FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

hurnik Dec 9, 19 9:42 am

Originally Posted by cprakash1995 (Post 31813812)
So, I did the following and they did not trigger the credit.

1. Bough a ticket for about 700$ and used a 250$ gift card - it has been 2 weeks
2. Bought an award ticket with 260$ in fees - also about 2 weeks
3. Upgraded to C+ on one of the flights, no dice as yet ( has been about 72 hours)

Any other suggestion for what I could do to trigger the credit?

I thought (perhaps I read this thread wrong) that the ticket price AFTER GC redemption had to be under $250 for the credit to trigger. Your $700-$250 = $450 if my math is correct.

Although I've not been paying much attention to the award ticket fees, to be honest, I thought they would've been covered.

jamesteroh Dec 9, 19 10:20 am

Originally Posted by cprakash1995 (Post 31813812)
So, I did the following and they did not trigger the credit.

1. Bough a ticket for about 700$ and used a 250$ gift card - it has been 2 weeks
2. Bought an award ticket with 260$ in fees - also about 2 weeks
3. Upgraded to C+ on one of the flights, no dice as yet ( has been about 72 hours)

Any other suggestion for what I could do to trigger the credit?

First two is probably the amounts involved. There's been quite a few reports that state that amount has to be under $200 or $250 (can't remember which it is) for the credit to trigger in a gift card purchase.

I bought a FCM offer for under $100 and it didn't clear and I called AMEX and they manually entered the credit. I was told later that a FCM upgrade offer wasn't covered by someone on this thread but I figured it would be since it was a change fee.

sg4515 Dec 10, 19 8:14 am

Originally Posted by sg4515 (Post 31804081)
Pretty sure from reading this forum that credit should post, but if anyone knows for sure, would appreciate it. I just purchased Delta one-way at $278. When I was selecting seats, they gave me option of purchasing "preferred" exit aisle for $92, which I did, so total is now $370. I applied (3) $50 ecerts and that brought total down to $220.
I used my AMEX Hilton Aspire to pay the $220.
AMEX shows up as two (2) pending purchases - (1) for $128 and (1) for $92. I have $200 credit remaining. I hope both of these trigger the credit.

DP
  • Purchased Dec. 3
  • Dec. 5 - The $92 posted as "Miscellaneous Tax(s)/Fee(s)
  • Dec. 5 - The $128 posted as " Additional Collection"
  • Dec. 10 - Meter moved from $200 remaining to "You have used all of your credit" - Assuming credit will post within a day or two now.

Hikmer01 Dec 10, 19 10:24 am

Originally Posted by vin5cent0 (Post 31815568)
I'm not flying anywhere this year.

Gah, I feel like I just wasted $550 on this card because I never would have bought it if I had known this $200 credit would become worthless to me.

Agreed, the perks are not worth it any longer. It takes far too much effort to activate, research and find out things don't work for this card to provide any value for the causal business traveler. They have nerfed the benefits beyond reason. At least they will have a few more openings in the lounges that are impossible to get access unless you meet all the requirements and wait times.

frugalchief Dec 10, 19 9:00 pm

Can confirm that the $250 airline fee credit will work with Delta if you buy a ticket with a gift card, and the remaining amount that charges on your CC is less than $250 (or however much credit you have left). The credit does take a while to post tho (1 - 2 weeks for me) but i've done it twice and has worked both times.

unkn0wns0ldier Dec 11, 19 12:16 am

Any idea if a SkyWest DBA flight which is bought from delta.com will also work? I am guessing because its delta.com it should code as Delta Airlines correct? I tried to look for this specific answer earlier but came up empty.

Thanks

pennystinkard Dec 11, 19 2:42 pm

On Nov 22 I purchased a flight using a $50 DL gift card, with $200 charged to my Amex Plat. It has been over two weeks and I have not seen the credit post yet. Any thoughts on why this might be, and if there is anything I can do to get it to trigger?

Some notes:
- I did set my airline preference to DL
- I split the payment of the ticket ($500+) between 3 cards, one of which was my Amex Gold, and the $100 credit DID post on the Gold
- In order to get exactly $200 charged to my Plat I had to have the full ticket amount (which I had originally purchased the day before) refunded to the Plat, before re-splitting the cost between 3 cards to get the credit amounts to be under $250. Could the refund from DL for the first transaction have somehow canceled out the incoming credit posting?

mk4562 Dec 11, 19 3:59 pm

Does anyone know if the credit needs to post before 12/31/19 in order to be counted for the 2019 credit? Or is it simply based on the purchase date?

Also, it seems like Delta is having issues with online booking today. Has anyone tried using a $50 GC and paying the remaining (under $200) on their Amex Platinum via booking over the phone with any success?

rulenumber62 Dec 11, 19 9:42 pm

Elevate Your Status DP

Based on the Ts and Cs, Elevate Your Status wouldn't be a prohibited purchase, so long as it posts as Delta.

I will have a DP in the next week or so. will report back.

jayoxd Dec 12, 19 11:23 am

Originally Posted by frugalchief (Post 31827383)
Can confirm that the $250 airline fee credit will work with Delta if you buy a ticket with a gift card, and the remaining amount that charges on your CC is less than $250 (or however much credit you have left). The credit does take a while to post tho (1 - 2 weeks for me) but i've done it twice and has worked both times.

Did your dashboard change at all?

I just bought an $186 flight and used a $50 GC for my Gold card. I swear I saw the dashboard change saying I had a $10 benefit remaining (pretty sure I didn't confuse it with the dining).

Now I see the delta charge posted:

Dec 11

$136.60

Will appear on your Jan 8, 2020 statement as DELTA AIR LINES ATLANTA

The additional collection also has the passenger name / ticket number with no signs of an updated dashboard that still shows $100 credit remaining. This doesn't seem promising...

MSPeconomist Dec 12, 19 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by rulenumber62 (Post 31831274)
Based on the Ts and Cs, Elevate Your Status wouldn't be a prohibited purchase, so long as it posts as Delta.

I will have a DP in the next week or so. will report back.

AFAIK all of the elevate your status offers cost way over $250, which probably is a problem for the credit.

Joel16 Dec 12, 19 2:06 pm

Will you get reimbursed for the Ascend Package? That includes wifi and priority boarding. I have $48 left this year in credits and don't know what to do with it.

Adelphos Dec 12, 19 2:26 pm

November 14 - two $46.25 award fees charged to Amex Gold, listed as “Delta Air Lines” on the statement
November 17 - both charges reimbursed as Airline Fee Reimbursement

So the idea is that award fees under a certain amount are reimbursed?

fishfly Dec 12, 19 3:19 pm

Any DPs of delta vacation changes? most recent here is from sept 2018..

gracetheyoung Dec 13, 19 4:16 pm

I'm flying Delta at the end of December and I still have $200 credit on one card and $62 credit on another card. Does Delta have the ability to buy miles? Otherwise I might try to change my airline for the card that still has $200 left as it doesn't seem like I am able to buy a refundable ticket of any kind - otherwise I guess I'm just buying drinks on drinks on drinks!