Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: CX MPC, SPG Gold, Marriott Rewards
The London at West Hollywood

Took advantage of the 1 night free for a 4 nights stay.
Booked two Vista Suites, received Vista Suites (although the receptionist claimed that this is already an upgrade), but I'm happy that our request to have the rooms connected with each other was granted. So no complaints there.

Daily breakfast is included for all suites, so nothing special here. I inquired and was told that I am unable to substitute the daily breakfast buffet with something from the a la carte menu.

4pm late checkout is offered and we accepted.

Was given $100 F&B credit

Overall, I think the biggest value would be from the 1 night free promotion, not so much on either the upgrades or the breakfast benefit
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:35 pm

Park Hyatt Aviara

$100 Resort Credit for incidental charges
Full American Breakfast Buffet for two in the California Bistro (Sunday is at Italian Restaurant instead)
Room category upgrade
Old Jun 30, 2013, 5:59 pm

Ritz-Carlton Battery Park, NYC

We returned here for 2 nights and 2 rooms, and unfortunately had a terrible experience at check out. As the benefit for this hotel is listed as a "$100 property credit," we decided to valet our car for $60/night and specifically avoided using the credit for other things, believing that the $100 credit would be deducted against the $120 total valet charge. Upon checkout, the front desk attendant insisted that they do not allow the $100 property credit to be used for valet parking because they "were losing money on parking" and that they used a "3rd party parking service" so it did not count.

We were in disbelief since we had just stayed there in February and March and had used the credit for parking without issue. Furthermore, the valet parking is a room charge on our room receipt made by the Ritz-Carlton to our Amex, with a Ritz-Carlton staff member driving our car and handing us a Ritz-Carlton-branded valet receipt when we dropped it off. The $100 property credit also had (and continues to have) no mention of any limitations during check-in, booking, or on the FHR website, and when pressed, the front desk attendant stated that it was limited only to things like food. He also stated that the policy had always been this way, but when we stated that we had just recently stayed at the hotel twice this year already, last in March, he changed his story and said that the policy had "just changed last month."

To make matters worse, he was very rude throughout the process and made sarcastic comments when we requested to speak to a manager about this. Claiming that he was the only manager to speak to (apparently he was the front-desk manager working the shift at the time), he stated that he would be happy to give us the number to Ritz-Carlton's corporate line to complain as well as the "phone number for a jail." By this point we were infuriated and would've continued to dispute the matter in-person, but we had to leave to return home by a certain time.

We'll likely dispute the $100 credit with American Express and/or Ritz-Carlton. We have never dealt with a hotel representative as appalling and disrespectful as the person we spoke with today.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by alphabetsoup
We returned here for 2 nights and 2 rooms, and unfortunately had a terrible experience at check out. As the benefit for this hotel is listed as a "$100 property credit," we decided to valet our car for $60/night and specifically avoided using the credit for other things, believing that the $100 credit would be deducted against the $120 total valet charge. Upon checkout, the front desk attendant insisted that they do not allow the $100 property credit to be used for valet parking because they "were losing money on parking" and that they used a "3rd party parking service" so it did not count.
Sorry to say this, but I think you are in the wrong here. You should never assume how a program works, especially when it comes to money. There are always rules and exceptions if you read the fine print. The most often exception is that the credit does not include tips. At some hotels it may say "alcohol not included". And at most all hotels, 3rd party services such as valet isn't included. At some hotels that may be the health club or beauty salon as well. Always check first.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:28 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
Sorry to say this, but I think you are in the wrong here. You should never assume how a program works, especially when it comes to money. There are always rules and exceptions if you read the fine print. The most often exception is that the credit does not include tips. At some hotels it may say "alcohol not included". And at most all hotels, 3rd party services such as valet isn't included. At some hotels that may be the health club or beauty salon as well. Always check first.
I would normally agree with you stimpy, but seeing as how they had used the credit for the exact same thing at the same hotel only a few months prior to this incident, I have to side with alphabetsoup on this one.

It sounds like the hotel capriciously changed their policies and neglected to tell anyone. I would definitely dispute the charge.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by YtravelF
I would normally agree with you stimpy, but seeing as how they had used the credit for the exact same thing at the same hotel only a few months prior to this incident, I have to side with alphabetsoup on this one.

It sounds like the hotel capriciously changed their policies and neglected to tell anyone. I would definitely dispute the charge.
+1

That said, when I check in, I make a habit of asking very explicitly how the various FHR credits will work. (Where does the breakfast benefit apply? Is there a maximum value per day? etc.) It's great when they give me a letter or handout detailing everything, but about 80% of the time I have to ask for the specifics.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Four Seasons Chicago

Booked a standard city view room. Received "double upgrade" to city view
Executive Suite facing south down Michigan Avenue. A few hours later I
asked if they could move me to a standard lake view room. They moved me
to a corner suite with the same view down Michigan Ave but also the lake
view out the other window. Beautiful views. Amex was acknowledged
at checking. $56 breakfast credit and $100 F&B credit
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
The Sutton Place Vancouver
Upgraded to "renovated" apartment; spacious and comfortable.
$100 food & beverage credit applied to a meal at their lounge.
Late checkout offered but not used.
Complimentary breakfast is a little weird; they have 2 tables at their buffet and we're given access to just one of them. If we want to have hot eggs, bacon or potatoes, we're charged an extra $5. Same with coffee... if you have a regular coffee it's covered, otherwise there's a $2 for espresso/cappuccino/latte. Seems very petty.
Still, a great stay in a great room and in a very decent location. Easily the best FHR value in Vancouver.

Four Seasons Whistler
Upgraded to beautiful deluxe room.
$100 food & beverage credit applied to dinner.
The breakfast benefit is a scam. They credit $48 per day for breakfast and we're able to order anything we want. The only problem? You can't feed 2 people for $48. There's no way. 3 pancakes, 2 eggs, bacon, bread, juice and coffee was over $70. It's absolutely criminal.
Still, one of the nicest properties I've ever stayed at... Highly recommended.

Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
If it wasn't for this property's location, I'd suggest everyone stay away.
Received an "upgrade" to a "deluxe" corner lake view room complete with a burnt bathroom light, a sink that doesn't drain, a stained comforter and a window that wouldn't stay closed. Completely unacceptable, but no one seemed to care. At least the burnt light was replaced promptly, but the maintenance worker left a mess behind in the sink and on the countertop.
Free 3-course dinner or lunch was available to us at one of two restaurants and the food / service was great.
Breakfast was free even though they initially charged us for it; no problem getting it removed from the bill.
Interestingly, self-parking is free for Amex FHR guests but valet parking costs $35. It would've been nice to know this ahead of time!
Beautiful location and generally friendly staff, but unless you absolutely want to stay on the lake, stay somewhere else. We won't be returning.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
The Sutton Place Vancouver
Upgraded to "renovated" apartment; spacious and comfortable.
$100 food & beverage credit applied to a meal at their lounge.
Complimentary breakfast is a little weird; they have 2 tables at their buffet and we're given access to just one of them. If we want to have hot eggs, bacon or potatoes, we're charged an extra $5. Same with coffee... if you have a regular coffee it's covered, otherwise there's a $2 for espresso/cappuccino/latte. Seems very petty.
Still, a great stay in a great room and in a very decent location. Easily the best FHR value in Vancouver.
Glad to read you had a decent stay here. I have this hotel booked for three nights in September. How was the food at the lounge? We've been debating as to how to use the $100 credit.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, Delta Platinum, US Air Platinum, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
St Regis Bal Barbour

Booked Deluxe room - Upgraded to Gran Deluxe Jr Suite at booking(Centurion)
Further upgraded to Grand Deluxe Oceanfront Suite prior to checkin.- Upgrade appeared on my spy account the day before.

$100.00 spa credit - Only good for massage at the spa
$200.00 food or spa credit
$84.00 per day for breakfast room service or restaurant

Wonderful hotel and stay.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SuperDudley
Glad to read you had a decent stay here. I have this hotel booked for three nights in September. How was the food at the lounge? We've been debating as to how to use the $100 credit.
Food was tasty but there wasn't much of a selection. We got back from an organized day trip in Victoria (organized by Land Sea Tours and highly recommended) and were famished so anything they put in front of us would've satisfied us. I had the halibut and the Mrs had buttered chicken -- both quite good.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:16 pm

Fairmont Waterfront Vancouver

$100 food/beverage credit - Used for a very nice dinner at the hotel restaurant, Heron's. Great food though I would have never paid the $~35 for a steak (poor student, etc etc). The bread was probably some the best I've ever had -- the waitress happily brought 3rds and 4ths of it (no cost) which I greatly appreciated. Dinner came to $90 with tip. The continental breakfast is pretty poor; however it can be upgraded or subsituted. It's worth $20 and a full buffet is $30, so that would only cost $10 to upgrade to something much better. I'd say it's worth it.

Room Upgrades - Booked Partial harbour room, upgraded to Signature harbor view king. Very nice room and enjoyed it a lot, great views.

Checked out at 4 pm sharp no problem, with stay credit granted. All in all a great experience.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
Mumbai Hotels

Has anyone had any recent experiences at either of the three Mumbai FHR Hotels. I was trying to compare the benefits between the Taj Palace and the Oberoi, both state a free dinner. Anyone know what to expect? Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Spymon
Has anyone had any recent experiences at either of the three Mumbai FHR Hotels. I was trying to compare the benefits between the Taj Palace and the Oberoi, both state a free dinner. Anyone know what to expect? Thanks.
As someone who was born in Bombay and spent the first 24 years of my life there, I'd say just go for the Taj. It's an institution that never disappoints.

That said, I have eaten at the Zodiac Grill, the Rendezvous (roof-top) and the ground floor "Shamiana" coffee shop and they all have been amazing - quality of food and service.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Spymon
I've stayed at the Taj, and had dinner at the Oberoi and both were a great experience and pleasure. I will agree with crazyhorse though, the Taj is a national treasure of India and I would stay there. The service is amazingly good. But if you have a chance, also try to have dinner at the Oberoi. It's a relatively short drive away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.