FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:11 pm
apk123

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Shangri la Sydney

I stayed at the Shangri la Sydney mid-February.

Booked Horizon Club opera view. I needed an extra-early check-in since my flight arrived in the morning. Upon check-in I was recognized as an FHR guest and got explanation of benefits. Upgraded to a junior suite on the 34th floor (highest floor with "regular" rooms I was notified). Pretty good considering I was checking in at 10am. Breakfast was already complimentary with the club room. I had it in the restaurant rather than the club due to a far better selection, this was a great buffet. Used (part of) the F&B credit on the bar on 36th floor. Views from the room, club, and 36th floor bar were awesome. Needed and easily got late check-out.

All-in-all it was a very good hotel which delivered on the FHR benefits and I would come back again.

Side story: after leaving I realized that I forgot my tablet in the room. I already left Sydney. They did find it quickly, but getting it mailed was a big hassle. It's mostly I think due to it being an Asian hotel and having Asians rather than Australians answer the phone. It was hard to communicate, and each time I called I got promises that something would be done and then in my next call there would be no record of such promises. But once I got to speak to managers (which spoke perfect Australian) it got resolved quickly and they didn't charge for the mailing, I guess as a courtesy for all the hassle. So in the end I got my tablet and got a satisfying resolution, but as a warning, if you have any moderately difficult requests to ask on the phone, make sure to ask for the manager.

Last edited by apk123; Apr 8, 2013 at 4:16 pm