Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Anyone else have their plat points post as 10k initially? I met the spend, received 10k immediately, but no sign of the other 50k as of yet. It's been roughly 1 - 2 weeks since the 10k posted.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:13 am

Amex really stepped up their game this year, applying the Plat $200 annual TC before the year even began
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Originally Posted by tylerc
Anyone else have their plat points post as 10k initially? I met the spend, received 10k immediately, but no sign of the other 50k as of yet. It's been roughly 1 - 2 weeks since the 10k posted.
Yes. It took around 5 weeks for the rest of my bonus (50k) to post.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by zer0k1
Amex really stepped up their game this year, applying the Plat $200 annual TC before the year even began
Yeah I noticed that. When the email popped up on my phone I was a bit worried as the email had a subject line of "Membership Rewards Redemption Shipped" and I didn't make a redemption. Anyway, nice to see the credit already available.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwoods
I have had the Plat card for a while but no longer see the value in it. I am going to move to the Amex Business Gold. I had a business gold about 5 years ago. Am I still eligible for a the bonus MR? Does anyone have data points about similar circumstances?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by somedude3210
Yeah I noticed that. When the email popped up on my phone I was a bit worried as the email had a subject line of "Membership Rewards Redemption Shipped" and I didn't make a redemption. Anyway, nice to see the credit already available.
Amex seems to be sending out these MR redemption emails for a variety of non-MR transactions. I found one in my email box this morning but have not made a redemption. No MR points removed but notation:

"Platinum TC2016"

I suspect this really indicates my new card is being mailed out as the current one expires at the end of February.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Amex seems to be sending out these MR redemption emails for a variety of non-MR transactions. I found one in my email box this morning but have not made a redemption. No MR points removed but notation:

"Platinum TC2016"

I suspect this really indicates my new card is being mailed out as the current one expires at the end of February.
TC = Travel Credit. Just notifying you that your 2016 TC is ready for use.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by 1George
I have had the Plat card for a while but no longer see the value in it. I am going to move to the Amex Business Gold. I had a business gold about 5 years ago. Am I still eligible for a the bonus MR? Does anyone have data points about similar circumstances?
Yes, you should be good to re-sign up for the 40K bonus (via referral)
I believe the new T&C doesn't apply to BUSINESS Gold anyway
just find a referral link and review the T&C, but no concerns

Good luck
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by kalderlake
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Next time, if you're still feeling averse to speaking with someone to cancel an Amex card, just use the Secured-Message email way instead. "Contact Us" > "Email Us" - "Compose a message", then select your card. Choose any topic (I usually select "Account Management" & "Terms & Conditions".

It's not as quick as calling in, with turnaround time of a couple of days, but suits me just fine. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I called in to cancel.
Thanks JJ.

I will use that instead. There's no confirmation using the phone; with your method I'll at least have some sort of record of having sent the secured message, etc.
Definitely, because you will actually have a back-and-forth dialog with a Secured-Message email support staff. And they will usually ask you once more, to confirm the correct card to be cancelled (if you have more than one), just in case you chose the wrong card during the "Compose a message" stage. Myself, I always supplement my cancellation messages with the card product name, and add "card number ending with -xxxx". The cancelled card is usually put into 'death' mode within 2-3 days after the confirmation. Do note also that most Amex cards allow you 60 days grace period to cancel with full refund of annual fees, so if you're close to the card's anniversary opening date, don't panic, you have time. If you've REALLY procrastinated, and it's past the 60 days, they will pro-rate a refund to you, so again no big deal.

Note: I've never been asked why I want to cancel, but as well I've never been given any retention offer, so if that's what you want, you're best to call in and speak with a rep (weekdays, business hours).

Happy Down-Sizing!
JJJ
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by 1George
You're probably referring to the July 1st, 2015 changes to Amex policy for one-welcome bonus per card, per lifetime?

If so, you should be good to go. But to back this up, here are some fairly recent personal datapoints of successfully approved applications done after July 1st, complete with the welcome bonus. And these are for churn cards which I (or family) have carried multiple times in recent years:
- Business Gold Rewards - 40K, mid-Dec
- Gold Rewards - 25K, Sep, Oct, Nov
- Airmiles Plat - 2000 miles, Dec

There have been others, friends and FT/RFD members, also reporting the same for Platinum Rewards and SPG Amex cards too. Churned previously, and got the welcome bonuses once more, on applications submitted after July 1st, 2015.

So, with your Plat Rewards card, you can self-refer to get the Gold Rewards (25K/FYF/$500-spending) or the Business Gold Rewards (40K/FYF/$5,000-Spending). No need to look for someone else's referral.

For now, the Business versions of the different Amex card products do not have footnotes that indicate the once per lifetime welcome bonus. I believe we are in a transitional period right now where Amex Canada is being kind enough to allow previous Personal cardholders one last kick at the can after July 1st, 2015. But, they could very will shut this door today (after all, it IS 2016 now!), and follow Amex-USA practices, and be stringent on enforcing this new policy. Let's see how 2016 unfolds.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:24 pm

Can someone find the link to AMEX Canada's car rental insurance policy? I spent the last 30 minutes on Google and was unable to locate it...
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:20 pm

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Can someone find the link to AMEX Canada's car rental insurance policy? I spent the last 30 minutes on Google and was unable to locate it...
Not sure if this is the right one, or if it matters which card you carry, but maybe close enough for your needs?
https://business.americanexpress.com...um_English.pdf

Last edited by JJonahJ; Jan 2, 2016 at 8:28 pm Reason: Fix link
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:22 am

Sorry, I am late to the party and was wondering if churning still works?

If so, what are some major changes i should b aware of?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:51 am

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Originally Posted by usepointstofly
Sorry, I am late to the party and was wondering if churning still works?

If so, what are some major changes i should b aware of?
Well, churning means to repeatedly sign up for cards for welcome bonuses, cancel before any annual fee (some are waived for the first year) comes due, wait a while and then sign up again for the same/similar welcome offer. There are several card product families with the major ones of interest being the Membership Rewards, Aeroplan Plus, SPG, Airmiles, Simply Cash. See this thread's Wiki page for some of the better offers.

The most significant change that Amex Canada has made to their policies came this past July 2015 where the footnotes/T&C now mention that the welcome offers are "only available to new American Express ___ Cardmembers. For current or former American Express ___ Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus". Which basically means that they've followed Amex-USA's footsteps to stop/hamper the churning. However, this footnote only appears for the Personal card products, and the Business versions are for the moment clear of it.

Previous cardholders have reported that they are still able to get the welcome bonus, even on a churned application post-July 1st, but this maybe due to Amex-Canada starting the clock on this policy anew after they changed the footnotes. No one on this board can say for sure, and no one at Amex can clarify as well, so it's not guaranteed you will get the welcome bonus if you do try one more churn.

Other changes that we are starting to see with more consistent frequency is that you may only choose your existing card when you want to refer others to the same card product family. But that's another topic on it's own, but referring and self-referring are part of the 'program' as well. Due to FT's TOS, if you want to share your referrals with others then you should be posting in the approved thread for this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-posting.html

As mentioned earlier, I would suggest you read this thread's Wiki for more info.

JJJ
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Well, churning means to repeatedly sign up for cards for welcome bonuses, cancel before any annual fee (some are waived for the first year) comes due, wait a while and then sign up again for the same/similar welcome offer. There are several card product families with the major ones of interest being the Membership Rewards, Aeroplan Plus, SPG, Airmiles, Simply Cash. See this thread's Wiki page for some of the better offers.

The most significant change that Amex Canada has made to their policies came this past July 2015 where the footnotes/T&C now mention that the welcome offers are "only available to new American Express ___ Cardmembers. For current or former American Express ___ Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus". Which basically means that they've followed Amex-USA's footsteps to stop/hamper the churning. However, this footnote only appears for the Personal card products, and the Business versions are for the moment clear of it.

Previous cardholders have reported that they are still able to get the welcome bonus, even on a churned application post-July 1st, but this maybe due to Amex-Canada starting the clock on this policy anew after they changed the footnotes. No one on this board can say for sure, and no one at Amex can clarify as well, so it's not guaranteed you will get the welcome bonus if you do try one more churn.

Other changes that we are starting to see with more consistent frequency is that you may only choose your existing card when you want to refer others to the same card product family. But that's another topic on it's own, but referring and self-referring are part of the 'program' as well. Due to FT's TOS, if you want to share your referrals with others then you should be posting in the approved thread for this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-posting.html

As mentioned earlier, I would suggest you read this thread's Wiki for more info.

JJJ
Thanks for the detail.

So i guess if I had the Amex Aeroplan card (2 years ago, I didn't renew), it's not worth to have my spouse refer me again? Since I am already an existing Amex user?

Also it's good to know that the new T&C doesn't apply to business. Can I refer myself to the business gold amex using my personal? or do I need to get someone to refer me? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.