FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:47 am
free101girl

Peninsula Beverly Hills

Somewhat disappointed in this hotel. I loved the Peninsulas in HK and NYC but this just wasn't in the same category.

Paid $605/night FHR rate for a Patio Deluxe King. Rate was lower than I found anywhere else.

No upgrade at check-in and lack of upgrade wasn't mentioned. Unlike the Peninsula NYC, where my years-previous stay at the HK property was mentioned and my preferences noted from that previous stay, I was treated like a first-timer here.

FHR pamphlet was handed to me and front desk person asked if I had any questions about FHR benefits. I asked about how the breakfast credit works and was told it's a $45/night credit toward breakfast anywhere in the hotel. Not very generous, and would not cover a basic Continental breakfast for 2, which is supposed to be the minimum FHR benefit.

The Guest Relations Manager walked us to our room. What I had failed to consider is that this is not a non-smoking hotel, plus of course the patio rooms would be popular with smokers. So the room reeked of smoke that had been masked with a heavy air freshener. Yuck. I said something two seconds after walking through the door. The manager responded in a rather hostile tone, "I don't have a higher category room to put you in. I can only put you in another room like this." Her tone made it clear she thought I was angling for an upgrade, which I wasn't (though of course one would have been welcome). My husband dislikes conflict and started saying he couldn't smell anything, so I dropped it, but I was not happy. The smell was bad and I ended up calling Housekeeping and having them run an ionizer in the room all day while we were gone.

Be aware that the $100 spa credit will not cover any spa service in full. I booked the White Chocolate pedicure. Peninsula website lists the price as $100 but I was charged $135 (plus tip, of course). Supposed to be a 75-minute experience - I was out of there in 45. It was really nothing special at all. I've had much better pedicures elsewhere.

Service throughout the hotel was generally good, but not great. For example, were constantly asked our name, yet after 4 nights no one managed to remember it, ever. (It's not a tough one.)

We really enjoyed breakfasts on the roof terrace, and spent an enjoyable afternoon in one of the pool cabanas. Service up there was very good. We also enjoyed the lobby bar. Great people-watching and the drinks and snacks were excellent.

I had several very pleasant interactions with other guests, many of whom were regulars, so maybe I should give this one another try, but I definitely wasn't wowed.