Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by price123
Booked standard executive room for around £200 (might have been euros). This was cheaper than available through online sellers or direct.

Received upgrade to Brandenburg Deluxe Suite (12 levels I think - retails at €7500). Fantastic view, huge suite with 2 full bathrooms (steam shower, bath, double sinks, toilet), 2 vestibules and a great lounge.

Welcome amenity in suite of a bottle of white wine (on ice), a sparkling water bar (4 choices), multiple bottles of Evian, chocolate-dipped strawberries, a chocolate Brandenburg Gate on a bed of chocolate soil, large selection of dried fruit and nuts and the best fruit bowl we have ever received in Europe.

Benefits of FHR include full breakfast (will update post tomorrow with details) and complimentary National and International calls. 4 pm checkout was offered and declined at check-in but we may reconsider having seen the suite!

€85 F+B credit cannot be used on room service, so be careful. It can be used on minibar though, or in the Lobby Lounge or Quarré.

Only negative was the 1 hour wait for a room after we arrived after 3 pm. Incredibly frustrating but we understood after seeing the suite and how long it would take to prep/send up amenities.

Photos to come.
Do you have any idea why you had this great upgrade ? Just luck ? Hotel full ?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Do you have any idea why you had this great upgrade ? Just luck ? Hotel full ?
Not really. Most room types seemed to be available at check-in, although hotel reasonably busy (lots of people waiting to checkin).
We have a website and are members of the Day Spa, but is impossible to know if that influences upgrades.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:06 am

A tad late in posting, but I stayed at the Arizona Biltmore over labor day weekend. First off, got in on a third-night free promo, which was only possible because I moved the reservation to labor day instead of the following weekend. I was thoroughly surprised that I was able to book it over labor day and that it wasn't blacked out. Ended up booking on Ocatilla Club room (be sure to do this, it's worth it). You get access to the Ocatilla lounge, which is basically the Biltmore's response to a Ritz Carlton Club Lounge, with evening wine and beer, light plates, and continental breakfast, and a separate concierge. The "upgrade" at check-in got us a patio room as opposed to a higher floor with a sliding door but no balcony. If you do get a patio ocatilla room, be sure to request one that faces the ocatilla pool. The hotel was EXTREMELY generous with the breakfast credits and we had no trouble with the $100 dining credit. My partner and I used the dining credit on a great 3-course date night dinner at Frank & Albert's which has some amazing food . I had surf & turf, and he had salmon, so I gave him a bit of steak for a bit of salmon. The queso is great, not too pungent. And my favorite dessert is the butterscotch carmel pudding. To die for. Now for the breakfast credits. The first morning we were able to use them on the breakfast buffet at Frank & Albert's, which I completely wasn't expecting. normally you can use the FHR credits at whatever little continental cafe the property has. Here's the kicker. On Sunday morning, we were able to use the $40 credits on Sunday Brunch at Wright's! For $29 you had access to the chilled selections, including smoked salmon and caviar, creme brulee, duck confit, all the fruit you could eat, pastries, all the usual brunch accoutrements. For $10 more you could add on the "small plates" component where you can order unlimited "tasters" of items like pork tenderloin, lemon ricotta pancakes, and beef petite fillet. So for exactly $0 we had the most fabulous brunch either of us had ever seen. Was an excellent stay overall.

Moral of the story: explore your options at The Arizona Biltmore
Old Sep 14, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
DO & CO Hotel in Vienna

Booked a "courtyard room" and was upgraded to a city view room at check-in.
They were able to accommodate a very early check-in (i.e. 10:30am)
Breakfast was quite good -- included the usual buffet-style items, eggs-any-way-you-like-'em and coffee/tea.
Didn't use late check-out but it was offered.
The special amenity is an afternoon tea session for 2. Interestingly, there was no tea involved -- just your choice of champagne or any other cocktail. The "tea" (read booze) was served with an abundance of cheese, shrimp, olives, prociutto and dessert.
Great location, attentive staff... highly recommended.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
W Hotel Times Square

Stayed 9/14, one night. Booked cool corner room and got one on top floor. Amazing view of Times Square. I didn't inquire about an upgrade because I had coordinated with a guest services rep in advance regarding room selection. Received voucher for $100, one time use only, not including gratuity. We used that for dinner at Blue Fin. Breakfast was continental for 2, room service only. I wasn't that pleased being restriced to room service but it turned out be ok.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Rocco Forte Villa Kennedy in Frankfurt

Booked a "Deluxe King" and was upgraded to a "Deluxe Garden View King" at check-in.
Didn't need an early check-in, but they initially assigned me to an occupied room. Walked in to find a mess indicating the room was definitely not vacant. They apologized profusely and found me another one very promptly.
Breakfast was awesome; pretty much anything you wanted from either the a la carte menu or the buffet. The buffet was valued at 34 euros and included eggs made-to-order. Really delicious.
Used late check-out although they called around 1pm to ask me if I wanted to use it despite indicating it at check-in.
The special amenity is an 85-euro food and beverage credit which they strictly applied to non-alcoholic beverages only (unlike their sister property in Prague, which applied it to anything at all).

Bottom line: exceptional staff, beautiful building and facilities, nice rooms. HORRIBLE wifi at 20 euros/day, they dropped the ball a little too often for a Rocco Forte property, and the location isn't so great. It's not necessarily far from town (I took several walks into various parts of town) but it's not exactly in the heart of the action.

I'll definitely stay at Rocco Forte properties again in the future, but this experience didn't really "wow" me as I expected.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 5:10 pm

Booked a last-minute room at the Ritz Carlton Atlanta Downtown. Got a free upgrade to the club lounge. That was nice.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:48 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Any recent experiences at the RC Tyson's Corner? Most recent reviews I could find were from '07.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 1:08 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LM225
Any recent experiences at the RC Tyson's Corner? Most recent reviews I could find were from '07.
Coming back to answer my own question.

Ritz-Carlton Tyson's Corner, McLean, VA

Nice property, especially for being attached to a mall, though beginning to show it's age a bit (not nearly as much, however, as the RC in Pentagon City). We were in the area for some hiking, so the location was perfect for us.

Booked a deluxe room. At check-in around 1PM, an upgrade wasn't offered, but when I asked for one, we were put in a Jr. Suite. Good sized room, but thin walls -- we could hear everything being said in the connecting room.

Used the $100 F&B amenity at Entyce, the in-house restaurant/wine bar. Decent food, superb wine list and a short but good scotch list. They had a great live jazz band when we were there.

I wasn't told what the breakfast allotment was at check-in, and forgot to ask. Turned out to be $60 -- with a (pretty lackluster) $28pp buffet, it's very easy to go over with a couple of coffees and tip, and our bill for two came to about $75. They do have some a la carte options that look pretty good, and I'll likely go with that next time.

Overall, a terrific choice if you need to be in the McLean area, though I definitely wouldn't stay here if I were visiting DC or Arlington/Alexandria, as a couple of folks whom we encountered were doing.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hyatt DIA...when I fly domestic I always fly CO or UA! yay
Shilla, Seoul

Stayed at the recently renovated Shilla (they spent like 35 million USD on the rooms and fitness), originally booked 3 nights but had to stay just 1 day since I had to go to Jeju Island. Should've stayed longer!

Overall, Great Stay-

-Room upgrade from Biz Deluxe to Grand Executive Deluxe
-100 dollars F&B credit "coupon"- you could only use it all at once and don't get any change back but still better than some useless spa credit
-noon check in
-late checkout offered til 4pm and stayed til 2pm
-breakfast at the parkview, amazing buffet.

Their renovated lounge is exceptional. Its huge, and quiet. There are some food choices such as lack of lambs and foie gras with various spirits and wines available.
Also used the fitness and sauna, again extreamly clean and modern, loved their "experience shower" booth.

Highly recommend Shilla, since grand hyatt's rooms are bit small and park hyatt's room quality is falling apart now.

Last edited by jamsoh; Sep 24, 2013 at 8:27 pm
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:17 pm

Completed two stay at the Conrad Miami over Labor Day weekend

- Both booked at basic room category and upgrade to 1 bedroom suite. The first night we had the bay-view room and the second with city view. I liked city view better because the room looks more luxurious
- Breakfast buffet vouchers for 2 each morning
- $100 F&B credit. Used at the Atrio Restaurant. Great view from the restaurant too.

Sebastian checked us in, he was very friendly and efficient. Would definitely come back.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: CX MPC, SPG Gold, Marriott Rewards
Ritz Carlton Singapore

Second stay this year. Booked 2 rooms: deluxe room and premier room, requested that the rooms be close to each other or connecting.

Upgrade: Both rooms were upgraded to deluxe Marina Bay View rooms and they are both connected.
Special amenity: High tea for 2 per room. I think the weekend high tea has much better spread than the weekday one.
Early check-in: did not use, but I think it's very hard to get one in this hotel. Came in at 5pm and they just finished cleaning the room.
Late check-out: was not offered and I did not need one.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by briansee
Had a great 3 night stay there, using 2 nights, get 1 free deal.

Upon arrival, was greeted with a very friendly welcome and acknowledged we booked with FHR. We originally booked Deluxe Suite and was upgraded to a one bedroom villa ($220 difference per night). They are undergoing renovations now for almost all their suites, so unsure if they would have upgraded us if suites were actually available. Regardless, it was definitely a huge upgrade as the villa is not connected to the main resort, is significantly larger and has a private pool. In addition to the upgrade, we checked in an hour earlier, had free breakfast every day we were there, and had a free 1 hour Balinese massage for the both of us.

The free breakfast was definitely a nice perk because we had a choice of anything on the breakfast menu and could have it either delivered to our villa as room service or to eat it in the main restaurant in the resort, Ayung Terrace. We got in-villa dining for 2 breakfasts and dined in the restaurant for 1 morning. They probably overprice breakfast significantly because most people probably book a package with breakfast included, but the sticker price for each person for breakfast is $35-45 USD per person per breakfast.

The 1 hour massage was heavenly. Even though at booking they knew it was a complimentary massage, we were treated as if we paid full price for it. The massage was way better than either of the two massages we had (one 4 hand massage in Ubud and a regular Balinese massage in Seminyak from highly rated places on tripadvisor).

Overall, we felt the FHR perks were great despite our short stay and we look forward to using FHR again. The only drawback was that they still charged $10 per day for internet.
We had a similar experience and excellent stay in March. Same upgrade, and the breakfast is delicious. The only minor glitch is that our massage had to be in-room at the last minute due to some construction to the villas right near the spa. Since the massage is a FHR perk, we didn't mind.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:40 am

Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver

Booked a standard king room and was upgraded to a king suite. At check-in I was advised of the benefits including free breakfast and the $100 food and beverage credit, which I could not use for tips. Breakfast was okay, continental type of food. The credit was used in the bar for food and drinks, which was pretty decent. Overall, would definitely recommend the hotel. Great location and hospitable staff.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:50 am

Loews Ventana - Tucson, AZ

Very nice property.
Rooms were OK but the staff was Excellent! Service was impeccable.

Booked basic, upgraded to nicest (non-suite) room. "Grand - something"
Breaky was $70. Portion of the $70 could be used for tip and taxes. Really nice benefit. Order $50 and let tip and tax fill the remainder.
Wasn't able to use the golf but it seems like an excellent deal. When golf not used, they add $50 f/b credit.
Offered 4pm checkout but didnt use it

Great stay. Highly recommend on the FHR programme.

I will stay again when in Tucson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.