FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1290571-american-express-retention-offers-2008-2016-a.html)

diver858 Mar 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Initiated online chat to cancel AMEX Biz Plat, explained to agent that I can no longer justify the annual fee now that it no longer provides access to AA Admirals Club. She offered some downgrade options - no accompanying offers - so I cancelled the card.

Tofe Mar 25, 2015 4:06 pm

amex hilton surpass - called in, no retention offers; only an option to downgrade to the no annual fee Hilton card which I did.

amex prg - called in, no retention offers; only offer to downgrade card. I hung up and went online chat and was offered $100 statement credit or 8000 points. Took the statement credit.

thewhitezone Mar 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Tofe (Post 24564875)

amex prg - called in, no retention offers; only offer to downgrade card. I hung up and went online chat and was offered $100 statement credit or 8000 points. Took the statement credit.

I wish. Having zero luck with my PRG. Annual fee due now. I called a month ago and they told me offers reset every 13 months (as I noted further up in the thread.) So tried again today, safely past the 13-month mark and got nowhere on the phone (twice) and once via chat. I have two weeks before the fee is due. I really want to keep the card but I don't use it enough to justify the fee.

Does anyone know whether when the new benefits and higher fee roll out later this year, will that make the PRG a "new" card i.e. I can apply for the bonus again? At this point, I'm thinking I'm going to cancel. I practically told one of the reps, just give me anything, a token offer and I'll keep it open. No dice.

jcsimard Mar 27, 2015 4:58 pm

If you get an offer on first anniversary, is there any chance of getting one the following year?

fliesdelta Mar 27, 2015 6:43 pm

When you have multiple Amex cards, are the offers calculated per-card or per-cardmember?

I've two personal Amex cards, Delta Plat and the regular Plat, the Delta Plat has seen about $50K/year of usage for the last three years, but the regular Plat had about $5K the last year. The fee just posted on the regular Plat, so I have a few weeks to decide what to do, but I wonder what the chances are of having any retention offers on it.

chongl Mar 27, 2015 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by jcsimard (Post 24576255)
If you get an offer on first anniversary, is there any chance of getting one the following year?

I got one in my 2nd year

mh4ll Mar 28, 2015 8:22 am

Blue Cash Preferred retention offers

I searched this forum but didn't turn anything up one way or the other, which seemed strange. I have the BCP and the annual fee hit this statement. Are retention offers generally available for this card? What have others received?

Card is about a year old, with spend almost exclusively in 6% and 3% bonus categories. I have a ~4 year relationship with Amex, and high spend on my Business Gold. Interested to know what to expect/shoot for before I call.

mia Mar 28, 2015 10:48 am

Moderator action

Originally Posted by mh4ll (Post 24578588)
I searched this forum but didn't turn anything up one way or the other,

I have moved you question into the retention offers thread. To find reference to your card use: Search this Thread with the term: "BCP" (include the quotation marks). Note that this thread was restarted in January. Follow the link in the Wikipost at the top of thread to open the previous thread, and search there as well.

dfwtravelgirl Mar 28, 2015 10:54 am

I love this website! It's so great to see offers that people receive that I wouldn't know otherwise. So I called Amex today after seeing that our PRG card would get a increase to $195 in June. My current rate is $175 which I am being billed this month so I wanted to know if they were going to charge me the additional $20 in June. So while I am sitting on hold I am reading all these post that people are receiving offers to keep their card and when the rep gets on the phone I tell he that I have had my amex or 35yrs and never have received anything. We we got our card amex didn't offer points on spend or a fee waive for the first year. He told me that since my husband was the cardholder and I am just an administrative person on the acct he could not offer me anything and to have my husband call him back. Really!!! I think it's time to use the points and cancel the card.

mia Mar 28, 2015 11:05 am

Originally Posted by dfwtravelgirl (Post 24579228)
... since my husband was the cardholder and I am just an administrative person on the acct he could not offer me anything and to have my husband call him back. .

I am not sure what the agent meant by administrative person, but Supplementary cardholders do not have the same authority of the primary cardholder. Has your husband formally designated you as an Account Manager? If not, or if you are not sure, I can tell you where this setting is buried on the website.

elg26 Mar 30, 2015 8:43 am

Morgan Stanley Credit Card (not charge card) - $95 AF posted last week. Called today and only offered 500 MR and another 1,000 MR if spend $1,000.

Had $22m spend in 2014 - $25 m would have gotten me a $100 statement credit. When I mentioned this to the account manager to try to get a $100 statement credit said sorry couldn't do.

I got the impression he felt bad for me but was handcuffed from what his computer was spitting out.

He did offer to roll me into the Everyday card...with no annual fee and a 10,000MR bonus with spend... told him would think about it...

linglingfool Mar 30, 2015 3:42 pm

Does anyone have clarity when exactly the clock resets for the 13 month rule? I called and received an AF waiver a week after my fee hit last year, so trying to determine if I need to wait for 13 months after the AF in question posted, or if it's 13 months from the day the retention offer was accepted. I put enough on my PRG to trigger the 15k MR bonus last year, and although a decent chunk was in bonus categories, I have to imagine they'd offer something.

WWang Mar 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Amex Personal Platinum with $35k annual spend and I've had the Platinum card since 2012. Offer was $200 statement credit or 5,000 point bonus immediately and 10,000 points added with $3k spend in 60 days. Took the $200.

levilevi Mar 30, 2015 8:56 pm

Wife's Biz Gold - $175 fee posted and statement closed 2 days ago. We called in - $25k spend last year. Card open for 1 year. Almost seemed like no offer was on the table, finally after he was through the benefits (and saying maybe we should consider another card), he said $50 statement credit or 7,500 MR - we said we'd think about it ... thoughts?
Take the MR points or push for more?

jaxbill Mar 30, 2015 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by WWang (Post 24591837)
Amex Personal Platinum with $35k annual spend and I've had the Platinum card since 2012. Offer was $200 statement credit or 5,000 point bonus immediately and 10,000 points added with $3k spend in 60 days. Took the $200.

Same card and similar spend. Was offered a $200 statement credit.