FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1290571-american-express-retention-offers-2008-2016-a.html)

xfiver Jan 3, 2015 8:40 am

Just called for my PRG (I have Plat and SPG). Annual spend on PRG is 44k and I just passed the 13th month.

Got retention bonus for 25k MR points and took it.

ukinny2000 Jan 3, 2015 9:30 am

SPG Business: Called a few times over the last two weeks since my annual fee hit, and got no offers. Yesterday I called and got $65 credit and 8,000 MR points. Total spend on card has been ~$6K in this first year

Intltravler456 Jan 5, 2015 6:17 pm

Closed My Amex PRG today-No Retention Offers

I closed out my Amex PRG card today. Called Membership Consulting Services (Retention) several different times. Called before my $175 Annual Fee was going to hit and after it hit my account. Had over 30k spend on it each year (had the card 2 years). Told Amex unhappy with 15K bonus miles lost for 30K spend starting in 2015 and the fact they had foreign exchange fees and Chase did not. Each time I was only offered a downgrade to the Everyday Cards. So I closed the Card and will use my Chase SP Card.

slivrflyr Jan 5, 2015 9:35 pm

@Intltravler456

I thought that it is "impossible" to downgrade or product change to an Everyday Card from a PRG because the former is a credit and not a charge card.

I am looking to do the same thing. $175/y for a 2x on grocery spend is too rich for me. I don't put any gas or airfare on this card as I use Chase cards for that.

(I have a handful of Amex cards, including platinum, PRG and SPG, with about $16k on SPG, $18k on platinum and closer to $20k on my SPG card.)

Intltravler456 Jan 6, 2015 12:47 am

@slivrflyr

I was told each time that the downgrade to the Everyday Card is a new card with a new account number. It takes 7-10 days to receive it. You get to keep all your membership points. I had already transferred out my membership points to an airline.

mia Jan 6, 2015 6:50 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr (Post 24108986)
I thought that it is "impossible" to downgrade or product change to an Everyday Card from a PRG because the former is a credit and not a charge card.

There was a time when American Express would downgrade from charge cards to Blue credit cards. Then they stopped.

We do not know if slivrflyr's "downgrade" to Everyday would have required a credit inquiry. If not, I think most people would regard it as a genuine downgrade, even with the account number change, but if they did require an inquiry it was really a close and new application.

carzin Jan 6, 2015 9:02 am

had Gold Premier for about 5 years. Spent, on average 75k a year on the card (except one year where I used the AMEX SPG). Never late. Normally paid balance off once a week. Perfect customers with high credit scores and income. No retention offer. Tried twice. Couldn't believe they let me walk that easy.

But I have moved my normal spending to the Barclay World Elite. We fly Delta exclusively, and AMEX points just aren't that valuable on Delta anymore. I think it will be a long term good call.

slivrflyr Jan 6, 2015 9:05 am

@mia

yes, the "downgrade" offered before when i tried to change my PRG or my Delta cards to ED/EDP was to apply outright and close the account. The change from PRG was to either Platinum/standard gold/seniors gold/Green. And with the delta they offered to change it to SPG/Hilton cards/other delta cards.

--- Just got off the phone w/ retentions. no offers available for my PRG card. offered to close it out or change to a charge card; ED cards would require a new application. I told them I would consider it as my AF hasn't been billed yet

TrojanHB Jan 6, 2015 12:45 pm

Just called AmEx to close my PRG because of the loss of the 15,000 bonus points without any benefits replacing that. Been a member for 5 years with an annual spend of $50-60k. Was offered 25k MR points and took it.

I'll keep it open for another year and see if the benefits at that time justify the $175 AF next cycle.

rap77oh Jan 6, 2015 1:01 pm

I'm thankful to you guys for this information. I was thinking about closing my PRG Gold account and called retentions and was offered 25k MR points. I took it. It makes the decision for my renewal much easier.

PRG Offered 25k, 1 year old account, $15-17k spend.

FrenchLaundry Jan 6, 2015 11:10 pm

You did better than me. I was offered $75 + $75 after 1.5K spend (as in the wiki) but no points. $35K spend my first year. I declined.

Edit for clarity: For the PRG.

DanTravel Jan 7, 2015 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Westin. (Post 24087854)
Just called about my Amex personal Plat

Offered 50k points and accepted. 680k annual spend

That's over 30k worth of transaction fees! They had better have offered you 50,000 free points :)

bqkali Jan 7, 2015 1:39 pm

Business Gold - card about 2.5 years old. Have put about $25K in charges on it, almost none of it in the past year.

Called to cancel and was offered $100 credit. Accepted but may still cancel later this year, not sure yet and this buys me some time to at least break even on the pro-rated portion.

IPlayGolf Jan 11, 2015 9:11 am

PRG - 15k points + 5k in after $3000 in 2 months

Card open for 2 year, $5k spend 2013, like $2k in 2014 so I was surprised to get anything

Sean22mac Jan 12, 2015 12:32 pm

Canadian Amex Plat

Had a nice agent and went through my list of card negatives and said I was considering Marriott Visa card.

Offered 50,000MR and accepted

Less than 100K spend

Very happy :)

Mods - Should we be adding Canadian offers to the Wiki?