Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
If you click on "statements and activity" and then click on "preview new version (beta)" toward the bottom right of the page, you'll find that the 4x icon appears about a week after the transaction posts (well, it does on my account.)
thanks! i see it there!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:09 pm

$10 dining credit didnt post. 8/2 cheesecake GC. today 8/8 still nothing. FYI. didnt look at TC to see if GC is allowed for dining credit. may call later, but rather not just in case.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
$10 dining credit didnt post. 8/2 cheesecake GC. today 8/8 still nothing. FYI. didnt look at TC to see if GC is allowed for dining credit. may call later, but rather not just in case.
T&Cs say "Not valid on gift cards or merchandise purchases."

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...HE#offer-terms
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Statman
T&Cs say "Not valid on gift cards or merchandise purchases."

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...HE#offer-terms
nice. thank you for taking the time to look that up. guess im not calling then. in any case, im looking for more DP. no way im the loner.

last month was just fine with cheese GC so i guess this is new. lets see if more reports come in but i doubt cheese is L3. or maybe they are since they have this partnership? who knows.

first airline GC. then dining? hm. dont like this at all.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:56 pm

Anybody had any luck with the AMEX chat and getting MR investigation for restaurants that are still not posting to 4x? Its getting pretty annoying...I ate a legitimate restaurant and it came through as 1x
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by lax01
Anybody had any luck with the AMEX chat and getting MR investigation for restaurants that are still not posting to 4x? Its getting pretty annoying...I ate a legitimate restaurant and it came through as 1x
never understood the incessant need to ban calling from your list of modern productivity tools when it comes to handling sheit w/ amex. only exception is if youre exploiting a loophole or are unable for whatever reason. chat services are specifically staffed by 3rd rate useless people because they didnt make the cut for live conversation. plenty of exceptions, but its usually the case with large banks.

its unclear if your frustration is because dining is not coded correctly or if its because your attempts to fix the issue with chat went nowhere. both can be fixed ASAP. go call amex MR dept 1-800-297-3276. they will add your points in real time. you read that correctly. REAL TIME. not only will they add your points, they will also make a request to add that vendor into the 4x cat so you wont have to call again. i do this on a monthly basis on the gold with no MS. i dont need eyes on my account.

thats why you call. do not chat.
Magna and Statman like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:41 pm

never understood the incessant need to ban calling from your list of modern productivity tools when it comes to handling sheit w/ amex. only exception is if youre exploiting a loophole or are unable for whatever reason. chat services are specifically staffed by 3rd rate useless people because they didnt make the cut for live conversation. plenty of exceptions, but its usually the case with large banks.

its unclear if your frustration is because dining is not coded correctly or if its because your attempts to fix the issue with chat went nowhere. both can be fixed ASAP. go call amex MR dept 1-800-297-3276. they will add your points in real time. you read that correctly. REAL TIME. not only will they add your points, they will also make a request to add that vendor into the 4x cat so you wont have to call again. i do this on a monthly basis on the gold with no MS. i dont need eyes on my account.

thats why you call. do not chat.
Because a couple of reasons...
1) First and foremost, it took multiple times for them to figure it out the first time when the card first cutover to 4X for restaurants - pretty annoying - maybe they have it figured out now - it was absolutely not real-time the first couple of times I went through this
2) Chat is easy and I can multi-task at work and do it
3) Honestly, Hate talking to customer service reps....really quite annoying that I have to talk to someone to fix a pretty well known issue at this point
4) The AMEX chat said they'd escalate to the MR team but I have no idea if that actually happened - hence my question here
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by lax01
Because a couple of reasons...
1) First and foremost, it took multiple times for them to figure it out the first time when the card first cutover to 4X for restaurants - pretty annoying - maybe they have it figured out now - it was absolutely not real-time the first couple of times I went through this
2) Chat is easy and I can multi-task at work and do it
3) Honestly, Hate talking to customer service reps....really quite annoying that I have to talk to someone to fix a pretty well known issue at this point
4) The AMEX chat said they'd escalate to the MR team but I have no idea if that actually happened - hence my question here
yea. i can understand and relate with all your reasons, but i hate chat with a passion and figured out their staffing model pretty quickly with confirmation from the domestic plat agents. nothing good ever comes out of banking chat when you need sheit fixed ASAP.

maybe it was chaos early on back in Oct, but its def real time now. ive been doing that since Jan. started with all my DEC dining totally BS 1x. during the holidays people go out. tons of places left out. its been real-time fix adding points for me since then. ive never been told "pts will be added to your account after escalation". since its 4x, we're talking thousands of points.
lax01 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: AA 1MM GO, SW A-List
How did you purchase? Iíve always done it in store at the counter for physical cards and never had an issue.

However, havenít tried this month yet so maybe it changed . Will try this weekend and report back.

Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Mileage Fanatic
How did you purchase? Iíve always done it in store at the counter for physical cards and never had an issue.

However, havenít tried this month yet so maybe it changed . Will try this weekend and report back.
yea. ive been doing cheese GC since it started. at the cake counter. all physical. never had an issue and ALWAYS credits asap. maybe 5 days at most. never this long. of course, we need more DPs and wait longer to confirm this issue. there may be a difference between counter and waitress terminal, but i doubt it. should be same POS. if GC no longer allowed, I guess i will buy real food at GH pickup.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
yea. ive been doing cheese GC since it started. at the cake counter. all physical. never had an issue and ALWAYS credits asap. maybe 5 days at most. never this long. of course, we need more DPs and wait longer to confirm this issue. there may be a difference between counter and waitress terminal, but i doubt it. should be same POS. if GC no longer allowed, I guess i will buy real food at GH pickup.
My Seamless order that posted on August 5th hasn't been credited yet. It's usually 1-2 days
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
My Seamless order that posted on August 5th hasn't been credited yet. It's usually 1-2 days
appreciate the DP. yea its usually super fast. 1-2 days. so i guess its not just the cheese GC. maybe theres a delay this month. TBD.

will check back after 5PM EST cuz amex does some type of server refresh then.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
FWIW my dining credit for transaction posted late last month took 6 days.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
appreciate the DP. yea its usually super fast. 1-2 days. so i guess its not just the cheese GC. maybe theres a delay this month. TBD.

will check back after 5PM EST cuz amex does some type of server refresh then.
Mine posted on 8/9, so 4 days for me. Did your post?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I have seen a transaction not posted as 4x for supermarkets and the chat agent told me that it is because the vendor has not registered itself as a supermarket. Should I push back? I am talking about a reasonably sized gourmet supermarket in NYC hence I think they categorise this as a supermarket. Admittedly, though, there is indeed a reference to gourmet shops being excluded from this category. Any thoughts/experiences?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.