Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
However like you mentioned to me before it's a real pain in the rear as you can't see what's going on inside the accounts other than the "main" account. In my case my Plat account. It is easy enough to figure out when a bump of 25 or 40K is seen and I've never had a issue of not getting 2X MR on groceries or 2X suppliers on the Biz card.

Like others I am still batting 100% on card bonuses with 3rd and 4th cards.....
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
However like you mentioned to me before it's a real pain in the rear as you can't see what's going on inside the accounts other than the "main" account. In my case my Plat account. It is easy enough to figure out when a bump of 25 or 40K is seen and I've never had a issue of not getting 2X MR on groceries or 2X suppliers on the Biz card.

Like others I am still batting 100% on card bonuses with 3rd and 4th cards.....
They've fixed things since that time. As you have a Plat card in your profile, look for an option list at the TOP of the MR points account page, to flip between "Membership Rewards" and "MR First". But in my case, I've only cycled through the Personal Gold and Business Gold cards, so there was no differentiation at the top of the page, I couldn't flip between them.

But after I merged these two MR accounts together, I can now once again select the card from the option list to the LEFT side of the page, and it shows me the MR points for either my Personal or Business Gold cards.

I normally hang onto my cards for 8-11 months, but now I'm aggressively going 'short' on my Biz Gold churns, trying to squeeze in as many cards before Amex Canada follows Amex USA's lead, and adds in the once-per-lifetime footnotes for their Business cards, that now appear under the Personal cards (even though they don't appear to be enforcing it aggressively and consistently, like the way Amex USA are).
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:19 am

Thanks grand gourmand and Jjonah

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Business plat currently pays you a 25k referral bonus. Personal plat pays you a 15k referral bonus (a few weeks ago, it was also 25k, but that's no longer the case).

That said...your best option is to go personal first. BECAUSE, the 75k business plat bonus is via a referral only. If you start "fresh" with that one you would only get a 40k bonus.

So if you apply for personal plat you'll get 50k bonus for signing up, 15k for referring to business plat then 75k bonus for the business plat (and then another 25k referral from biz plat to personal gold and 25k personal gold bonus).

Or...you can check your inbox on FT and I'm sure you'll get a few referral offer inquiries. That's not a bad idea to take someone up on that. You would then start with the biz plat for 75k bonus, then 25k for referring yourself to personal plat then a 60k bonus to personal plat and then 25k referral to personal gold and 25k for personal gold bonus. Total is 210k points (doing it yourself as I described in the previous paragraph nets you "only" 190k).

BTW, there is a referral offer thread somewhere if you want to see who's making offers. I digress.
As stated earlier many thanks for the insight. I was going off the information on the Amex Canada website for personal platinum and it still says 25k referral yet I knew I read somewhere it dropped. It's clear now the rationale behind acquiring the biz plat first.

Truthfully aside from the better points referral, it sucks that you cannot take a guest into a centurion lounge for free with the biz plat like you can with the personal plat. I believe that was the only downfall. Can someone confirm if FHR benefits are the same between both cards. That's where my spend will be primarily is FHR.

Ohhhhh lastly so I don't have to make another post. How does FHR work, must I book AND pay with platinum to receive said benefit or can I book with platinum but request to be paid with personal gold to take advantage of the better points earning? I ask because I'm going to do about 3k min spend on an upcoming trip just on FHR hotels.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Thro
As stated earlier many thanks for the insight. I was going off the information on the Amex Canada website for personal platinum and it still says 25k referral yet I knew I read somewhere it dropped. It's clear now the rationale behind acquiring the biz plat first.

Truthfully aside from the better points referral, it sucks that you cannot take a guest into a centurion lounge for free with the biz plat like you can with the personal plat. I believe that was the only downfall. Can someone confirm if FHR benefits are the same between both cards. That's where my spend will be primarily is FHR.
With regards to the lounge access differences between the Personal Plat and Business Plat cards - in addition to the Centurion lounges, the Personal Plat provides a membership to the Priority Pass lounge program, AND FREE access for you and 1 guest to the lounges in their program. However, the Business Plat simply provides you a membership to the Priority Pass lounge program, but requires you to pay US$27 to access the lounge. Big difference.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:38 am

Merging

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Funny, how in the recent past we would want/prefer the multitude of different, newly-opened MR cards to automatically merge together, as successive new cards were opened, so that we wouldn't need to request for it by phone/Secured-Message - recall, Amex used to raise a stink about it before complying to the merge requests, and then eventually it became almost automatic without asking.

Now, the Amex-churning planet has rotated and we DO prefer to see different MR accounts, just in case this helps enusre that the repeat welcome bonuses on the Personal cards will continue to be awarded.

These are the chronicles, of the Days of Our Amex-Churning Lives.
So merging cards makes it one giant bill to be paid each month?

Are you saying DO NOT merge it so that they are separate entities to track spend, referral bonuses and such independently on each card? Excuse my ignorance I'm trying to grasp the concept.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Thro
So merging cards makes it one giant bill to be paid each month?

Are you saying DO NOT merge it so that they are separate entities to track spend, referral bonuses and such independently on each card? Excuse my ignorance I'm trying to grasp the concept.
Sorry, but no. And to avoid any further confusion, just disregard that discussion about merging MR accounts, as it's not important for your upcoming churning 'adventure'. There's no real advantage to merging the MR accounts anymore, and as you suggest, may be easier to 'see' things separately.

But for your reference, if you're curious to know, the different cards will have their own statements and online account, totally separate. They may or may not have their Membership Rewards (MR) accounts merged together. These MR accounts have their own membership number, and you find this listed on your statements. If merged, one of the Amex cards will be designated as the primary account for earning MR points, and the other(s) will have a note to say something like "Please view your points balance under primary Card : XXX-01000".
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:03 pm

Thanks again Jonah!

Sorry, but no. And to avoid any further confusion, just disregard that discussion about merging MR accounts, as it's not important for your upcoming churning 'adventure'. There's no real advantage to merging the MR accounts anymore, and as you suggest, may be easier to 'see' things separately.

But for your reference, if you're curious to know, the different cards will have their own statements and online account, totally separate. They may or may not have their Membership Rewards (MR) accounts merged together. These MR accounts have their own membership number, and you find this listed on your statements. If merged, one of the Amex cards will be designated as the primary account for earning MR points, and the other(s) will have a note to say something like "Please view your points balance under primary Card : XXX-01000".
Thanks again for a quick response Jonah much appreciated! I now completely understand and acknowledge all cards and related statements are separate and that so should the MR points for each card. This makes viewing easier to track referrals I think where as I see no benefit to merging especially for the purposes of churning. Thanks again!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
How aggressive are you on the bizgold? I rotate 2 different businesses. Use #1 for 4-5 months, then apply for #2, cancel #1 within a few weeks, use #2 for 4-6 months -repeat.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
With regards to the lounge access differences between the Personal Plat and Business Plat cards - in addition to the Centurion lounges, the Personal Plat provides a membership to the Priority Pass lounge program, AND FREE access for you and 1 guest to the lounges in their program. However, the Business Plat simply provides you a membership to the Priority Pass lounge program, but requires you to pay US$27 to access the lounge. Big difference.
Interesting.

Right now, I have both Personal Plat and Business Plat cards, and Mrs Sofasurfer and I each have a Diners Card from work that gets us PP lounge access as individuals.

We'll be travelling with two kids soon. Trying to work out how best to play getting the four of us in to a lounge at LGW between all of these.

(I believe that we should all be good at YYZ T3 International, as - IIRC - the Canadian lounge benefit for Personal Plat is for cardholder, spouse, and up to two kids)

Not sure how best to play it at LGW, though. Looks like I get a +1 for the Personal Plat only. Is it possible to use the other cards to get other small people in? It's not like the lounge won't get revenue, right..?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Quick question. I couldn't find on Amex' website.

SPG Amex - I'm the only sole primary holder.
If I charge an airfare to my card for a family member. Will that family member get covered by the travel insurance?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Quick question. I couldn't find on Amex' website.

SPG Amex - I'm the only sole primary holder.
If I charge an airfare to my card for a family member. Will that family member get covered by the travel insurance?
Based on one of my discussions with Royal Sun Alliance, Amex's insurance underwriter, Amex Canada cards only provide coverages for cardholder, spouse and DEPENDENT children (<21, or <25+full-time student).

So, if you want your folks, or siblings, or friends to be covered, then you have to open a supplementary card under their name and have THEM buy their tickets with that card, so they will be covered.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Based on one of my discussions with Royal Sun Alliance, Amex's insurance underwriter, Amex Canada cards only provide coverages for cardholder, spouse and DEPENDENT children (<21, or <25+full-time student).

So, if you want your folks, or siblings, or friends to be covered, then you have to open a supplementary card under their name and have THEM buy their tickets with that card, so they will be covered.
Thanks. I read that part on Amex's site. The spouse/dependent < 23 yrs old etc for "$500,000 Travel Accident Insurance". But I wasn't sure if the same criteria applies for the flight delay / baggage delay / lost stolen baggage insurance.

Guess it would be safer to charge it to my Amex Gold supplementary. Just that I wanted the SPG points...
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Thanks. I read that part on Amex's site. The spouse/dependent < 23 yrs old etc for "$500,000 Travel Accident Insurance". But I wasn't sure if the same criteria applies for the flight delay / baggage delay / lost stolen baggage insurance.

Guess it would be safer to charge it to my Amex Gold supplementary. Just that I wanted the SPG points...
During that discussion, when I called to ask about this, it was specifically for flight travel delay/baggage coverage, and that's the answer that was given to me.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:54 pm

Airfare counts as travel, earns 2 Mr per dollar spent on the personal gold.

AmEx Mr Canada transfers to SPG at 2 to 1 ratio.

Therefore you end up with 1 SPG point per dollar spent anyways
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:39 am

Just got an email, looks like they are re-starting referrals for the Personal Gold card but only at 5K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.