Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by SOWK
Had the personal Gold Rewards card and cancelled it 2-3 months ago. It was my first Gold card and I had it open for about 6 months. Would like to self refer from Plat for a new Gold before the end of the month to take advantage of referral bonus before it (presumably) changes.

Anyone have experience re-applying after a short time? New account or reinstatement?
Wait at least 4 months..I usually wait 6 months just to make sure
Old Jun 19, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Had the personal Gold Rewards card and cancelled it 2-3 months ago. It was my first Gold card and I had it open for about 6 months. Would like to self refer from Plat for a new Gold before the end of the month to take advantage of referral bonus before it (presumably) changes.

Anyone have experience re-applying after a short time? New account or reinstatement?
keep in mind that personal Gold is now supposedly once-in-a-lifetime so you might not get any signup-bonus (but will get the referral if that's all you're looking for anyway)
Old Jun 19, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
keep in mind that personal Gold is now supposedly once-in-a-lifetime so you might not get any signup-bonus (but will get the referral if that's all you're looking for anyway)
Less worried about welcome bonus so long as referral from Plat stays at 25000. I wouldn't mind having it another year though for the 2x MR on gas/grocery (especially with FYF).

Likely won't reapply before the end of June. Don't want to have them reinstate my old account.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:43 am

Personal experience:

Cancelled personal gold in February (after 11 months), reapplied 2 weeks ago, new MR account set up, self-referral bonus (25k from plat) posted within 24 hours, on my way to the $1500 spend and will post back on whether I get it or not. Either way am happy.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Toddcan
Good point! I was worried that I might have had to spend $1,500. But, it was $500.

However, I JUST referred my wife a gold card. I've never had a amex card for her - she was not approved online right away - but after 3-4 days, she was approved. In fact, I knew she was approved because of the 25,000 referral points in my Platinum account. Within 2 hours, I got the email saying she was approved BUT.. the approval was just last week (June 2, I think). I suspect her card will need the $1,500 trigger. I'll post here when I know. We're heading to Hawaii next month on a reward flight, so I'll just use her card for purchases - will add up quickly
Update: My wife's Amex Gold needed a $1,500 spend to trigger the 25,000 welcome points. Points arrived today after the trigger was met sometime on the weekend.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by alc
Pearson Parking Discount is also a feature for Biz Plat.

Not sure which lounge you use the most, but just a reminder that some lounges can be in with just the AMEX Plat Card itself without PP membership.

Here is the link where you can review the AMEX benefits:

http://www.amexcloud10.ca/CardMember.aspx
Have you received the Pearson Parking discount on your Business Platinum? The various sites seem to conflict - Amex site shows it as a benefit for Personal Platinum but it's not listed for Business Platinum.

In fact, the Amexcloud10 site does show it on the Parking page as one of the eligible cards, but if you click the card icon at the top the Parking benefit is grayed out.

Anyway, I'm going to be parking there for a few days this week, trying to figure out if I should put this on my Platinum card (for the discount), or Business Platinum (to help get to my min. spend). Would love to get both in one shot!

Yes I know, first world problems...

g.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Hogo
Did one last Sunday, was in my Avios account next day, Monday
Deleted as issue resolved.

Last edited by prmetime; Jun 20, 2016 at 10:34 pm Reason: Resolved
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Canibus
Personal experience:

Cancelled personal gold in February (after 11 months), reapplied 2 weeks ago, new MR account set up, self-referral bonus (25k from plat) posted within 24 hours, on my way to the $1500 spend and will post back on whether I get it or not. Either way am happy.
Despite any pm's that you may have received telling you not to post back.....please do.

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:07 pm
alc

Originally Posted by groovejumper
Have you received the Pearson Parking discount on your Business Platinum? The various sites seem to conflict - Amex site shows it as a benefit for Personal Platinum but it's not listed for Business Platinum.

In fact, the Amexcloud10 site does show it on the Parking page as one of the eligible cards, but if you click the card icon at the top the Parking benefit is grayed out.

Anyway, I'm going to be parking there for a few days this week, trying to figure out if I should put this on my Platinum card (for the discount), or Business Platinum (to help get to my min. spend). Would love to get both in one shot!

Yes I know, first world problems...

g.
I actually never own a Biz Plat... yet -- I (finally) applied last week and is approved and (I hope) it is on its way to me now.

The info I posted are really just based off the web site and the following T&C: (Point #5, #6, & #7)

http://www.amexcloud10.ca/terms-and-conditions.aspx

5. Toronto Pearson Valet Service - Basic and Supplementary eligible American Express® Cards (The Platinum Card®, American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Platinum Card, American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Reserve Card and the Business Platinum CardTM from American Express®) ("Eligible Cardmembers") must charge the parking fee to their Eligible Card for the associated $25 Valet fee to be waived. Waived fee applies only to Toronto Pearson Airport Valet Services in Terminal 1 and 3. For more information on Valet Service visit torontopearson.com.

6. Toronto Pearson Discounted Car Care - Select Cardmembers Only (The Platinum Card®, American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Platinum Card, American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Reserve Card and the Business Platinum CardTM from American Express®). Conditions Apply. Only Canadian American Express® Cards are eligible for the Car Care services.

7. Toronto Pearson 15% Parking Discount - 15% discount off the cost of parking (including taxes) will be provided as a credit to your eligible American Express®Card (The Platinum Card®, American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Platinum Card, American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Reserve Card and the Business Platinum CardTM from American Express®) statement. The parking lot is subject to availability. Discount available at Express Park in Terminal 1 and Daily Park in Terminals 1 & 3. For more information on parking lots visittorontopearson.com.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Hello. Just a quick data point. I received more than 225,000 referral points on the person AMEX Platinum this calendar year.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by loun80
Hello. Just a quick data point. I received more than 225,000 referral points on the person AMEX Platinum this calendar year.
How many?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:42 pm

Cool.For what cost?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:46 pm

I believe the "9 max/225K" is only effective after March 2016 change
The referrals done before that doesn't seem to fall under the 9 quota

but good for you!
I know for sure they stopped at 9 (or 10?) after the March change
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I believe the "9 max/225K" is only effective after March 2016 change
The referrals done before that doesn't seem to fall under the 9 quota

but good for you!
I know for sure they stopped at 9 (or 10?) after the March change
Are you saying they actually will not grant points if it's the 10th or whatever referral this calendar year?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by jubberly
Despite any pm's that you may have received telling you not to post back.....please do.

Thanks!
Why would he/she receive PMs asking to not post back ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.