Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by sxc234
Just got an email, looks like they are re-starting referrals for the Personal Gold card but only at 5K.
Got the same email. But Amex actually restored it back to 5K for referring from a Personal Gold card, some time in May.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:48 am

Got the targeted email last week from Amex, for each of our Gold cards. Offers a $50 statement credit when you book pre-paid hotels/rental cars from the Amex Online Travel website.

It took a bit of time and effort, but we finally found some hotels that were not over-priced by too much on their site. You have to make sure you don't use your MR points to pay for the booking, at least not 100% of it anyways. Charge it to your Gold card instead.

The $50 statement credit appeared immediately, at the same time that the purchase appeared online.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:13 am

Updated the wiki for several items:

1. Platinum dropped back to 60K (via referral) welcome points and 15K referral points on Jun 29th, after a too-short stint at 75K/25K.
  2. Business Platinum still at 75K (via referral) and 25K for referring.
  3. Gold back to 5K referral points, after being demoted to 0 points in Jan, and now requires $1500 spending, after years of only requiring $500.
  4. Aeroplan Plus Platinum back up to 51K (via referral), expires Sep 30th
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Anyone remember when Amex upped the Tripflex to 1.25:1? Pretty sure it was through the bizgold.

I am trying to plan an oddball flight from Sydney-Port Moresby-Hoskins return. Was planning on using Avios (Qantas codeshare) but its very messy and the ideal flights just don't show up. Thinking about using the tripflex as I've a hefty MR balance. Much easier to buy all the flights through Air Niugini. Got lots of time.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:51 am

Pretty sure that was back in November. I have a confirmation from a flight on Nov 30th that I used the 1.25 MR bonus to pay off.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Any recent data points on business gold cards that have been auto-merged to an existing MR account? My wife's business gold merged with her existing MR account that, about 6 months ago, had a business gold associated with it. Worried this might be a sign that no bonus will be had...
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:06 am

I thought the BizGold is still open, not once per lifetime.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I thought the BizGold is still open, not once per lifetime.
Yeah, it is still open. Multiple bonuses still available.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:03 pm

Just takes 6+ weeks to post!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:39 pm

Open? Oh, like in "open season" on Biz cards?
Yes, Amex-Canada still has NOT restricted the churn on the Biz cards. Different story in the USA.

Jokes aside, has anyone ever monitored their actual MR account numbers? I've seen them in my statements since "card-zero", but I've only started to pay attention to them recently, as I was curious to see if this is what determines the cap on referral points (it's not).

I suppose I could dig into all my prior statements to see if my current one is the same as my original one from the pre-churn days, but it's simply too nice outside to play inside.

Elmer JJJ Fudd
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator request

Please do not offer or request referrals in this thread. The ONLY thread in which referrals may be offered is this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-posting.html

Do not reply to posts in that thread, use Flyertalk's PM system.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:03 pm

Business Platinum shows as new trade in CR

It was my understanding that Business Platinum is not reported to credit bureau. Mine showed up as a new trade in TU report with new trade date (Not backdated to my other AMEX card). Any of you had a similar experience recently?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by sunice
It was my understanding that Business Platinum is not reported to credit bureau. Mine showed up as a new trade in TU report with new trade date (Not backdated to my other AMEX card). Any of you had a similar experience recently?
Maybe as a true Corporate Business card, opened by your employer? Personally, I've only applied as a sole proprietor, so all have reported to both TU and EQ.

All of my Amex Biz products have reported with actual opening dates.

All of my Amex Personal products used to report with my "Member Since" year, but the month was the actual current month. Sadly, Amex-Canada patched this method of reporting during early 2015, and now all Personal cards report 'accurately', with the current year. It was nice while it lasted.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by sunice
Business cards applied for using your sin in Canada all get reported to your credit report. This isn't the US
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:45 am

If you are directly,personally liable for the credit card debt,it will report to your CB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.