FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1290571-american-express-retention-offers-2008-2016-a.html)

ChicagoTraveller11 Jan 25, 2015 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by levilevi (Post 24219777)
Hey ChiTrav - looks like you got my initial offer too - did you HUCB or just haggle? Mind me asking your spend?

$25k+ spend. I just asked level 1 CSR for all the offers (miles, $ credit, card downgrade etc.), rejected each one of them and had him connect me to a supervisor who had the authority to dish out more miles. 17.5k (15k now+2.5k later) miles are not bad but 25k can be negotiated. Interestingly, my annual fee which posted last week is still $150. Not sure if everyone who got the card before fee increase is on the old fee structure. Good luck!

DeathChurch Jan 25, 2015 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by thewhitezone (Post 24232380)
when are your PRG cards up for renewal? I just called this week trying to trigger the 25k offer and was told it was too early for anything to be offered. I am up for renewal in March

I think mine comes up in March. When the agent asked why I was canceling I told him that I didn't like how they got rid of the 15K bonus. That's when he put me on hold and then came back with the 25K retention bonus.

interpolfanclub Jan 25, 2015 7:32 pm

Have the PRG, spoke with rep and advised them I was disappointed in the disappearance of the bonus but was otherwise happy with amex. Spent 60k on amex last year.

She offered me 25K MR points quickly which I accepted. No back and forth. She also told me that the spend bonus will be in place for 2015 but not after that. I thought it was done in 2014.

Thanks to this site for the info.

brownie20 Jan 27, 2015 5:09 pm

2 calls for 2 year old PRG account with minimal 2-3K spend last year. no offers so I cancelled the card. had trouble even getting transferred to retentions! :p

jft3 Jan 27, 2015 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by interpolfanclub (Post 24233411)
Have the PRG, spoke with rep and advised them I was disappointed in the disappearance of the bonus but was otherwise happy with amex. Spent 60k on amex last year.

She offered me 25K MR points quickly which I accepted. No back and forth. She also told me that the spend bonus will be in place for 2015 but not after that. I thought it was done in 2014.

Thanks to this site for the info.

Hmm, I just called to verify this as well, they said any card opened in the 2014 calendar year will have the spend bonus through 2015. But the rep didn't offer me the 25k points, oh well.

HGHUA Jan 29, 2015 6:42 am

Data Point:

Called up about the AF on my BCP card coming due in a few days. No retention offer on the card but an offer to drop to the BC Everyday WITH a bonus offer of $100 for 1K spend. Took the offer so that I eventually move the CL to my SPG.

Then as soon as we are about to end the call he's like. "Thanks for being a valued card member since 2000. We're gonna add 2000 SPG points to your acct to show our appreciation."

Lol, I'm not gonna complain. Points showed up instantly. Not too bad.

DeathChurch Jan 29, 2015 7:02 am

I called to cancel my PRG on Sunday and they offered 25K points which I accepted. The agent said that I'd get the points in 6-8 weeks, but I checked this morning and the points had already been deposited. My annual fee doesn't actually hit until March, so I suppose I could still cancel the card, but I'm actually interested in keeping it so I won't push my luck, ha ha.

pacys95 Jan 29, 2015 7:10 am

Called for my Delta Amex, was offered 12.5k to keep it

airplane7 Jan 29, 2015 8:30 am

Called this morning for Platinum. Offered and accepted 25K points. I got 50k points last year for keeping the card.

NewYorker545 Jan 30, 2015 8:28 am

Originally Posted by pacys95 (Post 24255815)
Called for my Delta Amex, was offered 12.5k to keep it

Pacys95: Did you call to cancel before or after receiving the companion cert that is available after renewal?

skitch23 Jan 31, 2015 11:12 am

Anyone successful in getting a retention offer on the BCP? I read thru the old thread and didn't see anything there either. Not worth it to me to downgrade on this one.

crazyhorse Jan 31, 2015 1:09 pm

Just cancelled my PRG. my AF wasnt up for renewal as yet but if the 15K for $30K spend is removed, I'd rather channel my everyday spend someplace else where I can get a better reward. The agent didnt try to retain me by offering more points or anything. Ultimately I just opened a new Everyday card to keep my points active.

Kind of bittersweet. This has been my go-to card for the past 3+ years.

elg26 Jan 31, 2015 3:19 pm

So does have any have any "2nd year in a row" experiences with retention bonuses? For example in my first year with the MS Platnium card I received 25K points ($25K spend). With the regular MS Amex credit card I received a $100 statement credit ($20K spend).

With expected equal spend in the 2nd year on both cards, I figure I wont get the same RB, but what should I expect?

Thanks in advance

airplane7 Feb 1, 2015 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by elg26 (Post 24268904)
So does have any have any "2nd year in a row" experiences with retention bonuses? For example in my first year with the MS Platnium card I received 25K points ($25K spend). With the regular MS Amex credit card I received a $100 statement credit ($20K spend).

With expected equal spend in the 2nd year on both cards, I figure I wont get the same RB, but what should I expect?

Thanks in advance

I posted on the last page. Got 50K last year and they offered 25K this year. Spent 60K + both years on AMEX Plat

chongl Feb 1, 2015 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by airplane7 (Post 24274847)
I posted on the last page. Got 50K last year and they offered 25K this year. Spent 60K + both years on AMEX Plat

That's probably the difference. I got 25K last year but nothing this year. About 15K spent