Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Okto
On the contrary. I've demonstrated that the card's annual fees are unnecessary altogether in order to get FHR-type benefits are participating properties. As such, the annual fee cannot be offset by this benefit alone. That you choose to ignore this fact is of course your prerogative.
Please stop ignoring reality. The hotel I referred to in one of my earlier posts is the excellent Bayerischer Hof in Munich. Breakfast is 40 euros per person. The property is not available through Virtuoso. Stay 4 days through FHR with an American Platinum card or 7 days with a Canadian Platinum card (ignoring the $200 travel credit for simplicity) and the annual fee is offset.

That's but one example from a recent trip. I can go on and on and on. That you choose to ignore reality is your prerogative.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
May I ask you what room type did you pay for ?
What the difference between harbor view and harbor premier ?
I paid for a normal deluxe, which would have been city facing, and was upgraded at time of booking. The difference between a normal room and a Premier is a large sitting area by the window. And a nicer bathroom and the valet box. Maybe other things I don't recall. They may have changed things over the last couple years though. I just looked at the site and it seems a Harbor Deluxe is actually a Premier room. But that's just my guess, I don't know for sure. I know on a previous stay I had a Premier room facing the city.

Cafe Causette : they told me that we can only have the continental bkfst, maybe they changed the rule or maybe CTS has more privilege.
Hotel staff told me that 6 pm is always granted for Centurion
Not sure if it is just Centurion, but we were told we could eat at either restaurant or in room. And anything on the menu was included. On the FHR card nothing was mentioned about continental like it is at some other hotels. And on the card it said 4pm check out, or 6pm upon request if available.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I paid for a normal deluxe, which would have been city facing, and was upgraded at time of booking. The difference between a normal room and a Premier is a large sitting area by the window. And a nicer bathroom and the valet box. Maybe other things I don't recall. They may have changed things over the last couple years though. I just looked at the site and it seems a Harbor Deluxe is actually a Premier room. But that's just my guess, I don't know for sure. I know on a previous stay I had a Premier room facing the city.

Not sure if it is just Centurion, but we were told we could eat at either restaurant or in room. And anything on the menu was included. On the FHR card nothing was mentioned about continental like it is at some other hotels. And on the card it said 4pm check out, or 6pm upon request if available.
Thank you Stimpy. Probably they told me 6pm only for Centurion to justify that they can't gave me 6 as plat
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by ffsim
The property is not available through Virtuoso.
Exactly.

I am also of the belief that the FHR benefits I've received more than make up for the $450 annual fee.

Not to mention the $200 airline credit, not to mention the $100 Global Entry fee reimbursement, not to mention that AMEX reimbursed me for a Louis Vuitton wallet I had just purchased in Paris because it was stolen, not to mention that AMEX sent me a replacement card in less than 20 hours because someone was using it fraudulently in California while I was in Florida, not to mention that AMEX fronted me 200 CHF while I was in stuck in GVA, and I could go on and on and on.

AMEX takes very good care of me.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
Exactly.

I am also of the belief that the FHR benefits I've received more than make up for the $450 annual fee.

Not to mention the $200 airline credit, not to mention the $100 Global Entry fee reimbursement, not to mention that AMEX reimbursed me for a Louis Vuitton wallet I had just purchased in Paris because it was stolen, not to mention that AMEX sent me a replacement card in less than 20 hours because someone was using it fraudulently in California while I was in Florida, not to mention that AMEX fronted me 200 CHF while I was in stuck in GVA, and I could go on and on and on.

AMEX takes very good care of me.
You're Lucky.. in France they're a nightmare. Lately I called them as I spent USD100 for a doctor in South America and they told me to first check with the public social secrity, then with my private social security then to check with them...
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:30 am

Talking

Hi all,

I have a question, 'cos I'm confused where upgrade is up ONE category or it just the next best room/suit available?

I'm looking at Four Season in Sydney... The suits I'm looking at are...

Exec Suite City View King Bed $694/night

Exec Suite Harbour View King Bed $832/night

Royal Suite $2266/night

My target is the Royal Suite, so my question is, do I have to make reservation for the Harbour View Exec Suite in order for a chance to upgrade into the Royal Suite, or the City View is good enough for the one category upgrade?

and one other question, there are also two type of Royal Suite with different views, am I even allow to ask to switch to the better view Royal Suite if I get offer the upgrade and get assigned to the city view Royal Suite?

Oh.. and one last question... anyone have any experience of room/suite upgrade with FS in Sydney? the last reviews was back in 09 on Flyertalk...

Cheers~
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Okto
On the contrary. I've demonstrated that the card's annual fees are unnecessary altogether in order to get FHR-type benefits are participating properties. As such, the annual fee cannot be offset by this benefit alone. That you choose to ignore this fact is of course your prerogative.
This is the key. The other person taking this to task in this thread was assuming that I, or others, are shopping rates and not the hotel itself first. That's incorrect for me, at least, and participating properties make a difference.

Throw out my last stay at the US Grant if you'd like, since it participates in Virtuoso. This weekend I'm spending two nights at the Loews in Montreal - not listed on the Virtuoso web site, so I assume not participating. This is the hotel I selected, and it happens to be an FHR participant. My rate on a Grand Deluxe Double room was the same as the website, I'll definitely eat breakfast at the hotel either way, and the late checkout is great because we are driving and can spend more time in the city - something I might pay for in this case. I'm absolutely counting the benefits against the annual fee.

That I could have stayed at the Fairmont, Ritz Carlton or St. James is irrelevant to me - they participate in Virtuoso and I believe FHR as well, but even ignoring the fact that all 3 had higher rates for a comparable room when I last checked, I was going to stay at the Loews either way.

These benefits definitely offset the annual fee for some of us. It's not one size fits all - there are Platinum benefits that some people love, but to which I attach no value. FHR happens to be one that I do value, and does justify me keeping the card.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
This weekend I'm spending two nights at the Loews in Montreal
Enjoy our city! Not sure if you're planning to catch any Just for Laughs shows, but there's a whole lot of funny in town this weekend ^

I stayed at Loews last year under FHR, and I think you'll like the property. I spent the whole F&B credit at the bar (we were there for a stag party) and woke up too late to enjoy breakfast, but the 4pm checkout came in handy and the upgraded room was really nice. Oh, and the location is absolutely perfect.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:58 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by catcathk
Hi all,

I have a question, 'cos I'm confused where upgrade is up ONE category or it just the next best room/suit available?

I'm looking at Four Season in Sydney... The suits I'm looking at are...

Exec Suite City View King Bed $694/night

Exec Suite Harbour View King Bed $832/night

Royal Suite $2266/night
I'd say your chance of an upgrade valued at $1400.00 more than your room rate is zero, unless you have some sort of track history at FS Sydney or FS in general. At those price points I would strongly suggest Park Hyatt Sydney. The deluxe rooms are larger than the suites at Four Seasons and are basically the same price you are showing above
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by ABG
I'd say your chance of an upgrade valued at $1400.00 more than your room rate is zero, unless you have some sort of track history at FS Sydney or FS in general. At those price points I would strongly suggest Park Hyatt Sydney. The deluxe rooms are larger than the suites at Four Seasons and are basically the same price you are showing above

Hi ABG, thank you for your reply, I love Park Hyatt, but my purpose of this trip is to visit friends live in the north shore and around the city therefore public transportation is important to me...

I understand the price different and the chances are slim when no body (i.e. me ) asking for an upgrade, but doesn't FHR offer upgrade when there's availability? If... let say I check on the spot that the room/suit is available... would FHR agent able to make it happen? Given that if a FHR agent confirmed that upgrade upon availability for this particular hotel and this particular type of room? I heard horror story that property refused upgrade due to rules that customer didn't confirm upon reservation...

How about Shangri-La? It's offer free wifi and newer then FS... if I wanted a suite with view of both harbor bridge and opera house, which suite/room should I make reservation in order to upgrade to the suite I wanted?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:51 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I love Park Hyatt, but my purpose of this trip is to visit friends live in the north shore and around the city therefore public transportation is important to me...
If you are willing to pay 832.00 for a hotel room, treat yourself to a taxi and stay at a great hotel. Just because it says upgrade on arrival, at any property, doesn't mean they will upgrade you to special / named suites. Many posters have reported that FHR agents will review upgrade terms with you before you book.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:23 pm

Believe upgrade to top suite is most of the times not possible according to T&C
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by ABG
If you are willing to pay 832.00 for a hotel room, treat yourself to a taxi and stay at a great hotel. Just because it says upgrade on arrival, at any property, doesn't mean they will upgrade you to special / named suites. Many posters have reported that FHR agents will review upgrade terms with you before you book.
Money can't buy the time lost in taxi
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by ABG

Yes, thanks for explaining, I understand as long as the FHR agent have reviewed the T&C and confirmed that the room is upgradable and the next level up is the Royal Suite and it's available... (there are two higher level suite than this one btw), then I'm eligible for upgrade ... I guess...... I will call, they might say yes, they might say no, will see

Thanks for the advice of Taxi... but I will drive if I need to go further... just not sure if I remember how to drive righty... hehe
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:50 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Yes, thanks for explaining, I understand as long as the FHR agent have reviewed the T&C and confirmed that the room is upgradable and the next level up is the Royal Suite and it's available... (there are two higher level suite than this one btw), then I'm eligible for upgrade ... I guess...... I will call, they might say yes, they might say no, will see

Thanks for the advice of Taxi... but I will drive if I need to go further... just not sure if I remember how to drive righty... hehe
One thing to consider if you want to book the FS Sydney is to contact a FSPP who might be more willing to negotiate with the hotel on your behalf to secure the Royal Suite.

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.