Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Really? shouldn't be

I know AMEX give you shorten URL
http://amex.ca/share/XXXXXXXXXXXX

which becomes
https://www316.americanexpress.com/i.../un/iforms.do?...............................

I know the shorten URL gets blocked by some (e.g. my work)
Long URL works everywhere

but you're right, Both short AND long URL don't work for me now
shorten URL >> https://idap-e3.americanexpress.com/...en/share/XXXXX and stuck

my saved www316 URL does work
My (ancient) www316 link works as well. Odd.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:35 pm

I couldn't access my wife's referral link at night, thought it was just maintenance or something. Ended up applying the next morning
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Hmmm. I think, based on my PMs, that I may have not been clear. It's the Air Miles Plat, not the regular Plat I've been trying to apply for.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Really? shouldn't be

I know AMEX give you shorten URL
http://amex.ca/share/XXXXXXXXXXXX

which becomes
https://www316.americanexpress.com/i.../un/iforms.do?...............................

I know the shorten URL gets blocked by some (e.g. my work)
Long URL works everywhere

but you're right, Both short AND long URL don't work for me now
shorten URL >> https://idap-e3.americanexpress.com/...en/share/XXXXX and stuck

my saved www316 URL does work
And yes, that is what I mean. You see the problem, right? Wondering what to do...
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
The referral from my Plat Air Miles works as of right now. I'm able to get to the application page , click 'get started' , and start filling out my info.

Perhaps just a temp glitch?

edit: looks like my all referrals are broken like you guys. I tried all 3 (Plat AM, Plat, SPG) and all links can't be reached. (as of 6/11 7:45AM EST)

Last edited by Cerenity; Jun 11, 2016 at 5:46 am
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Cerenity
The referral from my Plat Air Miles works as of right now. I'm able to get to the application page , click 'get started' , and start filling out my info.

Perhaps just a temp glitch?

edit: looks like my all referrals are broken like you guys. I tried all 3 (Plat AM, Plat, SPG) and all links can't be reached. (as of 6/11 7:45AM EST)
Tried again this morning and still no go. Not a huge deal, as with the way I use Air Miles it'll only amount to losing out on a $20 Keg Gift Certificate after applying through GCR.

Although $20 is more than half way to a Baseball Steak...
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:38 am

i got it to work about 30 min ago and was able to do an app (her Gold referred from my Plat)
just keep trying once in a while
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:47 am

I tried my shorn link this morning and it worked fine (redirected to www316)
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:16 pm

Woke up this morning and--lo and behold--the link worked! So I applied. Instant approval. Weird though. Hope the link stays active till later this week as we need to apply for another one in a few days.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold
Had a question about the annual travel credit.

My year with AMEX Plat is about to come to an end in 2 weeks. I don't intend to renew the card, and have my $200 travel credit for this calendar year. I used the credit for 2015 already, and was wondering how likely is that AMEX will demand that I pay the $200 travel credit once I cancel the card 2 weeks after using the 2016 travel credit?

I browsed through the forums and saw random cases of AMEX demanding the credit back (e.g. if someone reapplied for the card and tried using the travel credit twice in the same calendar year or when someone cancelled their card and requesting a refund pro rata) - but haven't seen a normal case of using the travel credit twice (in 2 calendar years) and then just cancelling the card before the annual fees are due.

Any personal experiences?

Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:09 am
alc

Originally Posted by rottenflesh
Had a question about the annual travel credit.

My year with AMEX Plat is about to come to an end in 2 weeks. I don't intend to renew the card, and have my $200 travel credit for this calendar year. I used the credit for 2015 already, and was wondering how likely is that AMEX will demand that I pay the $200 travel credit once I cancel the card 2 weeks after using the 2016 travel credit?

I browsed through the forums and saw random cases of AMEX demanding the credit back (e.g. if someone reapplied for the card and tried using the travel credit twice in the same calendar year or when someone cancelled their card and requesting a refund pro rata) - but haven't seen a normal case of using the travel credit twice (in 2 calendar years) and then just cancelling the card before the annual fees are due.

Any personal experiences?

Thanks!
one of my co-worker that cancel the card shortly after he used the $200 got the $200 taken away. So, I will set your expectation that they will take it back. I believed one advice given was use the $200, then generate a bunch of transactions, i.e. when buying stuff, separate receipt per item, or buy and refund, etc... The idea is to push that $200 credit transaction line as far down the line as possible and hopefully the agent that cancel your card doesn't catch it as I do think the reversal is done manually.

Good Luck and report back what happen at the end.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:17 am

We always use the 2nd $200 well before (a few months at least) the actual cancellation & always cancel before the AF hits. Haven't had any issues so far
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:10 am

does anyone know if the Westjet discount still exists for Platinum cardholders?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Handcake
I heard back from them a few hours ago.

I signed up at the beginning of April and met my $500 spend within the first month. The agent said that I do indeed only need $500 to qualify for the 25000 MR but it takes 4-10 weeks after the date of when you qualify to post to your account. I have about 4-6 weeks more to wait for that.

I self recommended myself with my PLAT and that 25k was posted the same day I applied. I got the GOLD card 2 days later
Great news, I also hit the $500 spend and the points came in right away. I signed up just before the change to the $1500 requirement.

thanks for the update
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:48 pm

I've read the $200 definitely being taken back if you cancel after the annual fee posts - they will only give a partial refund on the annual fee. Generally cancelling before the annual fee posts will result in more flexibility, especially if you can wait to cancel until after the statement is issued for the month when you got the $200 credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.