Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

When you purchase your Gift Cards, you may wish to do it through one of these links; a portion of the purchase price will be donated to the applicable charity:

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/komen-gift-card

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out

to donate $5/$50 GC to Susan G. Komen for the Cure;

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card to donate to the USO;

or to donate to UNCF:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/american-air...uncf-gift-card

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See post 1115 for first details of this.

Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE. REPORTS OF AMEX NOT ALLOWING CREDIT IF NOT SELECTED PRIOR.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See what is currently post 519 for first details of this.

Post 1126 proves to be current, regarding NJ residents. YMMV, until there are more DP's.

Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:49 am

Purchased $100 on Dec 4th, credited December 14th. My closing date is the 27th.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:18 am

Just purchased $100 AA GC today on PRG. Will report back with reimbursement.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by turin39789
11/28 - Global Entry - 11/29 Credit
11/29 - $100 e-gift card - 12/1 Credit
12/04 - $100 e-gift card - no credit yet.
Credit for 12/04 purchase processed last night, 12/14. Patience.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS GOLD, AA EXP, SPG PLAT, Marriott PLAT
Purchased $50 GC on 12/13 from AA website..waiting for it to be reimbursed on my platinum card. There was an additional $1 charge from AA. idk what thats for
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by noobConsultant
Purchased $50 GC on 12/13 from AA website..waiting for it to be reimbursed on my platinum card. There was an additional $1 charge from AA. idk what thats for
That $1 is just an authorization charge. It won't post to your account.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by PaidFlights
12/5 purchased $50 eGC using PRG
12/8 posted

I haven't received a credit as of today. However, I did receive the $5 dunkin donuts credit one day after it posted.
The credit posted to my account today, 12/16.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: SPG Gold
made a purchase of 100$GC on Dec 5
Statement cut on Dec 12
Credit of 100$ today Dec 16

Doubt whether this will come in 2015 or 2016 one. I still believe it is 2015 because if it is 2016 we have not yet selected the airline and there is no way for it to credit back the amount automatically.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott
Made 2x $100 gift card purchases on 12/1. Still nothing.

Today I called AMEX and complained. I explained that AA never coded these purchases as gift cards and AMEX has always reimbursed me for them. Not sure what their problem is. They also said they would submit my comments to their fraud departments as gift cards from airlines are specifically not allowed
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Iam787

Today I called AMEX and complained. I explained that AA never coded these purchases as gift cards and AMEX has always reimbursed me for them. Not sure what their problem is. They also said they would submit my comments to their fraud departments as gift cards from airlines are specifically not allowed
APRIL FOOLS ..... Right?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Iam787

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttt?

Why would you call? And even if you did, why would you tell them that gift cards are coding as purchases?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:36 pm

Also just to confirm, these reimbursements are based on when they were purchased, right? As in I can buy them in a statement that closes in 2016 but as long as the purchase was made in 2015, I will still get the credit?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Right. I believe it must be posted in 2015, not just purchased, but I might be wrong about that.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Diamond, WOH Globalist
Purchased $50 gift card on 12/3. Credit posted on 12/13. The 10 day lag seems consistent with many other folks above. Got my $200 of spending done for this year!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
This is why we can't keep having nice things.

Too many people who are too stupid.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by beckshrules
made a purchase of 100$GC on Dec 5
Statement cut on Dec 12
Credit of 100$ today Dec 16

Doubt whether this will come in 2015 or 2016 one. I still believe it is 2015 because if it is 2016 we have not yet selected the airline and there is no way for it to credit back the amount automatically.
Another data point:
Purchased Dec 6, as of afternoon (EST) Dec 16, didn't get credit. This morning (Dec 17), I saw the credit in my account, dated Dec 16. My statement date is nowhere close.

Do I have to 'select' my airline every calendar year? (I guess it doesn't take much work to do so just in case...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.