Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:57 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Well can't you just ask them to send you the metal one? You shouldn't have to pretend your current card was lost. You're paying the same as new applicants, you should be treated fairly.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by lax01
Any updates on when existing card holders will get the nice, new metal card? Hate the existing plastic card...
Curious about this myself, as I'd love the metal gold to go with the metal platinum. Although that said, my plastic gold saved me earlier this week at a ventra kiosk that none of my metal cards would fit in and I wasn't carrying any of my debit cards.

I suppose if they won't do it voluntarily, the lost card method will work just fine.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:01 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I already carry 3 metal cards in my wallet, so do not think I want to carry another one. I also carry two phones with all the digital wallets. But it is good to have choices here.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:00 am

So after a frustrating few days today I got the 50k offer on the first try and was accepted right away.

I know it’s recommended not to buy VISA or MC gift cards to hit the bonus spend.... BUT, what about stuff like a Disney gift card or tickets that are sold at grocery stores? I’ll be spending about $650 or so on Disney tickets in just about three weeks... that would go a long way toward my $2k spend, and then a lot of dining spend will happy during the trip. This would be better than airing to buy the tickets at the Disney hotel for the 3x bonus on the CSR.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Well can't you just ask them to send you the metal one? You shouldn't have to pretend your current card was lost. You're paying the same as new applicants, you should be treated fairly.
What's the expiration date on your current PRG? That's when you'll get a new metal card. If you want a new one sooner, you'll need a valid reason. With Amex, "I want the new metal card" might be valid.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
If it's anything like the Platinum card refresh, you will have the option to order the metal card under your account page. You don't have to pretend you lost your card. There was even an option that said "request metal card."
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by lax01
Any updates on when existing card holders will get the nice, new metal card? Hate the existing plastic card...
Rumor is 10/4 the changes will go live. No one knows for sure, but that's the date multiple Amex reps gave card holders the day the new changes were leaked.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by acarney
So after a frustrating few days today I got the 50k offer on the first try and was accepted right away.

I know it’s recommended not to buy VISA or MC gift cards to hit the bonus spend.... BUT, what about stuff like a Disney gift card or tickets that are sold at grocery stores? I’ll be spending about $650 or so on Disney tickets in just about three weeks... that would go a long way toward my $2k spend, and then a lot of dining spend will happy during the trip. This would be better than airing to buy the tickets at the Disney hotel for the 3x bonus on the CSR.
I would think that would be fine. I only worry about VGC's and MCGC's during the bonus period. I don't worry about regular retail gift cards.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:56 am

Radom Q. Do you all think that the metal cards issued after the refresh will have the same numbers? One issue is to keep our autopay bills, but the other issue is that I would love to be able to keep my card and give the Rose Gold to my wife for her restaurant spend vs getting her own account.

I requested a duplicate card for my Chase Sapphire Reserve that she currently uses for us to pool that spend and points earn without paying the AU fee. No restaurant has ever asked for her id when she has paid the bill.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Up to five supplementary cards are included at no extra charge on the current Premier Rewards Gold product.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:20 am

I assume that that would be as an AU and that would count against 5/24 for Chase.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:39 am

Do new benefits get activated the day of the "launch"? It's not retroactively applied to a billing cycle? Like, I just started a new billing cycle, and am going to a restaurant tonight will I receive my current 2x, or will they give me the 4x?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
Do new benefits get activated the day of the "launch"? It's not retroactively applied to a billing cycle? Like, I just started a new billing cycle, and am going to a restaurant tonight will I receive my current 2x, or will they give me the 4x?
Nothing is finalized yet. So who knows.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by acarney

For me, I avoid all gift card purchases during minimum spend requirement. I don't want any issues with getting that sign up bonus.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
No one knows, but usually whenever they launch they start applying instantly. With the Platinum revamp, they announced the changes and then set a date for when they'd start being applied. For the PRG, no one knows. Hopefully on 10/4/, we'll know more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.