Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by loun80
Are payments with Plastiq considered as cash advances? I met my minimum spend using Plastiq. If indeed it is considered a cash advance, then that would explain why I have not received the bonus points.
I paid my taxes on plastiq to meet the $5000 minimum spend. No problem. Treated as a purchase and points posted within a day (including 75K sign-up bonus on business platinum).

Last edited by Low Roller; Jul 29, 2016 at 7:16 am Reason: forgot to include quote
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
What do you mean?
As of last week I had 3 different MR #'s. I asked for 2 to be consolidated over a week ago. The 3rd was a brand new BizGold and the bonus posted instantly when I kit $5k. Then I log in today and I have all my MR points under my Plat card, they rolled the new BizGold into the Plat. I don't really care but I didn't ask.
I take it that I shouldn't have gotten a new MR for the BizGold, got my points quick though The new personal gold is going to be a while as it was auto assigned under the Plat from day 1.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan , AMEX
Just got Amex Plat Business and currently holding Personal Gold .
They assigned new MR # to Platinum card , so I called them to consolidate
Platinum and Gold Mr accounts , so I have all the points in one place .
But to my surprize they refused . The explanation is ona card is MR and another is
Mr First Tier and they cannot be combined . The rep even called the MR department to
find out and got the same answer . I do not know if that is right or not.
Maybe someone has the same situation ?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by ericosuave
But to my surprize they refused . The explanation is ona card is MR and another is
Mr First Tier and they cannot be combined . The rep even called the MR department to
Same thing for me, my original Plat cards are in MR First, my newer Gold card is in Membership Rewards.

For my wife, started with Gold in Membership Rewards, then her Plat ended up in the same account.

Maybe it depends which you had first?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
Has there been any recent experience whether the referral bonus still posts a day after the application is approved, or is there a more lengthy delay now?

Last edited by roubaolic; Jul 31, 2016 at 11:55 am
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by roubaolic
Has there been any recent experience whether the referral bonus still posts a day after the application is approved, or is there a more lengthy delay now?
Not seeing any delays here. They are posting for us, early in the morning after the approval.

These are for true friends so I know when they applied and that they had instant approvals.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Jul 31, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by roubaolic
Made a referral on Friday....no referral points yet.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by jubberly
Self-referred about a week ago… still no points

Worried that it didn't process the referral correctly, or that they caught on to the self-refer.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I referred my hubby last week. It wasn't an instant approval but I had the referral points within about 2 days (before he got his acceptance e-mail)
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan , AMEX
Just an update and conclusion .

Contacted "Ask Amex" via Twitter with the same question I asked during the original phone call with an agent. Got response within an hour .Stating that
it is possible to link two accounts MR and MR First Tier ,but the accounts have to be under the same name . ( which is in my case ) So I talked to Amex again and quoted the response from twitter and MR terms and condition passage that states exactly the same .
Account were linked together ( after 48 hours ) and all points are now under
MR First Tier . Which is better for redemptions .
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
What exactly is the difference between MR First and basic MR?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Just an update and conclusion .

Contacted "Ask Amex" via Twitter with the same question I asked during the original phone call with an agent. Got response within an hour .Stating that
it is possible to link two accounts MR and MR First Tier ,but the accounts have to be under the same name . ( which is in my case ) So I talked to Amex again and quoted the response from twitter and MR terms and condition passage that states exactly the same .
Account were linked together ( after 48 hours ) and all points are now under
MR First Tier . Which is better for redemptions .
I had no issue when I asked them to combine my MR accounts. Here was their response:

"I have immediately raised a request with membership rewards department. They will link you reward accounts within 3-5 business days.

The reference number to this request is xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Have an excellent day ahead!"
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Airmiles, RBC Rewards, British Airways Avios, American Airlines Aadvantage
Originally Posted by jubberly
I made a referral 4 weeks ago and he already has his card and met his bonus threshold. I'm still waiting on my referral points. I called 2 weeks ago and they said it could take up to 12 weeks. I'm a bit annoyed.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:10 am

You guys aren't alone, many (on RFD at least) reported no INSTANT referral points, even for AMEXMR referral

I'm waiting on 2 referrals too, NOT self-referrals thankfully, so I can argue later on
Plat -> Biz Gold = 15K AMEX MR
Biz SPG -> SPG Personal = 10K SPG
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I referred my wife for SPG Amex a few weeks ago and the points showed up the day my statement cycled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.