Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
You should never assume how a program works, especially when it comes to money. There are always rules and exceptions if you read the fine print. The most often exception is that the credit does not include tips. Always check first.
Originally Posted by YtravelF
I would normally agree with you stimpy, but seeing as how they had used the credit for the exact same thing at the same hotel only a few months prior to this incident, I have to side with alphabetsoup on this one.

It sounds like the hotel capriciously changed their policies and neglected to tell anyone. I would definitely dispute the charge.
Originally Posted by free101girl
That said, when I check in, I make a habit of asking very explicitly how the various FHR credits will work. (Where does the breakfast benefit apply? Is there a maximum value per day? etc.)
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We will be sure to ask for the specifics in the future.

In regards to our situation, based on a later discussion with a hotel representative, the property credit is supposed to be applied only toward F&B purchases, and he said he would double check with Amex to make sure that it's made more clear on the booking site. The person who had checked us out in February apparently made a mistake by applying it to our parking charges. In any case, he graciously offered to apply the credit for our last stay due to the mixed messaging and since we didn't use it for other things.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: United Gold
Four Seasons Maui

Upgraded from Garden View to Executive Suite Garden View, a four category room upgrade.

$100 food/beverage credit, used at Ferraro's, which was really good and had an *insane* view of the sunset.

$62.50 for continental breakfast. Going to use at Duo buffet and will upgrade to the full buffet with surcharge.

Checking out at 4pm, going to enjoy the room as long as possible.

Having a great time here in Wailea. Next stop FS Hong Kong.

Last edited by love_to_travel; Jul 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm Reason: Continental breakfast credit is $62.50 not $62.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
45 Park Lane Hotel

I recently had a mixed experience at the 45 Park Lane Hotel. I arrived at about 2:00, and my room was not ready so I sat in the lobby and read for probably 60 minutes. So, no noon check in availability.

When taken up to the room, I eventually needed to ask about the Amex credit benefit and whether it worked at the Dorchester. My host said yes and then mentioned the 4:00 check out (which I didn't need). Did not mention breakfast.

Did not receive a room upgrade and would actually call it a room downgrade since I do not like handicap-oriented bathrooms (one large shower room with toilet and water everywhere and no bath tub). Given the wait I had already experienced, I did not try to move. Other than the bathroom, the rooms there are terrific - large, great technology, great soundproofing from Park Lane.

Upon checkout, no charge for breakfast nor for dinner at Bar 45 (which cost more than the FHR credit).
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
I recently had a mixed experience at the 45 Park Lane Hotel. I arrived at about 2:00, and my room was not ready so I sat in the lobby and read for probably 60 minutes. So, no noon check in availability.

.... Did not receive a room upgrade and would actually call it a room downgrade....
Unfortunately both of these problems are fairly common at small boutique properties. With only 45 rooms, a hotel just doesn't have a lot of leeway for upgrades and it's harder for them to get enough rooms turned over quickly to accommodate early check-ins. I always have to weigh the trade-off of (hopefully) better service at the small hotels vs. upgrades, early check-in and extra amenities (spa, pool, restaurants, etc.) at the larger properties.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:49 pm
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Thumbs up Le Meridien Budapest

Staying at Le Meridien Budapest tonight, which I'd booked through Centurion FHR. I originally booked it myself for €111 per night, but once I realised it was part of FHR, I re-booked through my Centurion Concierge, for the slightly higher fee of €131.

To be fair, I am also SPG Platinum, but the number of amenities being thrown at me is astonishing!
  • Fantastic check-in recognition for being both SPG Platinum and AmEx Centurion
  • 4pm check-out
  • Free welcome drinks at any bar
  • Free breakfast
  • Free wi-fi
  • €85 food and beverage credit
  • Upgrade to a Junior Suite (I booked cheapest standard room)

I couldn't possibly ask for me! Considering a drink and breakfast is already included, I have absolutely no idea how I'll blow the €85 F&B credit in one night! Oh well, I better get started...
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong

Upgraded to Harbor Deluxe at time of booking with CTS, and further upgraded to Harbor View Premier at check in.
Full, and I mean full, breakfast included. Value well over $100 for two at the Cafe Causette. Could have chosen buffet or in room service if we wanted.
$100 Spa credit, which is about half the cost of a 60 minute Oriental Massage
6Pm check out asked and given without fuss
2nd night free.

One of the worlds greatest hotels. Awesome rooms and fabulous service throughout.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:35 pm

2nd night free.
Would you please elaborate? This isn't coming up as a current FHR perk for me.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Coolers
Would you please elaborate? This isn't coming up as a current FHR perk for me.
You may notice that I mentioned CTS in my post, which stands for Centurion Travel Service. Centurion members have traditionally received a free night at every MO in the world, but lately it's been reduced to Asia it seems. In any case the MO HKG is one of those that gives one free night per year to Centurion members.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:26 am

You may notice that I mentioned CTS in my post, which stands for Centurion Travel Service. Centurion members have traditionally received a free night at every MO in the world, but lately it's been reduced to Asia it seems. In any case the MO HKG is one of those that gives one free night per year to Centurion members.
Thanks, my mistake - I mistook CTS for PTS for some reason.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:46 am

London West Hollywood

London West Hollywood
Originally Posted by atreusgod
Took advantage of the 1 night free for a 4 nights stay.
Booked two Vista Suites, received Vista Suites (although the receptionist claimed that this is already an upgrade),
How was that an upgrade? I am wondering because that happened to me as well, but not with the Vista Suite. Front Desk told me they don't upgrade my particular room either (unless I wanted to pay for the available room).

This was posted in the (non)-upgrade thread. Hope this is not part of a bigger trend of (non)-upgrades for FHR. First, we have the $100 spa credit overtaking the food credit, now hotels are (in conjunction with AMEX, who is agreeing to these terms) reducing the "upgradeable" rooms to just a few categories?

Or maybe they are doing this outside of the contract?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 7:13 am

I've booked my 2nd FHR stay at the US Grant in San Diego, as well as my 1st at the Loews Vogue Montreal. Both times, the rate matched the lowest rate from their website for that room type - the difference being FHR is (almost) always refundable, while the best rate was sometimes prepaid from the hotel. I'd suggest giving Amex a call and seeing if they'll match that rate - I've heard they will.

Off topic, but FHR was the benefit I knew the least about before I got the Platinum card - I'd mostly done it for the lounge access and the signup bonus. However, it's the benefit that's provided me the most, in terms of real dollar benefits. My family trips include a 1 year old daughter, so breakfast at the hotel, or unanticipated room service are common for us. Our one stay at the US Grant more than paid for the annual fee - $80/day for breakfast (40pp) for 5 days, plus a $100 F&B credit.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Our one stay at the US Grant more than paid for the annual fee - $80/day for breakfast (40pp) for 5 days, plus a $100 F&B credit.
The problem with that argument is that breakfast is not worth $80, so you didn't save $80. It's like saying that if you got upgraded from a $100 room to a $300 suite you saved $200. A better measure would be the cost of a comparable breakfast right outside of the hotel, in a nearby coffee shop or restaurant. In my experience, you can have that for ~$30.

The difference between the hotel's flexible rate + ~$30 vs the FHR rate would be a better measure of value.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Okto
The problem with that argument is that breakfast is not worth $80, so you didn't save $80. It's like saying that if you got upgraded from a $100 room to a $300 suite you saved $200. A better measure would be the cost of a comparable breakfast right outside of the hotel, in a nearby coffee shop or restaurant. In my experience, you can have that for ~$30.

The difference between the hotel's flexible rate + ~$30 vs the FHR rate would be a better measure of value.
No, the rest of my post sets out the context for why that is - we travel with our daughter, and quite often we eat at the hotel in the morning. Hotel breakfast is something we do, and would have spent anyway. It's convenient, and at the places we generally, go it's usually very good, too. It's way overpriced, but odds are we'd do it anyway out of convenience. In the case of this particular hotel, breakfast for 2 1/2 generally does run $60 and I tip the rest up to the credit. So if anything, discount my tip, but in my case the value is there.

At this hotel, the $100 F&B can go toward anything, so we'll just take some snacks for the day out of the mini bar if we aren't going to use it. Again, I'd stop at 7-11 if not for the credit, so I don't count that.

We sometimes get an upgrade, but I don't even count that because I wouldn't have paid more - I book the most reasonably priced room that will fit us, and any upgrade is a $0 bonus. Same with late checkout. I'd never pay for it, so I don't count it, but it is convenient if we have a late flight to be able to go out for the day, come back, shower, and hit the airport.

In any case, I've never been more than $10 off the hotel's direct, best rate - usually prepaid - while FHR is flexible. And either for business or due to the kid factor, I have had to cancel close-in before. FHR is a valuable benefit for me. Maybe not for all, but definitely for me.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Okto
The problem with that argument is that breakfast is not worth $80, so you didn't save $80. A better measure would be the cost of a comparable breakfast right outside of the hotel, in a nearby coffee shop or restaurant. In my experience, you can have that for ~$30.
It doesn't matter what it's worth: if you would have paid it anyway, then you saved the entire amount by getting it free, regardless of whether or not it was
worth the price charged.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
It doesn't matter what it's worth: if you would have paid it anyway, then you saved the entire amount by getting it free, regardless of whether or not it was
worth the price charged.
True, but that wasn't obvious (at least to me) in PWMTrav's post. The amount of money he was willing to pay was not stated. What was stated, is that the FHR breakfast benefit covered the very real $450 Amex Plat annual fee. That's where I can't see a dollar-for-dollar correspondence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.