FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

widelobe Dec 17, 19 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 31849894)
This isn't new -- there are prior posts along the same lines: when buying multiple tickets, any GCs you use are *not* spread evenly across the tickets, but are rather applied as much as possible to a single ticket and only the residual amount from that ticket codes as additional collection. Remaining ticket(s) are charged "normally".

That is exactly what happened here. I got two separate flight confirmations (1 for each passenger) and the GC was only applied to one.

I'm a little annoyed that I managed to miss that while scrolling through this thread but oh well, you live and learn. Maybe I'll use the remaining credit to buy skymiles select instead.

Zorak Dec 17, 19 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by widelobe (Post 31849919)
I'm a little annoyed that I managed to miss that while scrolling through this thread but oh well, you live and learn. Maybe I'll use the remaining credit to buy skymiles select instead.

I've added a cautionary note to the thread wiki.

Lchen1989 Dec 17, 19 3:10 pm

Data point:

12/11 - purchased a flight ticket for $153 on amex plat (after using $50 gc). Flight will take place in 2020
12/13 - posted as additional collection
12/17 - credit posted! :)

frudd38 Dec 17, 19 10:24 pm

I received a "final notice" from DL about unclaimed GC's, which were for a handful of these $50 e-GC's purchased back in 2017 that I have yet to use (I activated/opened them immediately). Says need to respond by snail mail to keep it active.. very strange, but it has the GC numbers and everthing.. Anyone else?

jamesteroh Dec 18, 19 10:56 am

Anyone know if I can use part of a gift card amount to pay for a flight and put the balance on Am Ex if I call Delta? I have a couple $500 gift cards I bought at Costco for 10% off and am wondering if I purchased a $300 ticket if I could call Delta and have $100 of the balance used from the gift card and charge the other $200 to my am ex card or will I be required to put the entire $300 on the gift card if the gift card has enough of a balance to cover the entire flight?

Zevilone Dec 18, 19 11:16 am

Data Point: Used pay with miles to Purchase flight on 12/12

Balance was $236.60

Used Hilton aspire $250 credit

Credit posted 12/16 for $236.60

Zorak Dec 18, 19 11:28 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 31852979)
Anyone know if I can use part of a gift card amount to pay for a flight and put the balance on Am Ex if I call Delta? I have a couple $500 gift cards I bought at Costco for 10% off and am wondering if I purchased a $300 ticket if I could call Delta and have $100 of the balance used from the gift card and charge the other $200 to my am ex card or will I be required to put the entire $300 on the gift card if the gift card has enough of a balance to cover the entire flight?

Seems like you could just call and try it? If they say "no you have to use the full card" you could decide at that point whether you want to do it, it's not like they can force you to but the ticket. Worst case you have the 24-hour cancellation period to change your mind so this seems pretty low-risk... "be the data point you want to see" :)

mk4562 Dec 18, 19 12:25 pm

Data Point:

12/14 - Booked 2 tickets from LAS to LAX for 2020 travel over the phone. Total cost = $213.20. Used $50 GC and received a $50 courtesy credit from the Delta rep based on previous issues with their booking system.
12/15 - 2 Separate "additional collection" charges of $56.60 posted (can see that they are tied to my wife's ticket and my ticket, respectively)
12/18 - Awaiting credit, will update if/when it comes.

It sounds like others have had issues with booking 2 tickets but mine seems like i will get a $113.20 credit. Anyone disagree?

*UPDATE 12/19 - Meter moved to $86.80 remaining, expecting the credit to post shortly.
**UPDATE 12/20 - Two separate credits of $56.60 posted.

Zorak Dec 18, 19 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by mk4562 (Post 31853354)
Data Point:

12/14 - Booked 2 tickets from LAS to LAX for 2020 travel over the phone. Total cost = $213.20. Used $50 GC and received a $50 courtesy credit from the Delta rep based on previous issues with their booking system.
12/15 - 2 Separate "additional collection" charges of $56.60 posted (can see that they are tied to my wife's ticket and my ticket, respectively)
12/18 - Awaiting credit, will update if/when it comes.

It sounds like others have had issues with booking 2 tickets but mine seems like i will get a $113.20 credit. Anyone disagree?

The wrinkle may be that you booked over the phone -- I am speculating, but I wonder if phone agents can (but not necessarily all of them do) apply multiple credits to each ticket separately, whereas if you book yourself online the system applies them maximally to one ticket.

notquiteaff Dec 18, 19 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 31852979)

Could you temporarily “reserve” $400 of the gift card for another ticket that you cancel within the 24 hr period and after using the remaining $100 as desired?

Cuant Dec 18, 19 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo (Post 31847206)
Thanks, mia! Using Flexible Dates didn't help, as you said, but adding Include Nearby Airports did.

I found a fully refundable flight from LAX to SJC next Oct in C+ that fit my remaining credit nearly exactly. Ticket price was $232, minus $50 GC was $182. The charge posted as Additional Collection, the credit has already posted, and the meter has moved.

Once I know I need a ticket, I'll do the Change Flight process on this one and apply the credit to my actual travel.

For the "Change Flight" process, do you know if passenger name should match on both tickets (refundable and new ticket)?

LAXFlyer00 Dec 18, 19 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 31851392)
I received a "final notice" from DL about unclaimed GC's, which were for a handful of these $50 e-GC's purchased back in 2017 that I have yet to use (I activated/opened them immediately). Says need to respond by snail mail to keep it active.. very strange, but it has the GC numbers and everthing.. Anyone else?

I got four of them--one for each of the four $50 Delta GCs I bought in 2016. They're about keeping in compliance with state unclaimed property laws. As a resident of California, the period of inactivity here is generally considered to have passed after three years Under CA law, banks, insurance companies, corporations, and certain other entities are required to submit such property to the as once they turn the money over to the state, they lose the opportunity for which they issue gift cards in the first place--converting the gift card value into revenue. By requesting you notify them to keep it active, the value of a gift card remains on their books until its used in accordance to the terms and condition--namely for purchase of an airline ticket on Delta. They go further getting a little ballsy with the options “I am the owner but have no interest in using the remaining balance” and “I lost or replaced this gift card”. If you choose one of these options, you essentially gift back to them the outstanding balance of the gift card. They might get a few suckers to go along. Personally, I'm not going to respond. So as the letter states, in 30 days they'll be required to hand it over to the state where it could take a few months to process it, but once in the database of unclaimed property, you can submit a claim (for CA residents, go to https://ucpi.sco.ca.gov/UCP/Default.aspx) to have the value returned to you, which you'll get in the form of a check for the full amount of each card's outstanding balance--no fees or charges at all to cover the processing costs.

frudd38 Dec 18, 19 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by LAXFlyer00 (Post 31853775)
I got four of them--one for each of the four $50 Delta GCs I bought in 2016. They're about keeping in compliance with state unclaimed property laws. As a resident of California, the period of inactivity here is generally considered to have passed after three years Under CA law, banks, insurance companies, corporations, and certain other entities are required to submit such property to the as once they turn the money over to the state, they lose the opportunity for which they issue gift cards in the first place--converting the gift card value into revenue. By requesting you notify them to keep it active, the value of a gift card remains on their books until its used in accordance to the terms and condition--namely for purchase of an airline ticket on Delta. They go further getting a little ballsy with the options “I am the owner but have no interest in using the remaining balance” and “I lost or replaced this gift card”. If you choose one of these options, you essentially gift back to them the outstanding balance of the gift card. They might get a few suckers to go along. Personally, I'm not going to respond. So as the letter states, in 30 days they'll be required to hand it over to the state where it could take a few months to process it, but once in the database of unclaimed property, you can submit a claim (for CA residents, go to https://ucpi.sco.ca.gov/UCP/Default.aspx) to have the value returned to you, which you'll get in the form of a check for the full amount of each card's outstanding balance--no fees or charges at all to cover the processing costs.

Thanks I got a handful of them too actually. I glossed over the part where we can ultimately get a check for that, so thank you for that!

lv.onlythebrave Dec 18, 19 3:53 pm

planning to book delta ticket for 2020 travel - Ticket cost is $330, using $100 gc to bring down the cost $230 for Aspire. Hope thats the right way. Can we book using mobile app or need to go through website?

David Lin Dec 18, 19 8:11 pm

Data point:

12/15 - Purchased a $259.60 Delta ticket and used a $50 GC. Charged $209.60 on AMEX Plat

12/16 - $209.60 posted as “Travel - Airline”.

So far no credit posted and meter hasn’t moved. Shouldn’t it have posted as “Additional Collection”? Not very hopeful that I’ll get reimbursed.