FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

andrewham7 Dec 27, 19 10:31 am

Data Point

Dec 23: Purchased delta flight for $354 - $125GC = $229.
Separate reward flight purchase: taxes $11.20.
Both charged to AMEX Hilton Aspire.

Dec 24: $229 & $11.20 charges post as Additional Collections

Dec 26: $229 & $11.20 credits post to account and meter has moved.

Thank you for all the work everyone has put into this!

CharlotteB Dec 27, 19 10:59 am

Could someone confirm a couple things for me...
1. Do I have to call in and split payment for it to work or can i book online with split payment and it still trigger credit?
2. Do I need to keep the amount charged to my card (Plat) at a certain amount? Ie. I have $140 in credit left, can I charge $180 and it still work or do I need to only charge $140 exactly or less.
Thanks!!

Zorak Dec 27, 19 11:35 am

Originally Posted by CharlotteB (Post 31880653)
Could someone confirm a couple things for me...
1. Do I have to call in and split payment for it to work or can i book online with split payment and it still trigger credit?
2. Do I need to keep the amount charged to my card (Plat) at a certain amount? Ie. I have $140 in credit left, can I charge $180 and it still work or do I need to only charge $140 exactly or less.
Thanks!!

1a. Depends -- if you are using a gift card or voucher (compensation, bump, other misc credit) you should be able to do it yourself through the web site (though I don't know what this process looks like currently -- it used to be you could use GCs etc. as a payment method during the checkout process, then they horribly screwed up the process by forcing you to visit a special page to indicate you wanted to use a GC/credit first even before you started your airfare search, then it reverted to the old behavior for a bit).

1b. if you want to split across two credit cards I believe you need to call in

2. It doesn't matter if the amount charged to the card exceeds the available credit amount you have remaining, you'll just get reimbursed up to the amount you have left.

hawaii2midtown Dec 27, 19 3:23 pm

Has anyone tried the split tender trick but using Delta eVouchers instead of eGCs?

Zorak Dec 27, 19 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by hawaii2midtown (Post 31881416)
Has anyone tried the split tender trick but using Delta eVouchers instead of eGCs?

I have, yes.

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 30941305)

Bought $214 ticket using $200 compensation voucher + credit card, reimbursed $14 within a few days.

Vouchers are also specifically mentioned in the wiki.

To reiterate, it does not seem to matter what the other form of payment is.

alfiek Dec 27, 19 10:41 pm

I've bought a $50 GC yesterday to use along with Amex Plat card for a $128 ticket. I was able to use the Gift card not 72 hours later, but 21 hrs later along with the card on website. Will see if it posts and gets reimbursed before the end of the year. If reimbursement posts but later than 12/31, does it count towards the new year allowance?.. Thanks

pbd456 Dec 28, 19 12:26 am

My meter has moved and now down to 4.7 USD for my Hilton aspire (no annual fee for first year.).

Going to change my refundable ticket to a fee other cheaper tickets next.

SuitCase Dec 28, 19 5:21 am

Iíve a bunch of Plats and Aspires to work on starting Jan 1 and Iíd prefer to not have to buy several $50 Delta GCs to use in several different transactions. Does anyone know if the phone agents can do a gift card + amex 1 + amex 2 + amex 3 + amex 4 payment for a single expensive refundable flight?

mattp1987 Dec 28, 19 10:11 am

Dec 23: Purchased $50 GC from Delta mobile site.
Dec 24: Purchased $202 Delta ticket using GC plus Hilton Aspire
Dec 27: $152 charge posted as Additional Collection
Dec 28: $152 credit posted, dated Dec 27. Meter moved to $98 remaining.

mrdomtol Dec 28, 19 12:12 pm

Dec 22: Bought a $100 gift card on Delta mobile site
Dec 23: Bought a $300 ticket, paid with $100 gift card, remaining $200 charged to Amex Plat
Dec 25: $200 shown as Additional Collection on web
Dec 27: -$200 Airline fee credit applied

Zorak Dec 28, 19 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by SuitCase (Post 31882858)
Iíve a bunch of Plats and Aspires to work on starting Jan 1 and Iíd prefer to not have to buy several $50 Delta GCs to use in several different transactions. Does anyone know if the phone agents can do a gift card + amex 1 + amex 2 + amex 3 + amex 4 payment for a single expensive refundable flight?

The only data point I can recall is the from a few weeks ago, which was inconclusive, but there may have been other influencing factors (see below). If you have time and flexibility it might be worth doing GC+CC1+CC2 and seeing what happens before expanding the technique.

Originally Posted by pennystinkard (Post 31830149)
On Nov 22 I purchased a flight using a $50 DL gift card, with $200 charged to my Amex Plat. It has been over two weeks and I have not seen the credit post yet. Any thoughts on why this might be, and if there is anything I can do to get it to trigger?

Some notes:
- I did set my airline preference to DL
- I split the payment of the ticket ($500+) between 3 cards, one of which was my Amex Gold, and the $100 credit DID post on the Gold
- In order to get exactly $200 charged to my Plat I had to have the full ticket amount (which I had originally purchased the day before) refunded to the Plat, before re-splitting the cost between 3 cards to get the credit amounts to be under $250. Could the refund from DL for the first transaction have somehow canceled out the incoming credit posting?

nomar116 Dec 28, 19 1:31 pm

I made a purchase from Delta through the website portal myIDtravel, a place where airline employees can purchase standby fares, also known as ZED fares.

The charge came through as two purchases for $102 even though two tickets were purchased in one transaction. It is listed as Delta Air Lines Atlanta and has an associated ticket number with it.

I'm assuming this will not be reimbursed because of the ticket number. Anyone know for sure?

Jestersjoker Dec 28, 19 1:38 pm

Anybody getting reimbursed and the meter not moving???

Sooooo, bought a 100 dollar airfare and it credited to my statement, then the meter showed a 100 dollars left. Checked this past week meter still reads 2019 funds but the meter is back up to 200 credit and the 100 dollar ticket credit is still on my statement. Just booked a 90 something dollar fare about two weeks ago and canceled, the credit just appeared on my statement but again the meter hasnít moved. I know Iím getting reimbursed because my balance is brought back down to zero but the meter doesnít move...... So should I be logical and stop because I know Iíve reached 200 orrrrrrrr yea.

lv.onlythebrave Dec 28, 19 2:15 pm

28- Dec: Used $50X2 GC for booking $310 travel, $210 charged to amex aspire shows as pending
Hopefully, it gets posted before 31-Dec, so I can get the credits.

davidvcd Dec 28, 19 2:44 pm

DP

Dec 23 : 349.3 DL reimbursable ticket with 3x50GC (bought a month ago) and Amex Plat
Dec 26 : 199.3 statement credit