FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:30 am
krazykanuck
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by acarney
I'm super curious about this too. I wonder if there would be a difference if it was $700 in VISA or MC gift cards compared to a retail gift card (think a store gift card, etc). ... I would hope Amex would understand is probably legit spending and not manufactured spending.
You think Amex really cares? They get the same swipe fee either way, and as long as it's not for the purposes of meeting min spend, Amex DGAF about MSing so long as you don't trip any fraud/FR wires. All of my grocery store transactions of $500 VGCs + beer/bananas/bread/etc are coding as 4x. I'm not concerned, but then again I'm not racing to do $25k in spend before year end. But on an annualized basis that's only $2k/month. That's nothing VGC volume wise. I think Amex on a certain level knows people will MS this. I mean why else would they have put a cap of $25k on the grocery store category, while leaving restaurants and air travel uncapped, even through they're 4x and 3x?