Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan , AMEX
Originally Posted by loun80
I had no issue when I asked them to combine my MR accounts. Here was their response:

"I have immediately raised a request with membership rewards department. They will link you reward accounts within 3-5 business days.

The reference number to this request is xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Have an excellent day ahead!"
I guess all depends on the agent and how knowledgeable he or she is .
My follow up call was much productive .
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by jubberly
Yep....my bad.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ac-co...7/7/#p26661031

Looks like a dud - considered cash advance plus restrictions when you try to take cash out
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Does anybody know whether the Amex Air Miles Platinum card will gain entry into the Centurion Lounges without extra charge?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
Does anybody know whether the Amex Air Miles Platinum card will gain entry into the Centurion Lounges without extra charge?
No

Actual annual-fee Platinum cards do
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
No

Actual annual-fee Platinum cards do
How about the Aeroplan Plat Amex?

I'm not sure what qualifies as "Actual".
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
How about the Aeroplan Plat Amex?

I'm not sure what qualifies as "Actual".
Only the actual platinum cards

e.g. American Express Platinum Card and its Business equivalent.

and no, also not the aeroplan plat
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Only the actual platinum cards

e.g. American Express Platinum Card and its Business equivalent.

and no, also not the aeroplan plat
Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:47 pm

Thanks!
You could've Google'ed it or checked AMEX's website too
http://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access

Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:13 am

You could've Google'ed it or checked AMEX's website too
http://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access

Note: Certain Platinum Cards may display the name and/or logo of a third party merchant or financial institution. For questions about eligibility of these Platinum Cards for complimentary access to The Centurion Lounge, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I've thought about trying this in the US but I never had the nerve to do it

Personally I find it odd that Amex would water down the "prestige" of the Platinum name by allowing third-party merchants/FIs to attach their identities to what are not really very premium cards.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by heraclitus
...odd that Amex would water down the "prestige" of the Platinum name by allowing third-party merchants/FIs to attach their identities to what are not really very premium cards.
Agreed, but when MasterCard and VISA introduced Gold and Platinum cards it exposed the weakness of American Express' decision to base their branding on colors.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:56 pm

Anyone had problem where the associated MR account appears to be missing? I can only see my account balance, can't find my points balance anywhere. When I manually go to the MR rewards site, it says "You must be enrolled in Membership Rewards in order to View Points".
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:00 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know when they changed it from 25k per referral to 15k for plat card holders?

I self referred myself a gold card in March and immediately got the 25k, even before the card was sent out.

I referred my mom in July and it took a month and a bit for them to post points and it was only 15k.

I got no notice of the change, but my plat card renew is in June and one of the things that tipped the scale in me keeping it was the 25k bonus MR points per referral despite the card I was referring.

I'm looking for a bit of information as if they just changed without really advertising it, I'm going to ask for either the 10k points or they do something to retain me on the plat card..I was looking to do 3 referrals a year for 75k in bonus...
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Handcake
Does anyone know when they changed it from 25k per referral to 15k for plat card holders?

I self referred myself a gold card in March and immediately got the 25k, even before the card was sent out.

I referred my mom in July and it took a month and a bit for them to post points and it was only 15k.

I got no notice of the change, but my plat card renew is in June and one of the things that tipped the scale in me keeping it was the 25k bonus MR points per referral despite the card I was referring.

I'm looking for a bit of information as if they just changed without really advertising it, I'm going to ask for either the 10k points or they do something to retain me on the plat card..I was looking to do 3 referrals a year for 75k in bonus...
Sad to say, they won't do anything. You can only hope they bring it back

3/23~6/29, 75K welcome & 25K referral
pre 3/23 and post-6/29, back to 60K welcome & 15K referral (the regular offer since 2012?)

see my thread
Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:13 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Sad to say, they won't do anything. You can only hope they bring it back

3/23~6/29, 75K welcome & 25K referral
pre 3/23 and post-6/29, back to 60K welcome & 15K referral (the regular offer since 2012?)

see my thread
Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
I put in a ticket and they gave me the extra 10000 points. I am not sure exactly when I referred my mom but it was close to 6/29 or so as she got it early July.

I didn't realize the 25k referral only started in March. I guess I got 50k from that. I was going to do another maybe I'll hold off till they offer 25k again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.