FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

bensim Dec 4, 19 9:41 am

Originally Posted by DannyMalbec (Post 31794588)
Update: My meter has moved $209 from my purchase last week showing only $41 in credit remaining. Hasn't shown up on the statement yet but obviously it will now. Woo :)

Which ticket did you buy?

sg4515 Dec 4, 19 9:51 am

Pretty sure from reading this forum that credit should post, but if anyone knows for sure, would appreciate it. I just purchased Delta one-way at $278. When I was selecting seats, they gave me option of purchasing "preferred" exit aisle for $92, which I did, so total is now $370. I applied (3) $50 ecerts and that brought total down to $220.
I used my AMEX Hilton Aspire to pay the $220.
AMEX shows up as two (2) pending purchases - (1) for $128 and (1) for $92. I have $200 credit remaining. I hope both of these trigger the credit.

n8onUA Dec 4, 19 11:08 am

Partial Gift Card Purchase Data Point

$50 Delta Gift Card: Acquired via Google Fi Promotion last year for $1,000 travel credit when buying a new Pixel (provided by TangoCard)
Delta Airlines Purchase: $148.30
Charged to Amex Plat Business: $98.30 on Nov 25
Credit to Amex Statement: $98.30 on Nov 29

unkn0wns0ldier Dec 4, 19 12:55 pm

Quick question as I couldn't find any results when searching but does this credit work for even codeshare flights purchased on delta.com? i.e I wanted to buy a flight but its operated by westjet rather than DL metal, doing the GC + Aspire combo, would it trigger?

Thanks

Kikuchiyo Dec 4, 19 1:53 pm

I bought a $50 GC, and now I'm trying to find a refundable fare flight for $233 (I have $183 in AmEx credit remaining.) I can't find anything refundable for less than $450. What am I missing? How do I find a ticket that fits in the credit remaining, and isn't anything I actually plan on using so I can change it to something useful later in 2020? Any tips or suggestions?

Diplomatico Dec 4, 19 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo (Post 31805178)
I bought a $50 GC, and now I'm trying to find a refundable fare flight for $233 (I have $183 in AmEx credit remaining.) I can't find anything refundable for less than $450. What am I missing? How do I find a ticket that fits in the credit remaining, and isn't anything I actually plan on using so I can change it to something useful later in 2020? Any tips or suggestions?

Are you looking at one way fares or only round trip tickets?

You could also just purchase a ticket that you actually plan on using....?

jcp3rd Dec 5, 19 6:26 am

another data point

Two weeks ago, I purchased a nonref DL ticket (~$290), using 2 x $50 DL certs + ~$190 charged to Plat. Received Amex travel credit last week for the ~$190. Thanks to all for their previous DPs.

BradleyFlyer Dec 5, 19 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by deker0 (Post 31778166)
Thanks for this data point. I purchased $59 Delta SkyMiles Select on 11/21 and no credit yet. Hoping it posts today (day #5 ).

Any luck with this?

Edit: Found your response in the other thread. Yes, it works!

deker0 Dec 5, 19 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by BradleyFlyer (Post 31810207)
Any luck with this?

Edit: Found your response in the other thread. Yes, it works!

Yes, it did take awhile to trigger it, which definitely concerned me. But I was relieved in the end when the credit finally appeared.

someone199977 Dec 6, 19 6:40 am

Ticket Change within 24hrs

Has anyone tried this strategy? Book any cheap ticket, change it to the flight you want within 24hrs, which I assume would be no-fee.
Would Delta charge twice (first the cheap ticket, then the difference in price) or combine them into a single charge since within 24hrs the first transaction is likely still pending. Or would Delta charge within the first 24hrs after booking? I think some airlines donít.
If the latter is the case, then this is slightly better than GC+credit as you pay nothing out-of-pocket.

cybaslacka Dec 6, 19 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad (Post 31796773)
I need to cancel Sept. 2020 award tickets on Air France that I obtained last week using Delta miles. Am I correct in assuming that if I designate Delta as the airline for my Hilton Aspire Amex card, my airline fee credit for that card can be applied to the Delta redeposit fee? And is the same true for my Amex Platinum card?

Thanks for any help with this.

Indeed it worked for me 2 months ago when I had to cancel an award ticket. $150 credited back

jamesteroh Dec 6, 19 10:05 am

Originally Posted by someone199977 (Post 31811562)
Has anyone tried this strategy? Book any cheap ticket, change it to the flight you want within 24hrs, which I assume would be no-fee.
Would Delta charge twice (first the cheap ticket, then the difference in price) or combine them into a single charge since within 24hrs the first transaction is likely still pending. Or would Delta charge within the first 24hrs after booking? I think some airlines donít.
If the latter is the case, then this is slightly better than GC+credit as you pay nothing out-of-pocket.

If Delta does the increase as a separate charge it should work since the first charge would be additional charge.

It's been a while since I've had to do a change within t-24 hours of booking on a paid ticket but it's possible you may have to just cancel the first ticket out and rebook. I remember one time I entered the wrong dates for a flight and tried correcting the dates within 24 hours of purchase and online it tried charging me a change fee and I had to call the diamond desk to make the change.

gdubb33 Dec 6, 19 1:00 pm

Purchased $248 ticket with $50 gift card and it split into two transactions on my statement $67 and $131 showing as additional collection.

Purchased on 11/30 and not showing any movement yet.

JFKLAX321 Dec 6, 19 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by barney44 (Post 31707533)
Gold medallion, Paid a small fee for Comfort + on a short flight as a date point.

No reimbursement and it has been ten days.

I read somewhere in a comment here, it only seems to work for those with no medallion status.

A buy-up to First didn't get refunded for me. It coded as "upgrade" or something similar.

MSPeconomist Dec 6, 19 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by someone199977 (Post 31811562)

YMMV. Technically the 24 hour privilege is only for cancelling the ticket for a full refund and does not apply to changing it, so that in particular you might lose a seat in some particular inventory bucket for segments you want to keep and the new version of the ticket would need to satisfy advanced purchase requirements, etc.

However, many DL phone agents will simply change the ticket for you, especially if doing so is somewhat easier and faster for them.

You might try asking if they're going to charge the additional amount as an add/collect.