FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1290571-american-express-retention-offers-2008-2016-a.html)

jmthird Feb 8, 2015 9:06 am

Called in and spoke with retentions on my PRG since the annual fee just posted, immediately offered me 25k but also told me about the Everday Preferred card. Took the 25k.

Had about 27k in spend on my PRG last and another 10k on my platinum. Also one of the nicer reps I've ever spoken to.

cubachao Feb 10, 2015 12:44 am

Any people have luck on delta plat card?

thebigeasytraveler Feb 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy (Post 24304891)
It's really uncomfortable calling on a daily basis when they leave notes for each other that you called yesterday....

Don't give up. 30 minutes (10 of them chit chatting about travel) and i now have 25K miles. But I must say I had to HUCA (Hang up and call again).

The first dude said no offers which kinda shocked me. Spent 51K in '14. Offered to downgrade to ED. No thanks. Called back 2 mins later, explained again. Offered to downgrade, asked for 50k points for $3k spend in 90 days. Offered 16k points. Asked if there was anything more. Transferred to supervisor. Blah blah blah, chit chat, chit chat, chit chat, 25k.

I accepted. ^

MikeORD Feb 14, 2015 2:51 pm

Just called asking about conversion options for my personal Platinum. I went in assuming that my options were Green or Gold, in which case I had every intention of cancelling and shifting spend to my SPG card. I would have retained the MR program with my corporate Green.

She didn't even engage me in the conversion conversation and offered me 25k points, which I took. Let's see what happens this year. Losing Admirals Club was a bit hit for me, but they have made it worth my while to this point.

Edited to note: $45k spend in 2014

cphurley Feb 14, 2015 5:39 pm

AMEX Plat Personal, 25K MR

Short story: AMEX Plat Personal, offered 25K MR, accepted (about 80K/year spend)

Slightly longer story:
The CSR was very friendly and knowledgeable about the various recent changes to the Platinum platform. I asked about retention options for AMEX Platinum; citing the loss of AAdmirals Club and the competing cards that offere bonus points on travel/gas/grocery etc. She thanks me for my 15 years of loyalty and offered 25k points. I didn't push for me and accepted the 25K. Total phone call time about 10 minutes.

thewhitezone Feb 17, 2015 10:33 pm

Trying to get a retention offer for PRG, the rep noted that last year I received a 15k bonus right around the same date and said offers reset every 13 months so I should call back middle of next month. I don't know whether this is common knowledge but I'd never read it anywhere before. Also said new PRG benefits were going to be announced in March and taking effect in June (I think) of this year. Didn't divulge what any of the details were, only that an announcement is coming next month. I got the sense he was referring to some kind of briefing document as he was talking to me.

eajusa Feb 18, 2015 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by thewhitezone (Post 24370342)
the rep noted that last year I received a 15k bonus right around the same date and said offers reset every 13 months

Good to know.

Msmcmotown Feb 18, 2015 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by thewhitezone (Post 24370342)
Trying to get a retention offer for PRG, the rep noted that last year I received a 15k bonus right around the same date and said offers reset every 13 months so I should call back middle of next month. I don't know whether this is common knowledge but I'd never read it anywhere before. Also said new PRG benefits were going to be announced in March and taking effect in June (I think) of this year. Didn't divulge what any of the details were, only that an announcement is coming next month. I got the sense he was referring to some kind of briefing document as he was talking to me.

I was told the same thing today. Was also told that I could cancel the card and still receive full refund of AF up to 60 days after AF posts. Timing works: AF posted and 25k retention bonus accepted 3/15/14, so if I can't get a decent retention offer after 4/15/15 there's still time to cancel with full refund of AF.

YOWgary Feb 18, 2015 4:48 pm

Called to cancel personal Plat.

Agent asked why, I said "the fee is more than I feel I'm getting value for".

She said "I'm sorry to hear that" and cancelled the account, no attempt at retention.

Asked if I wanted to apply for another card - no moving the account, just a new application.

Did refund the entire 2015 fee, though I'm 2 months past the anniversary date.

Probably $20K spent in 2014, but I wasn't about to keep the card for anything under 30-40K MR, which was unlikely.

MadTownFlyer Feb 18, 2015 9:48 pm

Preferred Gold

Sat on hold for about 35 minutes before a rep answered. Was given the following options:
1. $75 credit now and another $75 with some additional spend ($1,500 I believe) in 60 days. I did not pay much attention to this offer as you can tell.
2. 5K points now and 15K points with $3,000 of spend in the next 60 days.

After the rep explained about how excited the new Preferred Gold offers will be in the future (no details of course), I went ahead and took the points as the spend is not a concern. I considered hanging up and calling again for the 25K offer but did not feel like sitting on hold any longer. In hindsight I probably should have tried again another day.

Last year I spent about $35K on the card and have reached the $30k level the last couple of years to obtain the bonus points.

smotchx Feb 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by MadTownFlyer (Post 24376560)
After the rep explained about how excited the new Preferred Gold offers will be in the future (no details of course),

I called recently and was also given vague hints of new offers coming 'soon'. Chatted for a little bit and was told new spend category bonuses (eg. dining) and when I said, "I really wish there was no forex fee", I was told that's one of them. Let's see what pans out.

mkt Feb 19, 2015 7:54 am

Not a bonus, but an odd retention offer.

I have 3x Amex charge cards, Green, PRG, and Corporate Plat.

I called to cancel the green in hopes of getting the AF waived (rinse repeat in a few months for the PRG), and was instead offered to product change it into an Everyday Credit Card, which has no AF.

This would be interesting, as the tradeline wouldn't be affected... however, I don't know if I should. I said thanks and I'll think about it.

mia Feb 19, 2015 8:34 am

Originally Posted by mkt (Post 24378272)
... instead offered to product change it into an Everyday Credit Card, which has no AF.

If you speak with them again, ask if this would actually be a product change, or if you would be submitting an application for the Everyday Card, and if you would receive the standard new account bonus (10,000 points). It is unusual for American Express to convert a charge card to a credit card.

NYCRuss Feb 19, 2015 8:36 am

Originally Posted by mkt (Post 24378272)
Not a bonus, but an odd retention offer.

I have 3x Amex charge cards, Green, PRG, and Corporate Plat.

I called to cancel the green in hopes of getting the AF waived (rinse repeat in a few months for the PRG), and was instead offered to product change it into an Everyday Credit Card, which has no AF.

This would be interesting, as the tradeline wouldn't be affected... however, I don't know if I should. I said thanks and I'll think about it.

I'd close the Green and apply for the ED, unless you plan on applying for a mortgage in the next six months because of the inquiry. Otherwise, one inquiry is not a big deal. Your closed Green stays on your credit reports for ten years. Your new Amex will report as account opened with the year of your MSD date, but in the month when the card is opened. So if your first Amex ever was opened in September, 2005, and you open an ED this month, it will report as an account opened in February, 2005. That old account will usually give you a positive boost greater than the negative impact of one inquiry. After one year, that hard pull no longer affects your FICO scores, but that extra old positive trade line does! Also, applying for the ED separately allows you to get the signup bonus.

goodeats21 Feb 20, 2015 7:44 am

Called in to possibly cancel my PRG personal card. $175 fee due.

$13k in spend last year, almost all in bonus categories. 8K of airfare, 1.5K of gas/grocery. I also have a corporate green card with higher spend ~$40k. I have no idea if the green card spend makes a difference???

Offered/accepted 25,000 MR points and used 17,500 to pay the annual fee so came out ahead 7,500 MR points just for calling.