Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Studentvoyager96
I found out that we actually have to wait to receive the card and enter the online details into our Amex account. This is because we have to select what airline for the fee to credit to before we make the purchase. Hopefully this helps you as well!
That confirms what I was told and posted above. Thanks!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I have about a week before end of this calendar year. Once I register my Gold card with AA for the airline credit, how do I purchase an AA giftcard and redeem my airline credit?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lsquare
I have about a week before end of this calendar year. Once I register my Gold card with AA for the airline credit, how do I purchase an AA giftcard and redeem my airline credit?
Read the wiki:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...a-only-39.html
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Thanks and I'm assuming I have until December 31st to take advantage of the credit for this calendar year right? I mean, if I initiate and complete a purchase before the end of today, I will get the credit posted before the end of 2018?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Thanks and I'm assuming I have until December 31st to take advantage of the credit for this calendar year right? I mean, if I initiate and complete a purchase before the end of today, I will get the credit posted before the end of 2018?
You really should not wait till the very last day to do so if you can avoid it.

If you do this today yes, you most likely would get the credit in the next few days.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: recovering WN Preferred and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by rmk1825
I also just got approved and my card should be here on Monday. Once we choose an airline, can we change it to another one the next year?
You can only change it when you enroll and in January each year.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hughvh
You can only change it when you enroll and in January each year.
Though the rule does not say so but If you have not used it, call in and some agents are willing to change it for you. You cannot change it until next year if you have used it even just one time on the initial enrolled choice.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
There are a few (non-Square) merchants that MCC as restaurant at which I did not receive the 4x bonus. I escalated the issue repeatedly last month and received a final response (from VP level) that they will not give 4x PRG bonus on those merchants. So there it is, officially and conclusively, that AMEX will deny 4x PRG bonus for some merchants even if they are MCC'd as restaurants.

What's particularly unsavory about this is that, at those very same merchants, I get the restaurant bonus on my Aspire (and Surpass before that). So it's clear that AMEX is playing games with some very specific merchants to avoid paying out 4x MRs.
dw, lax01, klanfa and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
There are a few (non-Square) merchants that MCC as restaurant at which I did not receive the 4x bonus..
Are these actually restaurants, or other businesses misclassified as restaurants?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Are these actually restaurants, or other businesses misclassified as restaurants?
Same thing happened to me. They are actual restaurants. Never a problem getting 3x on my CSR. But 1x on Amex Gold.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Reference point on timing:
12/20 Applied and got immediate approval
12/23 Got email saying card shipped
12/24 Card arrived and I activated card and all benefits

Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:42 am

can also confirm a bunch of purchases at restaurants did not get the 4x bonus because they used square. guess there's yet another reason to keep my CSR.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by hyperbling
can also confirm a bunch of purchases at restaurants did not get the 4x bonus because they used square. guess there's yet another reason to keep my CSR.
As per the T&C's of the card.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
There are a few (non-Square) merchants that MCC as restaurant at which I did not receive the 4x bonus. I escalated the issue repeatedly last month and received a final response (from VP level) that they will not give 4x PRG bonus on those merchants. So there it is, officially and conclusively, that AMEX will deny 4x PRG bonus for some merchants even if they are MCC'd as restaurants.

What's particularly unsavory about this is that, at those very same merchants, I get the restaurant bonus on my Aspire (and Surpass before that). So it's clear that AMEX is playing games with some very specific merchants to avoid paying out 4x MRs.
Lovely...can't wait to get my call back with the same response. What a joke and terrible user experience...especially when there are competing products in the marketplace that make this simple and straightforward

I guess its probably a risk vs. reward thing for them...they can play this game and save some dollars on their end and risk customer frustration
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hyperbling
It happened to me too. I'm a bit pissed off about it. I can't seem to get AMEX to budge. I've had good experience with them in the past, but this is just unacceptable. I even told the CSR to Google up the name of the restaurant so they can verify for themselves. It's ridiculous and AMEX should sort this out and give us what we're owed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.