FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

gooselee Dec 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by euromannn (Post 31872901)
If you compare travel cards like Citi Prestige, Chase Sapphire Reserve, JP Morgan, and possible Capital One's....vs AMEX there are a few upsetting benefits from AMEX that are poor.
1. NO Trip Insurance --- changes effective Jan 2020
2. NO Emergency Road Side Asst - Remove Jan 2020
3. Airline credit dedicated to on airline vs TRAVEL credit....and amounts are higher at Citi & Chase
4. Priority Pass Alternate Lounge - Deleted effective Nov 2019

SO I can see paying an extra $100/yr for AMEX vs other travel cards and not getting equivalent benefits can be considered poor.
Having been to a few DElta Skymile Lounges and Centurian since getting AMEX PLAT I'm only moderately impressed due to poor food availability.

I'm not sure how any of this is relevant to my comment.

combiboinis Dec 24, 2019 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 31873829)
Welcome to FT!

1. You can buy GCs in whatever amount you want, however note that electronic GCs purchased via this link take 72 hours to become active

2. You should be able to split across two (or more) cards by calling in, yes.

Thanks for the response. I called in and comboed a gift card and two credit cards. I charged $249.71 to my Aspire. Fingers crossed it works!

mattp1987 Dec 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 31873887)
I'm not sure how any of this is relevant to my comment.

I was wondering the same thing.

Originally Posted by combiboinis (Post 31874091)
Thanks for the response. I called in and comboed a gift card and two credit cards. I charged $249.71 to my Aspire. Fingers crossed it works!

Please follow up with your results. I’m curious to know if this works.

brownie20 Dec 24, 2019 11:02 pm

Thanks for all the tips and datapoints! Purchased 2 one way tickets, each priced at ~$200 on 12/7. Applied a $50 gift card to one ticket and 2 $50 gift cards to the second ticket. Transactions posted on 12/8. Received credits on 12/13.

Roonay Dec 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 31784270)
As long as it is posting as additional collection, I would just called call after your statement closes. If it's posting as additional collection I'd think Am Ex would consider it a qualifying charge.

How do you determine if a charge posts as an “additional collection”?

Diplomatico Dec 25, 2019 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 31784270)
As long as it is posting as additional collection, I would just called call after your statement closes. If it's posting as additional collection I'd think Am Ex would consider it a qualifying charge.

I'm sorry, what? Purchasing airfare with the AMEX Plat, even if it's only partially paid with the card, is not a qualifying charge. This is clearly a loophole and calling AMEX to alert them to the fact is inadvisable and - unless one openly lies about the nature of the charge - is likely to be unsuccessful.

Originally Posted by Roonay (Post 31875871)
How do you determine if a charge posts as an “additional collection”?

After the charge posts as "final" to your account, you can go to the "statements and activity" section of your account and click on the transaction. You'll be able to see there whether it was classified as an "additional collection".

Zorak Dec 25, 2019 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 31876168)
I'm sorry, what? Purchasing airfare with the AMEX Plat, even if it's only partially paid with the card, is not a qualifying charge. This is clearly a loophole and calling AMEX to alert them to the fact is inadvisable and - unless one openly lies about the nature of the charge - is likely to be unsuccessful.

Agreed, this isn't the sort of thing I'd be eager to draw attention to. Even though they're probably aware of it, they may be willing to tolerate it if it seems like it's not heavily used, doesn't take up CS time etc.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 31876168)
After the charge posts as "final" to your account, you can go to the "statements and activity" section of your account and click on the transaction. You'll be able to see there whether it was classified as an "additional collection".

... but do this from a desktop web browser, as mobile/app apparently can display this differently based on past reports.

pbd456 Dec 26, 2019 1:13 am

it says additional collect, but also has an eticket number, is it how it is supposed to post to trigger the system? thanks

threedips Dec 26, 2019 8:04 am

Can Delta refundable tickets be converted to travel funds the same way Jetblue and Southwest can? i.e. Can I ask Delta to refund me tickets 100% to a gift card rather than original payment?

EWRTravelers Dec 26, 2019 1:51 pm

Need to burn about $200 in credit by year end (2 cards @ $100 each)

Any recent experiences with Mileage Booster working? If I have a flight in Feb can I pay for the mileage booster in 2019?

Tedgrrrr Dec 26, 2019 2:32 pm

Have an upgrade offer of $156. would that trigger the platinum credit? The wiki suggests it will - any recent reports?

N515CR Dec 26, 2019 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr (Post 31878554)
Have an upgrade offer of $156. would that trigger the platinum credit? The wiki suggests it will - any recent reports?

Took one for $119.76 ~10 days ago that did not trigger the credit, so do so at your own risk. I have not contacted Amex to try to have them do anything on their end.

robertw477 Dec 27, 2019 6:36 am

Originally Posted by EWRTravelers (Post 31878459)

Any recent experiences with Mileage Booster working? If I have a flight in Feb can I pay for the mileage booster in 2019?

Same here for me.

gooselee Dec 27, 2019 7:42 am

See post #2499 .

I don't know if Mileage Boosters charge at time of selection or when you take the flight. I'm sure someone else can chime in on that part.

phant0m Dec 27, 2019 9:17 am

Just purchased a mileage booster yesterday. Will let you know when it credits.