3 to 4 days delay and cause a lot of confusion esp for those who have not seen this strange mechanism before.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 28, 2019 at 8:05 pm
Happy is offline  
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:28 pm
  #1504  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 31,526
I was told that during the application process one would be told if you are eligible for the bonus. Is this true?
UA Fan is offline  
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:32 am
  #1505  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 6,197
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I was told that during the application process one would be told if you are eligible for the bonus. Is this true?
No, the opposite is true. You will receive notification during the application process if you are not eligible for the bonus.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:47 am
  #1506  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 31,526
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
No, the opposite is true. You will receive notification during the application process if you are not eligible for the bonus.
That will also suffice. My relative is almost certain he had two Gold cards before, but both Amex chat agents said he has never had it. The second asked if he was checking to know if he was checking to see if he was eligible to get the bonus.

This relative once tried to apply for a Plat card and got a notification that he would not get the bonus. I thought that was because he does not much of a spending history with them.

Does Amex give you a notification that you will not get the bonus because you have got it in the past?
UA Fan is offline  
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:52 pm
  #1507  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,872
Originally Posted by UA Fan
That will also suffice. My relative is almost certain he had two Gold cards before, but both Amex chat agents said he has never had it. The second asked if he was checking to know if he was checking to see if he was eligible to get the bonus.

This relative once tried to apply for a Plat card and got a notification that he would not get the bonus. I thought that was because he does not much of a spending history with them.

Does Amex give you a notification that you will not get the bonus because you have got it in the past?
Have you not heard the now very infamous Pop Up Window during the application process? This is put in place for almost a year by now. The reasons given are not specific, just a host of reasons, incl getting the bonus before, that would apply to the applicant therefore s/he is not eligible for another bonus.

That is when you are notified you would not get a sign up bonus, and ask you whether you still want to proceed with the application.
Happy is offline  
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:56 pm
  #1508  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 31,526
Is that popup reliable for someone who had a bonus before? I recently applied for a DL bus plat and was instantly rejected because i had too many cards and was within the 90 day window. I never got the popup or any explanation. Went striaght to pending and when i checked the status right after it said cancelled.
UA Fan is offline  
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:15 am
  #1509  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PHL, LHR
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by mia
Bear in mind that 2X for gasoline was removed from the Gold card when it was refreshed, but existing cardholders retained it for a period, which the Wikipost shows continuing to October. Perhaps it expired sooner for individual accounts based on opening date.
Just reviewing my statements - I'm still getting 2X on all my gas purchases - including Wawa's with gas pumps - so it's definitely a code switch on Wawa's end at their urban locations.
mia likes this.
PHLondoner is offline  
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:51 pm
  #1510  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,872
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Is that popup reliable for someone who had a bonus before? I recently applied for a DL bus plat and was instantly rejected because i had too many cards and was within the 90 day window. I never got the popup or any explanation. Went striaght to pending and when i checked the status right after it said cancelled.
I dont think I understand your post - your rejection is because you have had too many applications - that is related to what your credit report info.
Did you have DL Plat bonus before?
Were your application a targeted offer (therefore carries NO once a life time bonus language)?
If it is a targeted offer, then you would not receive a pop up for prev rec'd bonus.

There is no way to compare your recent experience to what your relative wants to try, as these are of completely different natures.
Happy is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:48 am
  #1511  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: FRA
Programs: MR, DL, MM, HH
Posts: 57
AMEX once lifetime sign-up bonus question

Hi, I've had the AMEX PRG in the past and closed it. I haven't had the regular Gold. Now the Gold is a different card with different categories. If I apply, will the sign up bonus count or is that considered the same product?

nvm, found it. sad

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card or the Premier Rewards Gold Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

Last edited by bgalakazam; Sep 1, 2019 at 2:33 am
bgalakazam is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:30 am
  #1512  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,964
Originally Posted by bgalakazam
Hi, I've had the AMEX PRG in the past and closed it. I haven't had the regular Gold. Now the Gold is a different card with different categories. If I apply, will the sign up bonus count or is that considered the same product?

nvm, found it. sad
If you've never had the Green card, you might be able to get the Green card, and then might be later offered an upgrade to the Gold card. Not at all certain, but possible, and perhaps a bit more likely than applying for Gold before 7 years since you closed your PRG. (Amex "lifetime" actually means about 7 years.)

Or, if you've never had the Plat card, you get that for one year, and at 13 months downgrade to the Gold. (Don't downgrade before the last possible minute, because Amex will "ding" you for downgrades within the first year. But the timing of the second year annual fee tends to be such that you can wait until 13 or maybe even 14 months before you have to downgrade to not have to pay the second year fee.)
sdsearch is offline  
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:38 pm
  #1513  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BAY AREA
Posts: 1,133
Anyone notice that the GrubHub prices are more than if you buy directly from restaurant? I noticed my pick up order was way more than the restaurant. So much for using the AMEX $10 credit.
trikotret is offline  
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:01 pm
  #1514  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LAS ORD
Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Posts: 5,992
Originally Posted by trikotret
Anyone notice that the GrubHub prices are more than if you buy directly from restaurant? I noticed my pick up order was way more than the restaurant. So much for using the AMEX $10 credit.
Same as UberEats and all the other third-party delivery services I've used, to be fair.

That's why the UberEats fee change earlier this year was so annoying to me - now they charge a delivery fee, service fee (% no less), and a premium on top of the actual menu prices. So I get to pay a service charge on the premium too!
farwest101 likes this.
gengar is offline  
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:16 pm
  #1515  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ORD
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 2,782
Originally Posted by gengar
Same as UberEats and all the other third-party delivery services I've used, to be fair.

That's why the UberEats fee change earlier this year was so annoying to me - now they charge a delivery fee, service fee (% no less), and a premium on top of the actual menu prices. So I get to pay a service charge on the premium too!
I'm fairly certain that the higher prices are set by the restaurants themselves, who also have to pay the middlemen a cut of their revenue.
linglingfool is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.