Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

When you purchase your Gift Cards, you may wish to do it through one of these links; a portion of the purchase price will be donated to the applicable charity:

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/komen-gift-card

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out

to donate $5/$50 GC to Susan G. Komen for the Cure;

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card to donate to the USO;

or to donate to UNCF:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/american-air...uncf-gift-card

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See post 1115 for first details of this.

Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE. REPORTS OF AMEX NOT ALLOWING CREDIT IF NOT SELECTED PRIOR.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See what is currently post 519 for first details of this.

Post 1126 proves to be current, regarding NJ residents. YMMV, until there are more DP's.

Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:47 am

For some reason I was only reimbursed 195.05 for my physical giftcards when I was charged 204.95 (4.95 shipping)... anyone know why or what I should do?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mastermind85
For some reason I was only reimbursed 195.05
Most likely $4.95 was reimbursed earlier in 2013.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:35 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Just did my 2 x $100 virtual GC purchase... tick tock tick tock for that credit!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
I'm going to sign up for the AAdvantage Platinum Status Challenge - it has a $200 fee to sign up.

Has anyone successfully used the AMEX Plat $200 Airline Fee Credit to cover the "fee" for this status challenge?

If so, I'd change my preference from WN to AA.
An Update - I set my preference as AA, since I already have $85 in GCs left for WN, plus a $380 Flight Voucher for WN… and 4 drink coupons… I don't see myself needing MORE WN.

SO - I'm going to now call AA and book a Platinum Challenge. Will post back on how it posts and if I get my $200 back or not…
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I had upgraded to Platinum on the 20th of Dec '13 and had waited for the platinum card to arrive before buying the airline gift cards. By the 27th, I hadn't received the platinum cards yet, so having read in this forum of successful reimbursement of gift card purchases made with PRG card detail (the expiration date and 4 digit CCV, and of course the card no. but that stays the same for the Platinum card after the upgrade from PRG), I went ahead with the gift card purchase.

I bought 2 x $100 virtual gift cards in a single transaction. Happy to report that the the reimbursement came through on the 12/30 (3 days turnaround)! I'll wait till Feb to use the 2014 benefit.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:49 pm

I don't remember if I mentioned this before or not...
When you purchase your Gift Cards, do it through this link:

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out.

It donates $5/$50 GC to Breast Cancer Research.

Alternatively you can do the same for USO:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card

or UNCF:
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BenH
Why not add these suggestions to the Wikipost at the top of the thread?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by BenH
When you purchase your Gift Cards, do it through this link:

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out.

It donates $5/$50 GC to Breast Cancer Research.

Alternatively you can do the same for USO:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card

or UNCF:
Awww, that's great. I did that last year. I forgot to do it this year. Already went and bought. Hopefully someone else would be reminded to do it when they see this post/thread.

Thanks for sharing!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
Awww, that's great. I did that last year. I forgot to do it this year. Already went and bought. Hopefully someone else would be reminded to do it when they see this post/thread.

Thanks for sharing!
I just did my 2 $100 GC with this option. Was this available last year? I didn't know that they had that option at all.

Oh well, at least I did it this year and then will likely cancel the card .

Thank you Amex Platinum, you've been good to me!

Also, kind of OT, when you cancel your Amex Platinum, your Priority Pass membership doesn't expire, correct?

Thanks to everyone for their help with all Amex Platinum stuff, and I'll definitely update when I get my reimbursements back.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
PP membership is canceled when you cancel the Amex according to several posts I have read in the lounge access thread.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I can confirm that, I just checked my wife's Priority Pass account, and it was cancelled when we cancelled her Amex Hilton Surpass.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
I can confirm that, I just checked my wife's Priority Pass account, and it was cancelled when we cancelled her Amex Hilton Surpass.
Dang.... I might have to wait until I come back from my overseas trip to cancel the Amex then....

How good is Amex at issuing partial refunds on the $450 annual fee? I'll be back in mid-February from my trip so, it'll be a little over a month of still having the Amex card beyond my re-sign up date.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:36 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I signed up and made AA my airline. I just went online a bought a single $200 AA gift card, then realized that everyone else had been getting either 2x$100 or 4x$50. Does it not get reimbursed for a single $200 GC?

Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by oarsman15
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I signed up and made AA my airline. I just went online a bought a single $200 AA gift card, then realized that everyone else had been getting either 2x$100 or 4x$50. Does it not get reimbursed for a single $200 GC?

Thanks.
It should. Key word being "should." Some of us do the 2x$100 thing so as to not attract attention since technically they would be within their rights to not reimburse.

But I remember from last year that people did buy a $200 GC and got the reimbursement.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: A few
Just bought 4 x $100 AA GC's across two Plat cards using the Komen link. Hopefully $400 for me and $40 for charity. Thanks Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.