FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

free_whine Dec 14, 19 7:24 am

Originally Posted by gracetheyoung (Post 31837494)
I'm flying Delta at the end of December and I still have $200 credit on one card and $62 credit on another card. Does Delta have the ability to buy miles? Otherwise I might try to change my airline for the card that still has $200 left as it doesn't seem like I am able to buy a refundable ticket of any kind - otherwise I guess I'm just buying drinks on drinks on drinks!

You can buy miles by adding "mileage boosters" which are reimbursed by Amex

gracetheyoung Dec 14, 19 12:23 pm

I just tried to do this but don't see the option. Also I tried to upgrade to economy from basic economy but one of my flights it says it wasn't eligible. Ugh! So will mileage boosters come into play when I check in?

lostinamaze Dec 14, 19 1:56 pm

Miles and Cash

Hi everyone, would purchasing a ticket with “miles and cash” work to trigger the reimbursement? Where the cash portion is less than $250 and paid using amex plat.

sorry if this has been posted before but I wasn’t able to find the answer going back dozens of pages or so...

Traveler_boy_25 Dec 14, 19 2:46 pm

$100 refund on Gold Card

I wanted to confirm that I bought a flight for $166 on my gold card with a $50 Delta GC purchased on their website. The $100 credit went through a week later. Thanks to everyone for the tips!

MSPeconomist Dec 14, 19 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by gracetheyoung (Post 31837494)
I'm flying Delta at the end of December and I still have $200 credit on one card and $62 credit on another card. Does Delta have the ability to buy miles? Otherwise I might try to change my airline for the card that still has $200 left as it doesn't seem like I am able to buy a refundable ticket of any kind - otherwise I guess I'm just buying drinks on drinks on drinks!

To find the mileage booster, scroll down on your PNR and there will be a little chart at the bottom with a row for each segment and a column listing the seat assignment for each segment. One of the other columns will be for special services and there will be a different column saying something like "Add Extras." Click on that and one of the choices will be mileage booster, with a drop down menu to pick 1,000/2,000/3,000 RDMs per segment.

This should work only if it's a domestic itinerary and all flights are DL or DeltaConnection.

Hojun Chan Dec 14, 19 5:16 pm

Was your flight within this year? or can I book for next year

SamLowe Dec 15, 19 12:39 pm

Split payment w/ GC

Flight costed $439 and applied two $100 GC. The remaining $239 balance charged to personal Plat.

Booked 12/3
Charge posted 12/5
Credit posted: 12/10 ($200)!!

Hikmer01 Dec 15, 19 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31840196)
This should work only if it's a domestic itinerary and all flights are DL or DeltaConnection.

This "should" work or does anyone have first hand knowledge of this triggering the credit?

homegrowned Dec 15, 19 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Hikmer01 (Post 31843227)
This "should" work or does anyone have first hand knowledge of this triggering the credit?

yes did it twice this past two weeks, both for the $59 (3,000 mile boost)

first time took about 10 days to post. Second time posted in 48h

Hikmer01 Dec 15, 19 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by homegrowned (Post 31844023)
yes did it twice this past two weeks, both for the $59 (3,000 mile boost)

first time took about 10 days to post. Second time posted in 48h

I gave it a shot...thanks for the confirmation.

gracetheyoung Dec 16, 19 7:19 am

aw crap it's definitely not domestic.

thank you anyway!!

so at this point there's nothing I can do but buy drinks and food? Which they're serving for free anyway!

NardoSH Dec 16, 19 11:22 am

Still got $200 credit left and have an upcoming flight!

The FCM/seat assignment to premium select cost about $168, however since it's departing from another country it will be a foreign currency conversion.

Two questions for any warriors that tried FCM/seat assignment recently:
1. Considering that the total is below $200/250, should I just use the card to pay for the FCM/seat assignment, or get a $50GC then charge the rest to trigger additional collection?
2. Will the foreign currency factor cause any issue?

Gig103 Dec 16, 19 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by NardoSH (Post 31845579)
...or get a $50GC then charge the rest to trigger additional collection?...

You cannot apply a gift card towards an FCM offer. The phone agent helping me in the spring offered to upfare me which would have allowed it but that was more than the FCM offer in the app.

If you have no other options in the next few weeks it might not hurt to try, maybe the foreign transaction fee will muddy the waters, and a call in to get a manual credit might pass as "seat assignment fee"?

What about day passes to the Amex Skyclub for traveling partners? Those are $29/pp and the credit will work.

JFKLAX321 Dec 16, 19 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by NardoSH (Post 31845579)
Still got $200 credit left and have an upcoming flight!

The FCM/seat assignment to premium select cost about $168, however since it's departing from another country it will be a foreign currency conversion.

Two questions for any warriors that tried FCM/seat assignment recently:
1. Considering that the total is below $200/250, should I just use the card to pay for the FCM/seat assignment, or get a $50GC then charge the rest to trigger additional collection?
2. Will the foreign currency factor cause any issue?

1. You can't use a gift card and FCM won't trigger reimbursement.
2. You might be able to persuade an agent that you paid a fee of some sort, since the cost won't look standard given currency conversion. You're not entitled to reimbursement under the terms, though, and it likely won't happen automatically.

pennystinkard Dec 16, 19 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by pennystinkard (Post 31830149)
On Nov 22 I purchased a flight using a $50 DL gift card, with $200 charged to my Amex Plat. It has been over two weeks and I have not seen the credit post yet. Any thoughts on why this might be, and if there is anything I can do to get it to trigger?

Some notes:
- I did set my airline preference to DL
- I split the payment of the ticket ($500+) between 3 cards, one of which was my Amex Gold, and the $100 credit DID post on the Gold
- In order to get exactly $200 charged to my Plat I had to have the full ticket amount (which I had originally purchased the day before) refunded to the Plat, before re-splitting the cost between 3 cards to get the credit amounts to be under $250. Could the refund from DL for the first transaction have somehow canceled out the incoming credit posting?

Was wondering if anyone might have some input on my problem?