FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1290571-american-express-retention-offers-2008-2016-a.html)

nrdk Jan 13, 2015 12:25 pm

Personal Plat, 1 year anniversary, about 15k spend.

Had got offered $100 first time around last week and was pretty noncommittal in the conversation, however on the HUCA today they mentioned it was processed and would show in the next few weeks.

Was rather frustrated by that and mentioned I was still considering canceling regardless to change to the Citi Exec since AA lounge access is about the only one I frequent (true), they said they couldn't look at point options since the $100 was credited and to call back in a few weeks if I changed my mind to see what they could do. :rolleyes:

Stgermainparis Jan 13, 2015 3:14 pm

Is there any consensus on when and how to ask for retention bonus? Mine will post at the end of January.

1) Should I wait until it posts? Or ask before?
2) Should I call or online chat?

chmonsan Jan 14, 2015 12:11 pm

Retention Offer AMEX GOLD Premier Rewards

First post on Flyertalk and wanted it be a contribution (not huge but at least a data point).

Have an AMEX gold premier rewards that came with 50,000 MR points after $3,000 spend that I got December 2013. I completed the spend, gotten the MR points and kept using it all year long (throughout 2014). As expected my annual fee of $179 just hit a week ago. A few minutes ago I called and followed the prompts to cancel the card. A very nice rep picked up the call and let them know that I noticed that the annual fee just hit and I was calling to cancel the card. He asked what I liked about the card, and I mention the bonus categories (almost every charge I make falls within the bonus categories, so it was entirely true) and mentioned that I had a card that offered similar bonus categories but with a much smaller annual fee (also true - Chase Ink). He made me the next offers to choose from:

17,500 MR points to cover the annual fee +7,500 MR points credited to the account

or

25,000 MR point credited to the account

I chose the latter, particularly with the BA transfer bonus at the moment. He gladly processed and reminded me of the other benefits the card offers.

I've had the card for 1 year and have made about $12K in charges (paid in full at the end of every month).

I was glad with the offier.

chmonsan Jan 14, 2015 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis (Post 24160919)
Is there any consensus on when and how to ask for retention bonus? Mine will post at the end of January.

1) Should I wait until it posts? Or ask before?
2) Should I call or online chat?

FWIW, I called 1 month prior to my annual fee appearing and the reps were not as opened to offer any retention bonuses. Once me annual fee posted I called (see my post above) and was more successful. I ended up getting 25K MR points as a retention bonus and the rep offered the ability to "pay" for the annual fee with MR points which is only available if you call during the month that the annual fee posts. Obiously going the path of 'paying' the annual fee with MR points yeilds a terrible returns as you can use those same MR points in a much better way.

Good luck!

mia Jan 17, 2015 9:14 am

Moderator action

Discussion continues here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-bonuses.html

cacraig Jan 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Amex Platinum Business. Jumped the gun, and called 4 months before annual fee posting. Offered 10k pts took it. Will probably close the card soon so I can churn.

Signed up for 100k for 10k spend, and only spent about $11k on this card.

kaaria Jan 18, 2015 1:08 pm

AMEX Personal PLAT
Called today to cancel was offered downgrade. Was told no points are being offered to keep as I was offered 10K points last year. I have $16K spend this year. I have 50K MR points that I will transfer over to AVIOS and then probably cancel the card when the renewal comes up (after I call to see if they have anything better to offer)

aznac84 Jan 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Cancelled

Called again today two months after annual fee posted (first year, $7K annual spend) - still same story, no retention offer and cancelled right away.

DanTravel Jan 19, 2015 6:30 pm

Has anyone gotten retention offer 2 years in a row? I was offered 15k last year. This will be my 3rd year with the Canada Platinum if I decide to keep it... I'm considering a high end Visa as well which gives me the added benefit of 3 weeks Emergency Medical instead of 2 - this makes a big diff.

Instead of bonus points, I suspect they are likely to try to upsell me on the new Amex Aeroplan Select or whatever the name is for their new higher end Aeroplan card with the $800 fee :(... and 50,000 aeroplan points. Hmm - I suspect I would lose all my MR points if I switched to an Aeroplan card..so no dice..

kenme1 Jan 20, 2015 9:49 am

SPG Personal
- 09/14 AF due received 7,000pts
- 01/15 called for any offers, received another 7,000pts

Well worthe the $65 AF

travel_mav Jan 20, 2015 11:11 am

Platinum Personal Card with about $12 in annual spend.

Offered to pay annual fee using a reduce MR rate (45k), or a one-off loyalty bonus of 15k MR added to my current balance.

Giving some time to think it over, but leaning towards the loyalty credit (which I was hoping to be 20k+ MR). Any suggestions?

DoctorORD Jan 20, 2015 2:30 pm

Personal platinum, 60K annual spend. Called to yell at them about treating other platinum members better (Amazon Prime, which I didn't get... I only got a 25K signup bonus... etc), all they kept doing was talking about the new Centurion lounges and how they have no control over those other offers bc it's from their marketing department. Offered and accepted 50K miles as long as I keep the card another year.

DanTravel Jan 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by DoctorORD (Post 24202766)
Personal platinum, 60K annual spend. Called to yell at them about treating other platinum members better (Amazon Prime, which I didn't get... I only got a 25K signup bonus... etc), all they kept doing was talking about the new Centurion lounges and how they have no control over those other offers bc it's from their marketing department. Offered and accepted 50K miles as long as I keep the card another year.

Yelling rarely gets you what you want.... :) Looks like you scammed 50k points though. The new Centurion lounges do seem pretty sweet....

DoctorORD Jan 21, 2015 11:48 am

Originally Posted by DanTravel (Post 24203166)
Yelling rarely gets you what you want.... :) Looks like you scammed 50k points though. The new Centurion lounges do seem pretty sweet....

I didn't actually yell at them :P It was more like "it seems really unfair that I referred so many people to platinum, told them what a great card it was, they got these great offers, and I got zilch -- since this keeps happening, please cancel my card asap" --> transferred to member services rep --> repeated the same thing --> got my bonus. No "dykwia" talk at all.

lobo411 Jan 21, 2015 12:27 pm

Canceled today. They "offered" to convert to PRG, but nothing else.