FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

Joel16 Dec 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Does the credit get subtracted from the year they start processing the purchase, when the purchase posted, or when the credit is posted?
If I buy something on like Dec 30th and it posts next year, will it get taken out of my 2019 or 2020 credits?

Kikuchiyo Dec 16, 2019 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31815154)
Avoid Delta hubs. I don't think Flexible Dates is important, because Refundable fares tend to be the same every day. Include Nearby Airports is useful.

Thanks, mia! Using Flexible Dates didn't help, as you said, but adding Include Nearby Airports did.

I found a fully refundable flight from LAX to SJC next Oct in C+ that fit my remaining credit nearly exactly. Ticket price was $232, minus $50 GC was $182. The charge posted as Additional Collection, the credit has already posted, and the meter has moved.

Once I know I need a ticket, I'll do the Change Flight process on this one and apply the credit to my actual travel.

vin5cent0 Dec 16, 2019 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 31815758)
Ummm.... so it sounds like if you had been able to buy a gift card, by your logic you still would have "wasted" $350 (i.e. $550 - $200).

Is the airline credit the only reason you obtained an Amex Platinum card? Seriously? :confused:

Regards

Previously you could use the $200 airline perk twice within the first annual bill. $550 - $400 = $150. The rest of the perks of the card were worth >$150 to me.

This card, however, is not worth $550/year to me when I'm not flying anywhere. Hell, even if I were to fly somewhere, that $200 perk is fairly worthless to me because I never spend $200 on extraneous flight stuff, so I would just be using it for the sake of using it.

GrizShel Dec 16, 2019 6:39 pm

I purchased today a $239 ticket using 2 $50 egift cards that I had purchased earlier this year with the Amex. I had to do it over the phone because the website wasn't working.

I am surmising (but want this confirmed) from what I have read up thread that it doesn't matter where the gift card was purchased or with what credit card, etc. because this is just about getting the proper coding for the charge for the remaining balance on my Amex Platinum credit card. Am I correct?

The total charged to my Amex Platinum was $139 and I only need about $100 more to max my 2019 Delta airline fees credit for this year.

jamesteroh Dec 16, 2019 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by vin5cent0 (Post 31847294)
Previously you could use the $200 airline perk twice within the first annual bill. $550 - $400 = $150. The rest of the perks of the card were worth >$150 to me.

This card, however, is not worth $550/year to me when I'm not flying anywhere. Hell, even if I were to fly somewhere, that $200 perk is fairly worthless to me because I never spend $200 on extraneous flight stuff, so I would just be using it for the sake of using it.

Can't you still use the credit twice in the first year of the card? I got the card this fall and have used the $200 credit and was under the impression that the clock started over on 1/1 and I could use it again after January 1. I'm not planning on keeping the card after this year since the Delta reserve card is now giving Am Ex lounge access.

If someone doesn't fly then there are better rewards cards out there.

vin5cent0 Dec 16, 2019 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 31847368)
Can't you still use the credit twice in the first year of the card? I got the card this fall and have used the $200 credit and was under the impression that the clock started over on 1/1 and I could use it again after January 1. I'm not planning on keeping the card after this year since the Delta reserve card is now giving Am Ex lounge access.

If someone doesn't fly then there are better rewards cards out there.

You can, but the credit no longer works for gift cards. That was really the only value this perk had for me. Otherwise, it's only good for someone who is flying this year and ordinarily spends money on those misc. charges anyways.

Zorak Dec 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by GrizShel (Post 31847318)
I am surmising (but want this confirmed) from what I have read up thread that it doesn't matter where the gift card was purchased or with what credit card, etc. because this is just about getting the proper coding for the charge for the remaining balance on my Amex Platinum credit card. Am I correct?

That should be the case, yes. I would expect this to be reimbursed and consume the rest of your 2019 credit.

NardoSH Dec 17, 2019 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31846412)
You cannot apply a gift card towards an FCM offer. The phone agent helping me in the spring offered to upfare me which would have allowed it but that was more than the FCM offer in the app.

If you have no other options in the next few weeks it might not hurt to try, maybe the foreign transaction fee will muddy the waters, and a call in to get a manual credit might pass as "seat assignment fee"?

What about day passes to the Amex Skyclub for traveling partners? Those are $29/pp and the credit will work.

My bad, didn't realize I can't use GC towards FCM till I already made the post.

I used the 24 hours ticket change period and changed a segment to premium, which cost about $170 when converted to USD. Hopefully the foreign currency+'flight change' will help the charge get tagged as additional collection or change fee (was able to see the GC/eCredit option when I made the change, but only CC when FCM). Will report back in a few days.

Skymile Select is next on my list if this trick doesn't work, then Skyclub.

Originally Posted by JFKLAX321 (Post 31846491)
1. You can't use a gift card and FCM won't trigger reimbursement.
2. You might be able to persuade an agent that you paid a fee of some sort, since the cost won't look standard given currency conversion. You're not entitled to reimbursement under the terms, though, and it likely won't happen automatically.

Took the risk and upgraded one segment to PS class via ticket change(still within 24h), cost was about $160-170, but definitely don't look standard with currency conversion. Since technically this is using existing credit (old ticket amount), plus I can see the GC option, it can pass as additional collection. If not, I can still ask about seat assignment and/or flight change...but yes AMEX is definitely making it harder to use these credits (especially since in-flight Wifi is not even covered, although I can understand since it's billed by non-Delta entities)

GrizShel Dec 17, 2019 7:53 am

Originally Posted by vin5cent0 (Post 31814280)
So, if you have $200 in unused airline credits and no plans of flying this year, are you basically SOL at this point? Hate to waste this perk as the loss of these GC purchases was literally was pushed me to get this card.

As far as I know you don't have to fly this year, you just have to be able to know what you want to purchase and do so this year (for travel next year) and in sufficient time for it to post by Dec. 31.

mpasik Dec 17, 2019 8:15 am

I have seen a lot of Aspire data points with split up charges less than <$250 being reimbursed but I dont think I have seen any with the Amex Plat. Does that still follow the less than $250 rule or is it less than $200 and the amounts are based off the amount of the airline credit for each respective card?

mia Dec 17, 2019 8:19 am

To be reimbursed American Express' system must mistakenly identify the charge as a fee. The card used would not affect this algorithm. The system will make a partial reimbursement if the remaining amount of the credit is less than the fee.

JFKLAX321 Dec 17, 2019 9:30 am

Originally Posted by NardoSH (Post 31848846)
My bad, didn't realize I can't use GC towards FCM till I already made the post.

I used the 24 hours ticket change period and changed a segment to premium, which cost about $170 when converted to USD. Hopefully the foreign currency+'flight change' will help the charge get tagged as additional collection or change fee (was able to see the GC/eCredit option when I made the change, but only CC when FCM). Will report back in a few days.

Skymile Select is next on my list if this trick doesn't work, then Skyclub.

Took the risk and upgraded one segment to PS class via ticket change(still within 24h), cost was about $160-170, but definitely don't look standard with currency conversion. Since technically this is using existing credit (old ticket amount), plus I can see the GC option, it can pass as additional collection. If not, I can still ask about seat assignment and/or flight change...but yes AMEX is definitely making it harder to use these credits (especially since in-flight Wifi is not even covered, although I can understand since it's billed by non-Delta entities)

I suspect this will code as an additional collection and trigger reimbursement. Please let us know.

widelobe Dec 17, 2019 10:01 am

New DP.

Purchased two tickets in basic economy for - $273.20 on Dec 15th
Applied $100 GC
Paid $173.20 with my Amex Aspire (~$200 left in airline credit)

Two charges posted yesterday or today:
$136.60 - When checked online lists flight ticket
$36.60 - Listed as additional collections

Meter hasn't moved yet/no reimbursement. Not hopeful due to the difference in coding.
Will update if the meter moves at any point.

sowhatwegetdrunk Dec 17, 2019 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by widelobe (Post 31849388)
New DP.

Purchased two tickets in basic economy for - $273.20 on Dec 15th
Applied $100 GC
Paid $173.20 with my Amex Aspire (~$200 left in airline credit)

Two charges posted yesterday or today:
$136.60 - When checked online lists flight ticket
$36.60 - Listed as additional collections

Meter hasn't moved yet/no reimbursement. Not hopefully due to the difference in coding.
Will update if the meter moves at any point.

It looks like you might only get $36.6 reimbursed. Any idea why the $173.2 split posted as $136.6 and $36.6?

Zorak Dec 17, 2019 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk (Post 31849876)
It looks like you might only get $36.6 reimbursed. Any idea why the $173.2 split posted as $136.6 and $36.6?

This isn't new -- there are prior posts along the same lines: when buying multiple tickets, any GCs you use are *not* spread evenly across the tickets, but are rather applied as much as possible to a single ticket and only the residual amount from that ticket codes as additional collection. Remaining ticket(s) are charged "normally".