Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat

I only fly delta domestically so I reg'ed with delta and use it for inflight meals, because of the $200 dollar credit I have been generous on my flights buying neighbors food/drinks etc.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:28 pm

Can I buy a sky club membership (for someone else) and get $200 in credit back?

What about international award ticket redemption fees for taxes, etc.? They seem to post as "Additional collection".

Last edited by johndoe123; Mar 7, 2011 at 6:31 pm
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:34 pm

$200 pet fee was refunded by Amex without question or request.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL SM, AA, BA, WN, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
Buy miles?

Can you use the $200 to buy miles? If so, then for $168 you would get 9K SkyMiles. (Have to buy in set increments so the next choice would be 12K miles for $224. This includes the current 50% bonus on buying miles.) Granted, this is not a screaming deal, but come the end of the year if you have credit to spend......

Last edited by DLcoop1977; Mar 11, 2011 at 7:50 pm
Old Mar 12, 2011, 3:36 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DLcoop1977
Can you use the $200 to buy miles?
At most airlines, miles purchases, gifts or transfers are billed by points.com, not by the carrier. The charge must be submitted by the airline to be considered.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by mia
At most airlines, miles purchases, gifts or transfers are billed by points.com, not by the carrier. The charge must be submitted by the airline to be considered.
DL's miles purchases are posted as DL, appearing like a ticket, not by a third party vendor. Not sure how AMEX's systems are set up in terms of detecting if the transaction is refundable. IIRC, the "ticket" type is in the miscellaneous category, similar to bag fees.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Fairmont Premier, SPG Gold
taxes refunded

I am DL platinium. Booked couple of trips to Paris using DL points for my wife and I on tax card, tax comes in total $176. got credit back on the next statement. Wait for another month to cancel my trip to get the $176 back.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
Is the $150 dollar fee, I'm only an FO on Delta, considered a ticket charge or is it something else so that I could use the 200 towards changing a ticket
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL FO, AMEX PLAT, SPG GOLD
Has anyone tried to purchase a Delta Gift Certificate and got the Amex refund?
http://www.delta.com/help/contact_us...ates/index.jsp

This could be a work around for using the credit to purchase flights plus if you don't use the certificate you can get cash back for a 10% charge.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta Diamond
Not sure if this has been mentioned already...

I got 2 award tickets on DL to Europe with $200 in taxes($100 per). I was reimbursed under the $200 airline credit.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: DL PM, HH DM
Anyone have any luck getting reimbursed for buying Delta gift cards? If so, what increments were those bought in?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Flyer IAH
Which airlines besides AA have gift cards that would qualify for the reimbursement?
I haven't seen any successful besides Delta yet. There was the question around whether Delta gift cards worked, but I haven't seen a post to suggest either way. I wish Amex was more clear on what is reimbursable and what isn't. It feels more like a guessing game to take advantage of the benefit. I would say there seems to be a pattern of small purchases getting reimbursed (gift cards, cheap flights, etc.) So maybe Amex is clearing everything below a certain threshold. I wish I knew how their system was determining what gets credited and what doesn't. Frustrating....
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Wait, I didn't get it... Anyone tried to buy a Delta gift card and got reimbursed for it? If that is the case, what was the gift card amount?

Thank you!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by cacohenassaf
Wait, I didn't get it... Anyone tried to buy a Delta gift card and got reimbursed for it? If that is the case, what was the gift card amount?

Thank you!
I bought 400 $.50 cards and so far have 397 of them reimbursed.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Originally Posted by mreed911
I bought 400 $.50 cards and so far have 397 of them reimbursed.
Hey, thanks for the reply. You bought 400 .50 $ cards?? haha
I can't find where to buy gift cards the only thing i see is this:
https://www.delta.com/help/contact_u...x.jsp#purchase
and this is not redeemable online...

Thanks again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.