Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
MO Bangkok

Most every year I use my Centurion free night here and I just finished this years stay. Was upgraded at time of booking to Mandarin room which is very large and nicely appointed. Unlike previous years, they allow FHR to have a full buffet breakfast which is the best in Bangkok, right on the river. $100 spa credit too, 4pm check out honored without question. The best hotel in the world IMHO.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:06 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS Gold75k, WN CP, Starwood Gold
Four Seasons Sayan in Bali

Had a great 3 night stay there, using 2 nights, get 1 free deal.

Upon arrival, was greeted with a very friendly welcome and acknowledged we booked with FHR. We originally booked Deluxe Suite and was upgraded to a one bedroom villa ($220 difference per night). They are undergoing renovations now for almost all their suites, so unsure if they would have upgraded us if suites were actually available. Regardless, it was definitely a huge upgrade as the villa is not connected to the main resort, is significantly larger and has a private pool. In addition to the upgrade, we checked in an hour earlier, had free breakfast every day we were there, and had a free 1 hour Balinese massage for the both of us.

The free breakfast was definitely a nice perk because we had a choice of anything on the breakfast menu and could have it either delivered to our villa as room service or to eat it in the main restaurant in the resort, Ayung Terrace. We got in-villa dining for 2 breakfasts and dined in the restaurant for 1 morning. They probably overprice breakfast significantly because most people probably book a package with breakfast included, but the sticker price for each person for breakfast is $35-45 USD per person per breakfast.

The 1 hour massage was heavenly. Even though at booking they knew it was a complimentary massage, we were treated as if we paid full price for it. The massage was way better than either of the two massages we had (one 4 hand massage in Ubud and a regular Balinese massage in Seminyak from highly rated places on tripadvisor).

Overall, we felt the FHR perks were great despite our short stay and we look forward to using FHR again. The only drawback was that they still charged $10 per day for internet.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:47 am

Peninsula Beverly Hills

Somewhat disappointed in this hotel. I loved the Peninsulas in HK and NYC but this just wasn't in the same category.

Paid $605/night FHR rate for a Patio Deluxe King. Rate was lower than I found anywhere else.

No upgrade at check-in and lack of upgrade wasn't mentioned. Unlike the Peninsula NYC, where my years-previous stay at the HK property was mentioned and my preferences noted from that previous stay, I was treated like a first-timer here.

FHR pamphlet was handed to me and front desk person asked if I had any questions about FHR benefits. I asked about how the breakfast credit works and was told it's a $45/night credit toward breakfast anywhere in the hotel. Not very generous, and would not cover a basic Continental breakfast for 2, which is supposed to be the minimum FHR benefit.

The Guest Relations Manager walked us to our room. What I had failed to consider is that this is not a non-smoking hotel, plus of course the patio rooms would be popular with smokers. So the room reeked of smoke that had been masked with a heavy air freshener. Yuck. I said something two seconds after walking through the door. The manager responded in a rather hostile tone, "I don't have a higher category room to put you in. I can only put you in another room like this." Her tone made it clear she thought I was angling for an upgrade, which I wasn't (though of course one would have been welcome). My husband dislikes conflict and started saying he couldn't smell anything, so I dropped it, but I was not happy. The smell was bad and I ended up calling Housekeeping and having them run an ionizer in the room all day while we were gone.

Be aware that the $100 spa credit will not cover any spa service in full. I booked the White Chocolate pedicure. Peninsula website lists the price as $100 but I was charged $135 (plus tip, of course). Supposed to be a 75-minute experience - I was out of there in 45. It was really nothing special at all. I've had much better pedicures elsewhere.

Service throughout the hotel was generally good, but not great. For example, were constantly asked our name, yet after 4 nights no one managed to remember it, ever. (It's not a tough one.)

We really enjoyed breakfasts on the roof terrace, and spent an enjoyable afternoon in one of the pool cabanas. Service up there was very good. We also enjoyed the lobby bar. Great people-watching and the drinks and snacks were excellent.

I had several very pleasant interactions with other guests, many of whom were regulars, so maybe I should give this one another try, but I definitely wasn't wowed.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:06 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Peninsula BH rarely upgrades out of patio rooms because the next few categories don't have outdoor spaces or a balcony. Most people who book patio really want the patio rooms. Also, the breakfast credit should be per person per day as far as I recall
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Shangri la Sydney

I stayed at the Shangri la Sydney mid-February.

Booked Horizon Club opera view. I needed an extra-early check-in since my flight arrived in the morning. Upon check-in I was recognized as an FHR guest and got explanation of benefits. Upgraded to a junior suite on the 34th floor (highest floor with "regular" rooms I was notified). Pretty good considering I was checking in at 10am. Breakfast was already complimentary with the club room. I had it in the restaurant rather than the club due to a far better selection, this was a great buffet. Used (part of) the F&B credit on the bar on 36th floor. Views from the room, club, and 36th floor bar were awesome. Needed and easily got late check-out.

All-in-all it was a very good hotel which delivered on the FHR benefits and I would come back again.

Side story: after leaving I realized that I forgot my tablet in the room. I already left Sydney. They did find it quickly, but getting it mailed was a big hassle. It's mostly I think due to it being an Asian hotel and having Asians rather than Australians answer the phone. It was hard to communicate, and each time I called I got promises that something would be done and then in my next call there would be no record of such promises. But once I got to speak to managers (which spoke perfect Australian) it got resolved quickly and they didn't charge for the mailing, I guess as a courtesy for all the hassle. So in the end I got my tablet and got a satisfying resolution, but as a warning, if you have any moderately difficult requests to ask on the phone, make sure to ask for the manager.

Last edited by apk123; Apr 8, 2013 at 4:16 pm
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by ABG
Peninsula BH rarely upgrades out of patio rooms because the next few categories don't have outdoor spaces or a balcony. Most people who book patio really want the patio rooms.
Good to know. What I actually wanted was a room that didn't smell like smoke. Booking a patio room was a dumb idea on my part (I thought it might be nice to sit outside and read) since apparently it's mainly smokers who book those. I just won't book patio or anything that upgrades to patio if I stay there again.

Originally Posted by ABG
Also, the breakfast credit should be per person per day as far as I recall
Maybe she meant per person, but that's not what she said.

I just took a closer look at our hotel bill. We had breakfast at the hotel on 4 mornings. We had a charge of $40.40 for "breakfast overage" the first morning. I don't believe that could be on top of a $90 credit. I seriously doubt we spent over $130 for breakfast!

Besides the above, one day there was no breakfast charge, one day we were charged $11.33 and one day we have a charge noted as "gratuity" for $9.

So it beats me what the credit was. Apparently they covered more than I thought, though.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Four Seasons Palm Beach, FL, USA
My folks stayed here recently (as additional Plat cardholders on my Plat card so entitled to FHR bookings).

They were very impressed with the hotel - excellent helpful attitude from the staff and lots of nice little touches. They received:

- an upgrade from ocean view to premier ocean view
- daily breakfast allowance of $45/room/day - said it was very nice spread (although I think they ended up paying a small overage each day)
- $100 f&b credit
- some champagne & chocolate strawberries on arrival (although this may also have been as it was a special occasion!)
- late check-out offered and used
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: OZ, AA, Hyatt, Marriott, SPG
St. Regis Bangkok

Upgraded to Grand Deluxe room.
Breakfast buffet at VIU restaurant.
None of the FHR benefits explained.
$100 spa credit not enough for a 1 hour foot massage.
Nice hotel with good service.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: OZ, AA, Hyatt, Marriott, SPG
Ritz Carlton Seoul

Upgraded to Premier Suite.
Check in processed in room.
FHR benefits explained on a letter.
Welcome card with bowl of fruit welcoming me back to the hotel.
$100 food credit not usable at Japanese restaurant and Ritz bar.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:52 am

Leela Palace New Delhi

Stayed two nights in April using FHR.

Booked the lowest category room and was upgraded one level.

Continental breakfast was complimentary and was absolutely fantastic. I have never seen a continental breakfast with such variety including a made-to-order egg/omelette bar.

$100 property credit was applied directly to my bill. If we had not had dinner one night I would have received $100 off of the room bill.

Early check in at noon went flawlessly. Did not need or request 4pm checkout.

Overall, an excellent stay and one of the best values in New Delhi when comparing rooms/amenities and price. Everything was clean, modern (only built two years ago), and well appointed. Staff was extremely courteous and helpful (even gave me the cell phone of the manager in case I need anything). If you are looking for a luxury American/European hotel experience in New Delhi this is the best option.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
FS Philadelphia

One night stay, checked in at noon and out at 4pm the next day.
Hotel 99% full so no upgrade
$80 breakfast credit was more than enough and I even tagged on a couple Mimosas
$100 F&B credit covered dinner and several drinks at the bar.

Not the greatest FS, but at $249 worth the price. Even without an upgrade, FHR is awesome on a one night stay.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:59 pm

Ritz Key Biscayne

I have an upcoming FHR honeymoon reservation at Ritz Key Biscayne. I called the property today to inquire about something different and the representative then checked my reservation. He mentioned FHR appears on the reservation, rattled off some benefits, but made no mention of the room upgrade. I asked about an upgrade and he said that I will not receive one because I am not a Marriott Rewards Gold or or Platinum member. I called back later and a different Ritz rep said the same thing. I guess I'll now call Amex and bug some different people. Very disappointing because I would have booked the better room had I known the upgrade would be so difficult to receive.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:37 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by bwhitta
I asked about an upgrade and he said that I will not receive one because I am not a Marriott Rewards Gold or or Platinum member.
I've been using the FHR program for about five years now, and in my experience, RC tends to be the stingiest with upgrades. The only RC I have ever received an upgrade at when booking through FHR was at the RC Tokyo, and I attribute that to the Japanese service culture of operating very by the book (i.e. they pre-blocked an upgrade b/c it's part of the FHR contract). On the other hand, I have always received a one-category upgrade at Park Hyatts.... unfortunately, there are so few of them.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:56 pm

Red face

I have an upcoming FHR honeymoon reservation at Ritz Key Biscayne. I called the property today to inquire about something different and the representative then checked my reservation. He mentioned FHR appears on the reservation, rattled off some benefits, but made no mention of the room upgrade. I asked about an upgrade and he said that I will not receive one because I am not a Marriott Rewards Gold or or Platinum member. I called back later and a different Ritz rep said the same thing. I guess I'll now call Amex and bug some different people. Very disappointing because I would have booked the better room had I known the upgrade would be so difficult to receive.
How can they say no upgrade because of no Marriott status for FHR booking ?
They just refused the upgrade without even checking / trying, IMHO this clearly against FHR rule where there is "upgrade if available" per contract.

At least they should have the courtesy to say "we'd have been delighted to upgrade you to our Presidential penthouse suite with unlimited flow of dom and one pound of caviar daily PP but we're unfortunately full blablabla"" hihihi
Old May 3, 2013, 5:32 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I have an upcoming FHR honeymoon reservation... he said that I will not receive one because I am not a Marriott Rewards Gold or or Platinum member.
Perhaps they thought you were asking for an upgrade at time of booking (i.e. guaranteed now), rather than an upgrade if available on the day of arrival?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.