Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Aeroplan status is entirely useless I find anyway, not sure why people even bother with it...
I took advantage of the discount towards a market fare`flight that was already "on sale" when fixed mileage wasn't available.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by jubberly
I took advantage of the discount towards a market fare`flight that was already "on sale" when fixed mileage wasn't available.
I've done this a few times. With the distinction discount, you can often get market fare flights in North America for around the same amount as the fixed mileage awards, but with much better availability.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: AP, SPG, DL
Anyone? I really need to know if I need to keep trying to find things to charge, or if I am good to go now that my points have been posted.

Originally Posted by tagor
I applied for a new Business Gold Rewards card in July through a referral link.
I thought the terms were spend $5000 in the first 3 months and receive 40,000 Member Reward Points.
I got my very first statement (August 21) I have $2686 worth of spending, which gave me 2686 points.
However they also awarded me 10,000 Welcome Bonus & 30,000 Bonus points, bringing my points total to 42,686.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else received their bonus points on the first statement without reaching the spending requirements?

2) Will they claw back the bonus if I don't continue to spend the whole $5,000 in the first 3 months.

This is important for me to know, because quite frankly it is very difficult for me to reach that level of spending. Most of my large purchases are made at merchants that do not accept Amex. I was able to charge some furniture a family member bought (and will pay me back) on this first statement to get the $2686.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:03 pm

Anyone? I really need to know if I need to keep trying to find things to charge, or if I am good to go now that my points have been posted.
Honestly, nobody knows, not even AMEX
I'd count yourself super lucky

It's up to you.
Personally I'd gamble (not trying $5K) only b/c I have enough points already
but if you DO need those points, then be safe than sorry
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
If I were you I would not bring this to attention to the world like you did.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:33 pm

If you transfer your points.....eg.to aeroplan,they cant take the points back.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:58 pm
alc

Originally Posted by jubberly
If you transfer your points.....eg.to aeroplan,they cant take the points back.
I kind of recall someone report here a few years ago that when they cancel the card with negative points balance get charge $0.01 per point.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:05 am

Could anyone quickly indicate what the post up-to-date status is for referral bonuses for those who already had an Amex gold?

I know the changes were instated a year or so ago, and then some people still had no problem. Recent posts in this thread seem to mention a lot about the business cards, which I believe are under different referral terms. Basically, without going through all 80 pages:

If I had a gold card over a year and a half ago, can I apply to a new one and receive the 25k?

Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by ft531
Could anyone quickly indicate what the post up-to-date status is for referral bonuses for those who already had an Amex gold?

I know the changes were instated a year or so ago, and then some people still had no problem. Recent posts in this thread seem to mention a lot about the business cards, which I believe are under different referral terms. Basically, without going through all 80 pages:

If I had a gold card over a year and a half ago, can I apply to a new one and receive the 25k?

Thanks!
According to terms no.....but many recent reports of yes.I havent read a single report of a no.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I can't hold 2 Biz Gold Rewards cards (for different businesses) at the same time, can I?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by Preacher7
I can't hold 2 Biz Gold Rewards cards (for different businesses) at the same time, can I?
You absolutely can, subject to credit worthiness of course.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by beep88
You absolutely can, subject to credit worthiness of course.
Well, thx for the encouraging word! Here's another related question: Can more than one person hold a Biz Gold card for the same business (it's a legitimate business)? I don't mean as an authorized user.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by ft531

Well, I'll give you a data point. I used to churn these cards quite a bit, but stopped sometime around 2014. I decided to just keep my Platinum card, and call it a day as I had over a million MR points and nothing to spend them on.

Cut to this summer, I applied for a new gold card because I thought I'd get back in the game. I received the 25,000 referral bonus in my Platinum card's MR account on the next day, and then spent the $1500 required over the next month once I received the gold card.

And I'm still waiting for the other 25,000 welcome bonus from the gold card.

Now the terms and conditions do say it can take some time to post, so I've not bothered to call Amex yet. It has only been about 8 weeks (not even two statements.)

On the one hand, I did get my share of MR and Aeroplan points when the churning was good, so I shouldn't complain, but on the other hand I stopped churning well before the policy in place now was brought in.

That's been my experience so far. I'm waiting and seeing. If they do post, or if they tell me I'm not eligible I'll report back.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Well, thx for the encouraging word! Here's another related question: Can more than one person hold a Biz Gold card for the same business (it's a legitimate business)? I don't mean as an authorized user.
Yes, we had 3 people holding biz gold cards at the same time with the same business name and address.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
Yes, we had 3 people holding biz gold cards at the same time with the same business name and address.
Ditto. Except in my case only two cards on same business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.