FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

dayornight Nov 26, 19 9:25 am

Yeah the only thing I can think of is I used an e-credit I had on my account. The sticky said those should work though. Would definitely suck if this loophole is closed.

lrbatch Nov 26, 19 10:14 am

Originally Posted by dayornight (Post 31778543)
Has anyone had luck with the additional collection being reimbursed recently for DL? I'm on day 6 and the meter still hasn't moved. Additional collection amount posted for $71.00

Same boat here. 2x additional collections for sub 200 after gift card. Posted on 11/22, no credit yet, meter hasn't moved.

sb1234 Nov 26, 19 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by lrbatch (Post 31778812)
Same boat here. 2x additional collections for sub 200 after gift card. Posted on 11/22, no credit yet, meter hasn't moved.

Same. $176 additional collection after $50 gift card. Posted 11/23, no credit, meter hasn't moved. Don't see the point of this card's fee given the restrictions on this credit.

sb1234 Nov 26, 19 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Az_gt (Post 31765134)
Anyonehas tried the status elevation by Delta? Minimum is $299 for the same MQDs and some MQMs? Will it trigger the credit?

Also curious about this one as my additional collection has not been posted after a few days. I don't know how else to spend $200 in incidental fees.

Ryan Floberg Nov 26, 19 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by weezl (Post 31776682)
Do this then?

1. Buy $50 DL GC (any CC)
2. Buy a 2020 refundable DL fare with $50 GC + diff paid with Aspire
3. Wait for Amex credit on the diff
4. Modify the reservation in 2020 to one you will actually purchase (assuming you will fly DL sometime in 2020)
5. Get any $$ credited back to AMEX that is in excess, since presumably the actual flight you will be purchasing will be less than an unrestricted fare

There is clearly risk of AMEX clawback here, as others have pointed out (and PMd me), but this scenario seems less risky to me than the one 7-8 posts up

Aren't refundable fares substantially more expensive?

DannyMalbec Nov 26, 19 4:27 pm

Bought $75 Gift card with my CSR card like 5 days ago
Delta Made me wait 3 days to redeem the gift card.
Booked a flight scheduled for may 2020 with the gift card + $206 charged to my Hilton amex
Payment posted to me Hilton Amex today coded as Document Type: Additional Collection.

Ill update later this week to see if it triggers the fee credit.

Az_gt Nov 27, 19 8:57 am

Originally Posted by sb1234 (Post 31779909)
Also curious about this one as my additional collection has not been posted after a few days. I don't know how else to spend $200 in incidental fees.

Any data point about this purchase for “Status Elevation” ? If it works then at least it is better than bag/lounge incidental fees.

Bonaventure Nov 27, 19 9:21 am

Originally Posted by dayornight (Post 31778629)
Yeah the only thing I can think of is I used an e-credit I had on my account. The sticky said those should work though. Would definitely suck if this loophole is closed.

Originally Posted by lrbatch (Post 31778812)

Originally Posted by sb1234 (Post 31779885)
Same. $176 additional collection after $50 gift card. Posted 11/23, no credit, meter hasn't moved. Don't see the point of this card's fee given the restrictions on this credit.

Originally Posted by DannyMalbec (Post 31780070)
Bought $75 Gift card with my CSR card like 5 days ago
Delta Made me wait 3 days to redeem the gift card.
Booked a flight scheduled for may 2020 with the gift card + $206 charged to my Hilton amex
Payment posted to me Hilton Amex today coded as Document Type: Additional Collection.

Ill update later this week to see if it triggers the fee credit.

Very interesting / dissapointing. Would be a huge negative if these reports of this change to the additional collection route are confirmed :(

jamesteroh Nov 27, 19 9:40 am

If this loophole gets closed no need to keep the regular Platinum card on renewal and possibly get rid of my Aspire.

The membership reward points aren't valuable at all, I get a better PP lounge access membership with my CSR, I only fly Delta and thanks to the new changes with the Reserve card I'll be able to access the Am Ex lounges, I use the Sax credit just because it's there. The Uber credit is the only useful benefit and it isn't worth the $550 a year. At least with the Aspire I am getting a lot of Hilton points and the free night and the resort credit. Maybe this will be a good thing though with the Aspire since it may cut down on the number of diamonds if they decide not to keep this card.

vorbster Nov 27, 19 10:51 am

Originally Posted by weezl (Post 31766773)
So would it be possible to do this:
1. Buy $50 DL GC (any CC)
2. Buy a 2020 refundable DL fare with $50 GC + diff paid with Aspire
3. Wait for Amex credit on the diff
4. Cancel reservation in 2020
5. Get the $$ credited back to AMEX and the GC credited back, and not see reversal the 2019 credit?

It probably will. But because of things like this Amex can either close this loophole too, or close your account.

Gig103 Nov 27, 19 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 31782341)
If this loophole gets closed no need to keep the regular Platinum card on renewal and possibly get rid of my Aspire.

The membership reward points aren't valuable at all, I get a better PP lounge access membership with my CSR, I only fly Delta and thanks to the new changes with the Reserve card I'll be able to access the Am Ex lounges, I use the Sax credit just because it's there. The Uber credit is the only useful benefit and it isn't worth the $550 a year. At least with the Aspire I am getting a lot of Hilton points and the free night and the resort credit. Maybe this will be a good thing though with the Aspire since it may cut down on the number of diamonds if they decide not to keep this card.

Sounds like the card isn't for you and you should switch to the DL Reserve once they add Centurion and use the BOGO F ticket instead. I would disagree on the claim that MRs aren't valuable, though, they just aren't as straightforward as the $0.015 Chase UR Portal. Have you tried the International Airline Program? That's where I get my value from.

If the additional collection loophole is closed [BUMMER!], then I will use the credit to pay guest fees for the Skyclub for my wife. That's 5 or 6 visits depending on if it's $29 or $39 next year.

lazytornado Nov 27, 19 7:36 pm

I booked a flight for $120 with a $50 GC, and the charge posted as additional collection but the meter hasn't moved and no credit yet. 3 days since it has posted, does it usually take longer?

dayornight Nov 27, 19 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by dayornight (Post 31778543)
Has anyone had luck with the additional collection being reimbursed recently for DL? I'm on day 6 and the meter still hasn't moved. Additional collection amount posted for $71.00

Seems itís just taking longer than normal. My meter moved today

lazytornado Nov 27, 19 7:53 pm

That's good to know, my charge for ~$70 posted a couple days ago, will report back if meter moves. Otherwise, I'm going to be drinking like a fish.

jamesteroh Nov 27, 19 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by lazytornado (Post 31784032)
I booked a flight for $120 with a $50 GC, and the charge posted as additional collection but the meter hasn't moved and no credit yet. 3 days since it has posted, does it usually take longer?

As long as it is posting as additional collection, I would just called call after your statement closes. If it's posting as additional collection I'd think Am Ex would consider it a qualifying charge.