Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mia
Perhaps they thought you were asking for an upgrade at time of booking (i.e. guaranteed now), rather than an upgrade if available on the day of arrival?
Yeah I always get an upgrade at time of booking with RC's.
Old May 4, 2013, 1:19 am

Grand Hyatt - Kauai

Booked a garden view room and was upgraded to a partial ocean view room. I believe that the front desk agent said that it was a double upgrade. $100 was good for any room charge and free breakfast in the morning. Everything was given as expected.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: CX MPC, SPG Gold, Marriott Rewards
Ritz Carlton Millenia Singapore

Took advantage of the 1 night free for a 3 nights stay special offer.
Booked Deluxe Room, upgraded to Deluxe Room with Marina Bay View
Amenities:
  • Breakfast for 2 at the Greenhouse
  • Guaranteed late check out at 4 pm

The special benefit was an afternoon tea at the Chihuly Lounge but apparently they were fully booked throughout the week. The assistant manager managed to squeeze us in due to a last-minute cancellation, but she advised us to make a reservation for the afternoon tea as early as possible next time.

Overall, my family and I had a wonderful stay at the Ritz Carlton Singapore. Service and hospitality is top notch over here.

Please note that RC Singapore does not participate in Marriott Rewards.
Old May 6, 2013, 7:25 pm

Four Seasons Baltimore

Early check in at 12nn without a problem
FHR benefits explained without prompting and included
- one category upgrade (5th Floor Terrace View Room to 8th Floor City View Room with partial Harbor View)
- spa credit of $100 which we didn't have time to use
- breakfast credit, which was mentioned as "full breakfast is included" at the restaurant. I asked for more details and explained I was planning to use In Room Dining, and was told no problem and the credit was $90 per family
- 4pm checkout, which they were happy to give but we didn't use due to morning flight the following day

Our 5 yr old daughter was greeted by name and received a little soft toy at check in.

We had an excellent In Room Dining experience. Prices were very reasonable and it was a bit of a struggle to order $90 worth of breakfast for the 3 of us. Everything was included - tax, gratuity, etc. and was not reflected on our bill.

The hotel itself is new and very nice. Staff was pleasant and enthusiastic.

Paid $289. Upgrade to room listed as $299. I thought it was great value for one night, with $190 back in credits, although we did not have time to use the spa treatments.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:53 pm

U.S. Grant - San Diego

Offered:
  • Early Check In
  • Late Check Out
  • $100 Dining Credit
  • Breakfast ($40 per person, per day)

The US Grant is a Starwood Luxury Collection property. Great location on the edge of the Gaslamp quarter, walkable to there, Little Italy, the Harbor area, etc.

Received a letter at check-in outlining our benefits. We checked in very late (midnight) and out early (9am) to catch a flight, but the benefits were offered. Early Check-In was declined via email.

The breakfast benefit is $40 per person, per day. Probably per adult, since we had our daughter with us (who is almost 1) but the daily credit was $80. Still enough for all 3 of us to have anything on the menu plus morning drinks for the adults. On 3 out of the 4 days, the credit also covered a decent ($20) tip. The letter excluded tax and tip, but in reality, the whole restaurant bill gets credited. You can also use it for room service. Anything before 11am is considered breakfast.

We didn't use the $100 dining credit. We were going to for brunch, but we met up with my inlaws somewhere else instead. You can, however, use that credit on the mini bar, at the restaurant, or on room service. Overall, the US Grant is very flexible with its FHR credits.

We did not receive a room upgrade. We were booked into a Legacy Suite (more on that below) and the larger suites were booked up. I didn't even ask, they provided that information as part of the FHR overview. I did verify that the other suites were sold out, so it wasn't a reluctance to upgrade.

Overall, this is a great hotel and probably the best option if you're staying downtown (as opposed to North County, where the Park Hyatt Aviara looks very nice). We booked a Legacy Suite over a Grand Deluxe Room for about $30 a night more. I'd probably take the Grand Deluxe next time, as they're all on the top floor and generally at least as large or larger than the Legacy Suite. The LS is a little narrow and there's a lot of furniture, but still a nice room. However, the bathroom is roughly square, smallish, and without counter space - the bowl sink takes up the entire vanity top. The bellman who came up with our crib told us a little bit about the history of the hotel, and it used to have many more rooms - the Legacy Suite seems to be two rooms consolidated and in the corners of the building. Enough on that, though. Aesthetically, the rooms are really wonderful. Clean, not even a ding in any of the paint or woodwork. Great beds (possibly the Heavenly from the W). We'd definitely stay again.
Old May 24, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC*75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum Elite, All Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
St. Regis Bal Harbour

Stayed at the St. Regis Bal Harbour for 3 nights. Amazing hotel if you want to be taken care of. They really try to make things great for you there.

Checked in around 1:30PM and our two rooms were made ready. FHR and Centurion benefits described with a typed letter:

1. Late check-out offered but not required.
2. $82 or $84 (can't remember now!) total breakfast credit which was enough to cover the buffet in Atlantico or have breakfast in the room as Private Dining.
3. $100 Spa credit for massage only (not for any other services) not used
4. $200 Centurion F/B credit per room
5. Nice little welcome plate of macaroons and a personalized card enjoyed by the wife.
6. Upgrade for Centurion at time of booking but none additional offered at check-in nor requested since we wanted adjoining rooms.

Expensive hotel but felt pampered.

Last edited by makemoretospendmore; May 24, 2013 at 3:16 pm Reason: left out info about upgrade!
Old May 25, 2013, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by makemoretospendmore
Stayed at the St. Regis Bal Harbour for 3 nights. Amazing hotel if you want to be taken care of. They really try to make things great for you there.

Checked in around 1:30PM and our two rooms were made ready. FHR and Centurion benefits described with a typed letter:

1. Late check-out offered but not required.
2. $82 or $84 (can't remember now!) total breakfast credit which was enough to cover the buffet in Atlantico or have breakfast in the room as Private Dining.
3. $100 Spa credit for massage only (not for any other services) not used
4. $200 Centurion F/B credit per room
5. Nice little welcome plate of macaroons and a personalized card enjoyed by the wife.
6. Upgrade for Centurion at time of booking but none additional offered at check-in nor requested since we wanted adjoining rooms.

Expensive hotel but felt pampered.
Is $200 F/B the standard Centurion FHR benefit? That's pretty good, a few hotel stays would eat into the annual fee. I know that with Platinum, my last FHR stay practically paid for my AF.
Old May 26, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Is $200 F/B the standard Centurion FHR benefit? That's pretty good, a few hotel stays would eat into the annual fee. I know that with Platinum, my last FHR stay practically paid for my AF.
It's standard at many hotels including all the St. Regis's I believe. You get....

Noon Check-In
Room Upgrade at time of reservation
Daily breakfast for two people
Additional special amenity such as complimentary US $100 food & beverage credit or massage for two people
Check out as late as 6:00 PM
PLUS, an additional Centurion benefit such as a $200 food and beverage credit

So yes it is definitely worth it if you stay at FHR hotels often enough. It's worth it also for other benefits, but it depends on your travel patterns. It's not for everyone.
Old May 26, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: AC*75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum Elite, All Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
It's standard at many hotels including all the St. Regis's I believe. You get....

Noon Check-In
Room Upgrade at time of reservation
Daily breakfast for two people
Additional special amenity such as complimentary US $100 food & beverage credit or massage for two people
Check out as late as 6:00 PM
PLUS, an additional Centurion benefit such as a $200 food and beverage credit

So yes it is definitely worth it if you stay at FHR hotels often enough. It's worth it also for other benefits, but it depends on your travel patterns. It's not for everyone.
The $200 is a Cent benefit at the St. Regis for a min of 2 nights and is applicable PER room. With a group of 4 it is better to get two rooms that adjoin for double the credit than to take one suite!
Old May 28, 2013, 12:30 pm

Fairmont Chateau Whistler

Booked 2 cheapest rooms($199), got upgraded to deluxe rooms, 1 with a slopeside view ($30 upgrade if I had to buy it), all amenities were provided, $100 F&B, buffet breakfast, late checkout.

It was a great 1 night stay for the price we paid for the 2 rooms.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:38 am

Four Seasons Los Angeles at Beverly Hills

We stayed for 3 nights (3rd night complimentary) at the FS Los Angeles at Beverly Hills. We booked a Deluxe Room and were upgraded to a Premier Room, but it wasn't yet available at our early check-in time. They offered an upgrade to an Executive Suite for an extra $100 per night (charged for just the first two nights), which we took. The room was decent, with a comfortable, large living room that made it easy to have in-room breakfast (daily credit was $57).

Food was great based on what we had for room service breakfast, and lunch was quite good at Culina. My SO also used the spa credit, and while the treatment was fine, she stated that the facilities were worse than expected. As an older but well-kept hotel, my only other gripe was that the bathroom layout felt a bit cramped. Overall, however, service was great and our stay went very well.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:48 am

The Grand Del Mar in San Diego

We stayed for 4 nights (4th night complimentary) at the Grand Del Mar in San Diego. We booked a Fairway View Room, which is what we received. No mention was made of any upgrades, but the next level up would have been a suite at nearly twice the nightly rate. The 'regular' room was already excellent, and we were very happy with the view and the large bathroom layout.

Food at the resort was excellent, and we took advantage of the $54 breakfast credit at both the on-site restaurant, Amaya, and through in-room dining. Service everywhere on the resort was superb, and my SO thought the spa facilities were excellent. Food prices were also reasonable, so we never felt cheated if we were too tired to leave the resort. Complimentary waters and beach supplies were offered when valeting our car, which we appreciated. Overall, a truly excellent stay and one of our favorite hotels in recent memory.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:11 pm

Cool London West Hollywood

American Express FINE HOTELS & RESORTS
Platinum
The London West Hollywood, West Hollywood California

^ Booked one night here and upon check-in received a note about the $100 food/bev credit that could be used anywhere throughout the property (rooftop/pool, in-room dining or Gordon Ramsay Restaurant).

Breakfast is included with all rooms here, so didn't really get any FHR benefit there. But breakfast was fairly good.

^ Service at breakfast/in the restaurant in general was good, at the pool it was less than good. They were courteous, but you had to flag them down or go over to the bar where they were all congregating.

Did not automatically give a room upgrade and after I inquired about it, they mentioned they don't upgrade my room. They (rep and front desk manager) did however offer the available upgraded room to me for a couple hundred dollars. I declined. Seems a little against the FHR policy of "upgrade if available."? (This was an off-night, evening check-in). So, no FHR benefit here either. Wish I would have known before booking this stay. That being said, rooms feature nice decor and are generally good.

^ Valet/bell service was generally good and everyone seemed courteous enough. Front desk credited the $100 without issue.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by RedRox
Did not automatically give a room upgrade and after I inquired about it, they mentioned they don't upgrade my room. They (rep and front desk manager) did however offer the available upgraded room to me for a couple hundred dollars. I declined. Seems a little against the FHR policy of "upgrade if available."? (This was an off-night, evening check-in). So, no FHR benefit here either.
Not acceptable for them to do this! I would strongly recommend reporting your experience to FHR here: http://www.rateyourfhrstay.com
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: VS, BA, AA, IHG, HH, SPG
Park Hyatt Tokyo

One night stay, so really wanted to use, and received the 12am checkin and 4pm check out.
Breakfast for 2 was free, and we spent just under $100 on room service with no problems.
$100 f+b voucher was also deducted from the bill.
Unfortunately no upgrade, was told hotel at capacity, although am always suspicious ^
Amazing hotel by the way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.