Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
I have a Gold card and referred a friend (after the June 29th changes). He ended up applying for the Platinum card instead. Just to document as a data point, I ended up getting 5K for the referral and not 15K (I assume one only gets 15K if they have the platinum card themselves?).
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
I have a Gold card and referred a friend (after the June 29th changes). He ended up applying for the Platinum card instead. Just to document as a data point, I ended up getting 5K for the referral and not 15K (I assume one only gets 15K if they have the platinum card themselves?).
Yes, no matter what card they applied for, you would only get 5000 since you hold the Gold card.

If you have the Platinum Personal Card, you would get 15,000 no matter what card they chose from the MR Card Family. (Business Plat, Business Gold, Personal Plat, Personal Gold)
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:12 am

Have there been any reports of Amex not giving the 25k welcome bonus for repeat applicants after July 1, 2015? My SO hit the $500 spend yesterday (confirmed with agent that the min spend was indeed $500) and hasn't seen points post instantly. I recall that by and large the Personal Gold welcome bonus posted instantly for most folks, so I was wondering if this was a sign of the "new normal"... of course I'll be waiting 8-10 weeks to see if they do magically appear.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyer05
Have there been any reports of Amex not giving the 25k welcome bonus for repeat applicants after July 1, 2015? My SO hit the $500 spend yesterday (confirmed with agent that the min spend was indeed $500) and hasn't seen points post instantly. I recall that by and large the Personal Gold welcome bonus posted instantly for most folks, so I was wondering if this was a sign of the "new normal"... of course I'll be waiting 8-10 weeks to see if they do magically appear.
I have a repeat Personal Gold, and honestly wasn't expecting the 25K points as I just wanted the card for the bonus points categories. Mine posted after several weeks, not the day after I met the spend. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by flyer05
Here's a tip: With our churn team on recent GR apps, sometimes the 25K bonus has hit right after meeting the spend on repeat applicants, but sometimes not.

If it doesn't hit right away, and the applicant is a repeat, DO NOT e-mail them! Just wait till 10 weeks after hitting spend, and the bonus will post. If you bring the lack of points to their attention, they will disqualify you for the bonus, as a repeater. The former happened to one of us today, the latter about a month ago. Just wait it out, and don't draw attention to it, let the computer do the work for you.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Here's a tip: With our churn team on recent GR apps, sometimes the 25K bonus has hit right after meeting the spend on repeat applicants, but sometimes not.

If it doesn't hit right away, and the applicant is a repeat, DO NOT e-mail them! Just wait till 10 weeks after hitting spend, and the bonus will post. If you bring the lack of points to their attention, they will disqualify you for the bonus, as a repeater. The former happened to one of us today, the latter about a month ago. Just wait it out, and don't draw attention to it, let the computer do the work for you.
Preacher, thanks for the sage advice!

Like with George Costanza, it's great that we "have access to your dementia".
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:09 pm

Echoing JJonahJ's thoughts, thanks for the advice. And thanks sxc234 for the data point as well. ^

Let's hope my call to them didn't serve the same purpose of that email. The agent gave me the usual 8-10 week spiel and, as an afterthought, did say "oh, one thing though, you aren't eligible if you've had the card before" but I don't think she checked whether or not I was a repeater (at least, I hope not).
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, FPC Plat

Yup - This just happened with my wife's card. She's a repeat gold holder and it had been about 10 weeks. I figured she wasn't getting it this time around. Lo and behold, today it showed up. Patience, patience.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots

Don't call the airline, and don't call Amex !
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
For the Amex Plat priority pass - does the guest have to be on the same flight or does any same-day flight get them in free with me?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
For the Amex Plat priority pass - does the guest have to be on the same flight or does any same-day flight get them in free with me?
Any flight
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
may have been answered before---but rechecking to get latest answers--
Received my Platinum card today...should i sign up for the Priority pass right away..or should I wait for later (currently have BMO worldelite with 4 passes)......
reasoning-- planning not to renew the platinum card at end of year.....
does the Priority pass get cancelled with plat card cancellation ...
or is it good for 1 year....if its good for 1 year...will wait to apply..
otherwise would apply right away...thanks
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by sunnyzip
may have been answered before---but rechecking to get latest answers--
Received my Platinum card today...should i sign up for the Priority pass right away..or should I wait for later (currently have BMO worldelite with 4 passes)......
reasoning-- planning not to renew the platinum card at end of year.....
does the Priority pass get cancelled with plat card cancellation ...
or is it good for 1 year....if its good for 1 year...will wait to apply..
otherwise would apply right away...thanks
It gets cancelled fairly soon after credit card cancellation. Best to apply for the Priority Pass sooner than later
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I have an Amex Gold Rewards card. When I click on the referral button online it only lets me recommend the same card. Is there a way to refer a different card, ie the Amex Platinum?

thanks
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan
If you follow the link you will see a page where the Gold is show but also other Amex cards on the bottom left (Business Gold, Platinum)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.