Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:58 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

Happy New Year. For previous reports see the older thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...06-2012-a.html

Last edited by mia; Jan 9, 2013 at 8:23 am
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013

Apologies if this has been discussed already.....

Has anyone noticed that before on the AMEX FHR web site it used to say "daily continental breakfast for two people" but now the word "continental" has been omitted?

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...0.06.48-PM.png

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...enefits.27443/

https://www.americanexpressfhr.com/s...RT::SWF#main=1
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:33 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by francophile
Has anyone noticed that before on the AMEX FHR web site it used to say "daily continental breakfast for two people" but now the word "continental" has been omitted?

https://www.americanexpressfhr.com/s...RT::SWF#main=1
Click the link to the Terms & Conditions for clarification that the benefit varies, but the property may elect to offer on a Continental breakfast.

Breakfast amenity varies by property, but will be at minimum a continental breakfast.

Last edited by mia; Jan 1, 2013 at 9:33 am
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: CX MPC, SPG Gold, Marriott Rewards
Ritz Carlton Pacific Place, Jakarta

Booked an Executive Grand Club Room, and receive the following benefits:
1. upgrade to Mayfair Suite, despite the hotel being fully-booked
2. Daily breakfast (this is standard benefit for the club room)
3. Early check-in at 1 pm
4. Late check-out at 4 pm
5. Complimentary dinner for 2 people. Managed to change this to a complimentary lunch and was given a choice of set menu or buffet lunch.

Everyone in the hotel was very accommodating and very friendly. The only downside of this stay was the facilities in the room. The thermostat in the shower no longer works, so there was no way of changing the water temperature.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion
Originally Posted by nba1017
Let's see:

The American Club - Upgrade to Immersion Suite from standard room. Further upgrade to Presidential Suite for a very nominal $200. F&B credit a $100 deduction from the bill, breakfast technically only in restaurant but I had no problem ordering room service.

Ritz Carlton Georgetown: Upgrade to one-bedroom suite confirmed prior to arrival. Same deal with F&B and breakfast. Service, as usual, was exemplary.
Headed to the American Club in a few days. I usually book at Club King and end up with the Governors Suite. $100 dining credit & breakfast in the Immigrant Restaurant. I only stay in the carriage house, otherwise there is no point in the American Club to me.
My latest booking was $229 which was $10 less than the web price.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:17 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by mia
Click the link to the Terms & Conditions for clarification that the benefit varies, but the property may elect to offer on a Continental breakfast.
It's interesting that they chose to modify the breakfast description this year, although it certainly is in line with real world experiences where some properties either offer a full breakfast buffet or don't have a continental option but offer a set dollar amount that allows you to order from an a la carte menu.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Fairmont Chateau Frontenac - Quebec City

Booked 3 nights - 2 FHR and a free night cert and received the following all of which were explained to me at check-in:
  • Upgrade to deluxe room that had both a river and old city view. All suites were sold out.
  • $100 FB credit
  • Free full buffet breakfast including the 3 night using the free night cert ($60 per day value)
  • Late checkout (not used)

All in all definitely worth it given the FHR rate was slightly cheaper than their cheapest prepaid rate on the Fairmont website. It should be noted that I had to have the $100 FB credit manually applied to the bill at checkout, but wasn't a big deal
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:02 pm

hyatt indian wells

Stayed dec 30-jan 1 for a fast new years trip. Booked for 279 a night, online hyatt was offering for 269 when I booked and closer to went to 249 with free breakfast. I didn't bother calling amex to book at a lower rate (if theirs had gone down too).

Checked in around 3pm. Asked about upgrade and they said the hotel was fully booked, which I found odd as I went online earlier and there was full availibility. I asked about upgrading to a villa and that I was willing to pay. Then of course there was availability. Online the room I wanted was 399, however when I asked to pay to upgrade the price was 300 per night for upgrade. I tried to understand how the 120 difference form what I paid to the new room turned into 300, staff was very rude.

I went up and dropped off my bags and went online. All rooms still showed available on hyatt website and kayak, ect. I went down to speak to a manager. I was told again they were sold out, when I showed them there were rooms available I was told those were only for paying customers not to upgrade people to. At this point I was more than frustrated. I asked if in lue of the lunch/dinner credit I could simply get the internet and parking waived. I should mention that this hotel charges a 25 resort fee and still charges 10 for internet and 15 for parking per day!!

I was told that they could not do things like that and I would have to use the credit or loose it.

Upon checkout I enquired why I was charged for breakfast. I was told I had ordered too much. So an order of fruit, toast and eggs split between 2 people is too much. I was informed only one item per person.

I can't begin to say how angry I was and will never be back at this hotel.

I usually stay at the la quinta resort and have always been upgraded to suites , and have friendly staff. Wanted to try somewhere new and was having new years closer to this hotel.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:35 am

Did you call AMEX and report this?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by sachs1999
I can't begin to say how angry I was and will never be back at this hotel.

I usually stay at the la quinta resort and have always been upgraded to suites , and have friendly staff. Wanted to try somewhere new and was having new years closer to this hotel.
This is unbelievable!?!?

I would have been pissed.

I have made a note to avoid this place like the plague when I'm in the area for a couple weeks in May.

Please notify Amex when you have the time.

What a joke
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:29 pm

I was truely disgusted. Taking all this out even the hotel is so far below what I would expect. They did a lipstick renovation. The insides of the rooms still had 20 year old doors and the walls are paper thin. I have called amex and let them know. They apologized, not much they can do but wanted to get it off my chest.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA MP
Upgrade Tokyo Peninsula

New FHR member and I'm wondering if the potential upgrade is applicable room->suite or only room->room and suite->suite

For instance, at the Peninsula in Tokyo, if I book a Grand Deluxe Room (most $$ room), is there a possibility of that upgrading to an Executive Suite (least $$ suite) upon checkin?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:18 am

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
With the Peninsula, its upgraded at time of booking I believe. Therefore you can never book the lowest category of room, since its already been upgraded to the second lowest category but with the lowest category price.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Four Seasons Houston

- FHR acknowledged at check-in
- Personalized (but poorly formatted) letter provided outlining FHR benefits
- Upgraded from a Superior room to an Executive Suite (had to ask and the friendly agent waived the $60 upcharge)
- In-room amenity: None (first FHR out of 3 that hasn't provided; I know, it's not a hard benefit)
- $85 dinner credit at Quattro
- $44 continental breakfast credit (lame compared to other FHR hotels)
- Late check out 4:00PM

Cost: $179/night + 17% Taxes

Caution: Continental breakfast is only available until 10:30AM on Sundays; otherwise it's a $55/person buffet brunch (which is amazing, but pricey)
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:21 am

Didnt want to start a thread for basic question:
Thinking of booking Ritz Carlton through FHR, can i still receive marriot points as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.