Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
Ali'i Tower, Hilton Hawaiian Village.

http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com...tes/alii-tower

Booked Resort View and was upgraded to Ocean View pre-check in. View was very good, but on a low floor (5th out 15). Room was large but basic. Amenities also were not high quality (house brand?).

Welcome gifts: Box of chocolate covered Macadamia nuts (did not open) and two bottles of Aloe "after sun" gel (also did not open).

$100 food credit for only 3 on site restaurants, but one of the restaurants (steak house) was undergoing reno, so only 2 sites available. However one of the sites was breakfast only. That left just the bar at the Ali'i tower for dinner. Food was passable, but not fine dining in my opinion.

Breakfast voucher says "american breakfast" but the waitress said order anything you want.

Not a bad property but there is a strange Disney World vibe going on at the Hilton Village that might put off some people.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Royal Hawaiian Waikiki

Booked an ocean view tower room and that is what I received, no upgrade was offered although I don't know if there is a higher category to upgrade into at this place. 4pm checkout was mentioned at check-in as a guaranteed benefit, a benefit I put to good use! I received 2 breakfasts daily at their restaurant by the beach. It was a set menu, choose coffee or tea plus juice or fruit plus a choice of around 10 different main courses, a very good breakfast in a great location. I also received $100 in credit to be used on food or at their spa, I used it at the mai tai bar. Alcohol is not allowed to be credited so it needed to be food.

This is my favorite place in Waikiki so I can't complain. Stated benefits were followed and the hotel's service was casual but very good. Wouldn't stay elsewhere in Waikiki.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:22 am

W Time Square, NY

Believe it has been already reviewed here and not much has changed
- 4 pm late check offered at check in and partially used until 2 pm
- Upgrade from basic to spectacular room (not that spectacular )
- Breakfast via room service only and can't be more continental than that : juice, coffee, and 2 small pastries (however the tea was good, can't remember the brand, bit it's a pyramid box with a leaf at the top) . If don't give extra tips you have nothing to pay as gratuities is included . You need to hang a special " FHR basic breakfast menu" at your door that they give you at check in
- USD 100 F&B is only at "Blue fin" restaurant (no room service) and you have a paper certificate. Gratuities are excluded
Restaurant was very busy, wanted to have diner there on Friday night, called Friday pm but they were booked so had lunch on Saturday and I'm glad that I booked even for lunch

The room is not in perfect condition, a little old.
The location is great (unlike most people, I LOVE Time square),
True side story : I did find a taxi driver once from NJ who didn't know "Time square" nor where it's located. Believe she just started her job and also just arrived on earth
Price was similar to the other 4 stars chain hotels in the area for that night (week end of December 7th) about 450

Seems that several people were there under FHR
This is one of the cheapest FHR in NYC so a pretty good value especially for a one night stay

In this time of computer, email and other , when I asked for my bill 30 mns prior to check out (as front desk was always busy and I was happy to find it relatively empty), the front desk told me when you leave the room just .. "say hello when you pass by me" so I'll know that you checked out. I love technologies
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:11 pm

The Tides, South Beach

This hotel has changed owners a couple of times this year so I knew there would be some transition issues. My main concern was that we were arriving on an international flight at 4:30 am, and decided to gamble on early check in v. buying another night. I called the day before, and they told me I would probably get the noon check in, but couldn't make any promises about earlier. We showed up at about 6 am and they gave us our room! It was upgraded to a corner room and was lovely.

Benefits were $50 toward breakfast everyday and $100 for another meal.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Ritz - Marina Del Rey

Booked deluxe room. Upgrade mentioned but not available, however she did sort through the rooms to give me one with a nice view of the harbor. Late checkout offered but not used. $100 F&B credit which I used at Jer-Ne. Overpriced as expected but good food. Salad, steak, dessert, soda and tip was $101 for one person. Nice to have the tip included since many fhr hotels exclude the gratuity. Breakfast was $80 credit which is enough for 2 buffets, tax and tip. Breakfast buffet was so-so. Hot dishes were eggs, potatoes, bacon and sausage. Other items were meats/cheeses, pastries, fruit, bagels, cereal, salmon, etc. I've had far nicer buffets at many other hotels. Ordering off the menu is another option. Nice location convenient to LAX and Venice. I used the city bus for $1 each way instead of a taxi. Will stay here again next month. $219 for the room with dinner and breakfast benefits seems like decent value to me.

Last edited by houstr8male; Dec 18, 2013 at 11:35 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:00 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by houstr8male
Booked deluxe room. Upgrade mentioned but not available, however she did sort through the rooms to give me one with a nice view of the harbor. Late checkout offered but not used. $100 F&B credit which I used at Jer-Ne. Overpriced as expected but good food. Salad, steak, dessert, soda and tip was $101 for one person. Nice to have the tip included since many fhr hotels exclude the gratuity. Breakfast was $80 credit which is enough for 2 buffets, tax and tip. Breakfast buffet was so-so. Hot dishes were eggs, potatoes, bacon and sausage. Other items were meats/cheeses, pastries, fruit, bagels, cereal, salmon, etc. I've had far nicer buffets at many other hotels. Ordering off the menu is another option. Nice location convenient to LAX and Venice. I used the city bus for $1 each way instead of a taxi. Will stay here again next month. $219 for the room with dinner and breakfast benefits seems like decent value to me.

Wow staying at the Ritz but traveling by city bus?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Isn't that the point of this board? Frugal luxury travel

Originally Posted by xcalibir
Wow staying at the Ritz but traveling by city bus?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by houstr8male
Interesting. What bus did you take, where did you get it and where did it let you off? And how long did it take?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Jelly of the month club
Thumbs up WA Casa Marina, Key West, FL

Excellent 4 night stay here (3 days, plus 1 free with FHR). Both FHR and Hilton Gold benefits explained, and separate personalized letters given!

* Received one class upgrade to Full Ocean View Suite
* Free buffet breakfast for both of us ($54 value)
* $100 F&B credit given (not for resort charge or parking)
* 4pm checkout offered but not used as we were driving back to FLL.

I was really impressed with this hotel, the location, the grounds, the food and the service. Even better that FHR and Hilton benefits (and points credit) were stackable.

Last edited by James Fleming; Dec 18, 2013 at 8:17 pm
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by JetAway
Interesting. What bus did you take, where did you get it and where did it let you off? And how long did it take?
Took the free LAX 'C' shuttle under the blue sign, middle lane outside baggage claim, to long term parking. This is the 1st stop outside LAX. Then walk 50 yds to corner and catch the Santa Monica big blue bus #3 or R3. I believe R stands for rapid. Ask driver where to catch #3 if you are in doubt. Exited after about 15 minutes at Lincoln and Mindanao. 10 minute walk down Admiralty Way to RC. I don't mind paying $500 for a nice hotel (RC MDR is not $500) but I don't like paying for taxis. Just my preference. I have used buses and/or rail in lieu of taxis in Sydney, Perth, Barcelona, London, Chicago, Boston, NYC, Toronto, etc. I use google maps on iphone to track my progress so I can get off at the right place.

I found the LAX C shuttle to connect to city buses by looking at the LAX website. I believe there are also buses that connect to a subway station?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
FS Carmelo, Uruguay

After being told the hotel would not honor FHR, and getting Amex to intervene (see here) , I arrived not expecting much, but the hotel was very accommodating.

I booked the basic room for two nights, but the third night free. We were upgraded one level to a river view bungalow (there is only one room higher). It was very lovely.

We had complimentary breakfast every day (continental buffet). There was a short a la carta menu as well. I couldn't tell if it was on top of the continental or not and didn't ask. Continental included bacon and eggs, charcuterie and cappuccino as well basic fruit, juice, breads etc.

One Dinner was included $100 was posted limit but ours was 145 without wine or service charge (!). On check out, hotel picked up entire bill except tip.

We had dinners in town at local steak houses and even with 30 dollars in round trip taxi fares (a gouge) they were still half the price.

Hotel is beautiful, staff very attentive and helpful, although not very polished.

Out in the countryside and excellent if you are sporty - golf, tennis, spa, pool and free use of mountain bikes to roam the 100 hectares of pine forest and vineyards.

Recommended.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Thanks for posting that update, Vancouver Guy - glad they finally sorted things out and that you enjoyed the stay. Your experience of the stay itself certainly mirrors mine in that the property is great and the staff are friendly and helpful, just not totally polished!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Visa Signature, SPG Gold
Stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Atlanta over the weekend. Received a one category upgrade at check in to a terrace room. Also received $100 f&b or spa credit and $40 in room breakfast credit. Offered 4pm checkout but declined.

This is an excellent property in a prime Buckhead location. It's especially convenient to high end shopping and a great selection of restaurants.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:37 am

Late check out ?
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Not sure if I should post that under the luxury forum or here or elsewhere :

Does an hotel fulfill his FHR obligations and they asked to change room if you want a 4 pm late check out ?
Didn't happen yet but received an e-mail from Amanpuri indicating that there is a possibility of changing room if the room is not available

Received an e-mail from Banyan tree phuket :
"the benefit of fine hotel and resort can be requested until 4 pm (normally can be requested until 2 pm) and based on the availability of resort upon the check – in date"

On the other side, called Amex France 2 days ago for a one night week end stay at the Trianon Palace Versailles and they advised that now late check out is garantee and no longer on request....

Not sure to understand what's going on with the FHR late check out
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
A nice rate at the Palace Hotel (SPG) in San Francisco for Christmas week.

$143/night with all the benefits.

Booked a two night stay after the holiday.
Just completed this stay - nights of 12/26 and 12/27. The rate of $143 was a real winner as I checked a week before and the lowest available rate was $289 for the same room type.

We were thanked and acknowledged for being SPG Gold as well as booking via FHR. Offered an upgrade to next category room and higher floor. Early check-in at 12:30pm no problem. Checkout offered of 4pm, we stayed til 2pm. Offered SPG benefits or points or internet or cocktail, took points.

$100 FB credit used for dinner one night at Pied Piper. If you visit, do a little homework on the art above the bar, it's a great story.

Used the Garden Court for breakfast both mornings rather than room service, but had access to the full buffet which is plentiful. One day I ordered off the menu and had a crab omelet to supplement the buffet, up charge of $7.

This was our second time using FHR here and we'll do it again. Good value for price paid and the location is extremely convenient to BART and MUNI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.